Wheelchair vs stroller

tinkerbelletreasure

DIS Veteran
My Son is 11, and autistic. We’ve always used DAS(or GAC) and we’ve always used the stroller as a wheelchair option since it provides him a good place to decompress and not get claustrophobic. But now that he’s 11, he’s really too big for an actual stroller. I have a small wheelchair I’ve thought about bringing. But I’m torn between thinking it will be a hassle at the times when he wants to walk, but I’m afraid of not having it if he needs to sit and decompress. And I know I could rent one there if it becomes necessary, but that adds up. We are driving, so flying with it isn’t an issue. How do other people deal with that too big for a stroller age?

I would ask him if he is able to give his opinion. If you have it he can walk if he wants to and use the wheelchair when he needs too.

I know that some older kids prefer to use a wheelchair, and then use a hoodie and maybe even sunglasses to get the "privacy" feeling to help decompress a bit.

During the hotter months, you would probably want to use a thin, cotton hoodie so he doesn't overheat.

I think if it was me I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Renting a chair in Orlando is certainly an option, but I don't know if they'd have smaller sizes.

Our son who has special needs is 19 but quite small for his age. He uses a Convaid Cruiser Stroller. In just doing a Google search it looks like there are a few companies that you could rent a special needs stroller from. I'm sure it would be much more comfortable for you son to spend a day in. The regular wheelchairs at Disney are not the most comfortable chairs.

You can leave the wheelchair in stroller parking in each area if you don't want to use it at certain times. I agree with all the others who say bring it just in case :)

I would bring the wheelchair for him. I think most 11yr olds would prefer it to a stroller. The lightweight hoodie is a great idea. Or even a towel coming up over the back of his chair draped over his head.

I would bring the wheelchair for him. I think most 11yr olds would prefer it to a stroller. The lightweight hoodie is a great idea. Or even a towel coming up over the back of his chair draped over his head.

Or a clip-on umbrella, if it is small enough - not much wider than the wheelchair. I know I saw a wheelchair at MK that had an attached umbrella that was just the right size, plus it had a hinged part so it could be angled.

51-ZTL08TkL._SL1001_.jpg

FWIW I'm 5'1' and 120 pounds and I fit in the small chair from walker mobility quite nicely! I think they said it had a 14" seat? (Don't quote me!)

My Son is 11, and autistic. We’ve always used DAS(or GAC) and we’ve always used the stroller as a wheelchair option since it provides him a good place to decompress and not get claustrophobic. But now that he’s 11, he’s really too big for an actual stroller. I have a small wheelchair I’ve thought about bringing. But I’m torn between thinking it will be a hassle at the times when he wants to walk, but I’m afraid of not having it if he needs to sit and decompress. And I know I could rent one there if it becomes necessary, but that adds up. We are driving, so flying with it isn’t an issue. How do other people deal with that too big for a stroller age?
We have rented a special needs stroller from Orlando Medical the last 4 trips we have taken. Our son is 18, 4'12" and 115 lbs. Runs about $160ish for 7 days depending on the stroller. The service is wonderful. they bring the stroller right to your resort and pick it up from there when you are ready to leave. It has been a God Send with our DS as he gets tired and his hips bother him after long days. they have a number of options for bigger kids. They even brought a different one to us one trip when we realized the first one we rented just wasn't working (he was just a bit to big)...with no extra charge. Another time they actually brought 2 different ones for us to look at before we decided on which one to use.

I bought a Convaid for my adult son (autism and Downs). He hunches forward for some reason in a WC, and the Convaid sits at an angle, which is much better for him. He can get in and out easily, he flips the footrests back and forth, entering and exiting. He has the biggest size, 18", as he is 160 pounds. He has the Metro style.

Our son is 4'12".
I know that this is a typo, but it made me :) Is he 4'11"? It must be hard to be 18 and under 5' - I hope people are nice to him! (I come from a short family, at 5'3" I tower over my aunts, and my 5'9" daughter is considered a giant. A few of my cousins are also under 5' tall - so I've heard all the teasing and mean stuff others do about height issues :( )

I know that this is a typo, but it made me :) Is he 4'11"? It must be hard to be 18 and under 5' - I hope people are nice to him! (I come from a short family, at 5'3" I tower over my aunts, and my 5'9" daughter is considered a giant. A few of my cousins are also under 5' tall - so I've heard all the teasing and mean stuff others do about height issues :( )
haha Yes he is 4' 11"....this is what happens when I don't put my glasses on!!! We have never had any issues with anyone teasing him. We have a great community and school...the kids have always been very supportive of all our special needs kids

My DD16 uses a wheelchair for Disney and other places where theres a lot of movement and people. A few times we've left it with stroller parking when she's wanted to walk the lines etc. I've seen a few wheelchairs doing just that. We rent from offsite as its a lot easier and you know what you're getting. She's in an adult chair now, last time I can't remember where we rented from, but they had small adult/older child sizes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts