Wheelchair question

Xrox

Earning My Ears
Hi all,

I reached out to WDW disability services but didn't hear back so I thought I'd ask my 2 questions here:

1 - Are there wheelchairs available at the start of each ride line? Note, we do not want or need a wheelchair to move around, only to remain still. This is because my daughter has a congenital vascular malformation throughout her left foot that pools blood and causes severe pain when she is still for long periods of time. Otherwise, she can run around like most kids.

2 - Which rides have outdoor stand-by lines? We would like to avoid those. The heat makes her condition worse by increasing blood flow. So even in a wheelchair, it is a problem when in the heat. She needs to be walking to keep the blood flowing out of her malformation.

Actually, that sounds like a condition definitely eligible for the DAS. Hers clearly is not an issue that can be helped by a mobility aid like a wheelchair.

I'd apply for that instead of trying to find a wheelchair. You likely won't find one available at ride entries.

Simply mention that your daughter cannot stand still for long, needs to keep moving, and cannot wait outdoors in the heat.

You needn't explain more than that.

Maybe. There are wheelchairs at attractions which don't allow ECVs. But whether they will allow anyone to walk up and use those would be the question since they are intended for people to swap from an ECV to the wheelchair. Plus sometimes there is a wait simply because the wheelchairs haven't been returned back to the entrance yet. I suggest bringing your own wheelchair or stroller (depending on her age). No need for her to ride in it all the time, just when needed; otherwise it can be used to haul your bags. Or maybe a rollator will work so she can sit at times and move about at times.

Outdoor queues - it sometimes depends on the crowds. More people means longer queues which will sometimes extend outdoors.

Actually, that sounds like a condition definitely eligible for the DAS. Hers clearly is not an issue that can be helped by a mobility aid like a wheelchair.

I'd apply for that instead of trying to find a wheelchair. You likely won't find one available at ride entries.

Simply mention that your daughter cannot stand still for long, needs to keep moving, and cannot wait outdoors in the heat.

You needn't explain more than that.
We may try and apply but due to the limitations on guests (5), we were thinking the wheelchair option would work best for us. While we would rather not have a wheelchair to move around, renting one at the gate and avoiding outdoor lines may be the best compromise. I also never thought about the poor optics of her taking a wheelchair after seemingly walking around just fine.

I called and they put me in touch with a disability services rep. They would rather us use a DAS pass than the wheelchairs as there are not many of them at the ride entrances and they are for transfer purposes as lanejudy mentioned above. So it is the pass or we have an empty wheelchair with us at all times and avoid any outdoor lineups. Trying to avoid that pass as we don't really want to split up for rides, and I'm sure we can find a way to manage the empty wheelchair. I think the pass is more for people who have trouble around close crowds and bathroom issues...etc

The wheelchairs Disney has for rent at the gates are clunky and sometimes not in great condition, I've seen people post. Also, as a PP mentioned, it's going to be difficult to avoid outdoor rides with lines extending beyond a sun shelter if there is any. Quite a few have no canopy.

The DAS is for any medical issue that can't be helped by mobility aids. It's sometimes casually called "the invisible issues pass." As a result, I agree with what you were told and am uncertain why you feel your daughter is less entitled than anyone else with a serious condition.

Since you seem to have concluded you'll make do with a wheelchair, have you considered renting one from an agency to have with you for the duration of your stay? Those will be in good condition and could be gotten in a size appropriate for your daughter. The in-park ones are not only adult-sized but first-come which might easily leave you with none at all or a chair that's in less desirable condition.

Who cares about the optics. Anyone side-eyeing a kid with a wheelchair has their own issues. Do what is right for your family’s health.

The pass is for people with issues with lines. That’s you, friend.

If you’re staying onsite, I rented a “transport “ wheelchair from Scooterbug in June. I can’t walk 10 miles a day anymore. It was waiting for us at Bell Services POFQ and I dropped it off there the night before we left . I think it was $10 a day. My husband folded it up and held onto it on the buses to & from the parks.

not sure if this would be allowed but would a collapsible stool help? They’re lightweight and could allow your daughter to sit rather than stand when the line is at a standstill:

For example, from Amazon:
https://a.co/d/01SNlVX

Nevermind, not allowed.

Last edited:
Maybe worth mentioning you can get a stroller as wheelchair tag, depending on how old/big your kid is. Then you could bring the stroller in the line also.

Who cares about the optics. Anyone side-eyeing a kid with a wheelchair has their own issues. Do what is right for your family’s health.

The pass is for people with issues with lines. That’s you, friend.
but the chairs at the rides that have them and not all do are for people having to transfer from scooter to wheelchair and they do not have an endless supply of them. could be why she would not be allowed to use

but the chairs at the rides that have them and not all do are for people having to transfer from scooter to wheelchair and they do not have an endless supply of them. could be why she would not be allowed to use
OP was worried about the optics of bringing their own mostly-unused wheelchair. That would be my last concern.

OP was worried about the optics of bringing their own mostly-unused wheelchair. That would be my last concern.
That was very much an afterthought for OP. They mentioned a couple of times that they don’t want to split up their group.

If they don’t think DAS is the best option for them, that’s their choice.

I called and they put me in touch with a disability services rep. They would rather us use a DAS pass than the wheelchairs as there are not many of them at the ride entrances and they are for transfer purposes as lanejudy mentioned above. So it is the pass or we have an empty wheelchair with us at all times and avoid any outdoor lineups. Trying to avoid that pass as we don't really want to split up for rides, and I'm sure we can find a way to manage the empty wheelchair. I think the pass is more for people who have trouble around close crowds and bathroom issues...etc
Depending on your party size, they can make accomodations for larger parties than 6 on the DAS, but generally only in person.

Ultimately your call on what works best for your needs though.

Not sure how the DAS is going to help, as there is still waiting there, and it can be up to 10-20 minutes for some of the more popular rides. If this happens, and she needs to move, have her pace in a small space you create - have her in the middle of your group, and she can take a few steps up and down the queue. Be prepared to have issues queueing for QS and transportation as well. Mobile order will be your friend for meals, but I'm not sure how you'd handle the bus/tram queues?

To avoid heat, could you go in late fall, the winter or early spring? The heat is going to get you just walking through the parks more than in the queues, IMO. Disney does a good job with fans, shade umbrellas, etc. But the walk from the front to the back of the park can be brutal.

Not sure how the DAS is going to help, as there is still waiting there, and it can be up to 10-20 minutes for some of the more popular rides. If this happens, and she needs to move, have her pace in a small space you create - have her in the middle of your group, and she can take a few steps up and down the queue. Be prepared to have issues queueing for QS and transportation as well. Mobile order will be your friend for meals, but I'm not sure how you'd handle the bus/tram queues?

To avoid heat, could you go in late fall, the winter or early spring? The heat is going to get you just walking through the parks more than in the queues, IMO. Disney does a good job with fans, shade umbrellas, etc. But the walk from the front to the back of the park can be brutal.
Thanks!! All good suggestions. My daughter's venous malformation is in a really tough spot physically (i.e. - foot). This creates this unique dynamic where she needs to be in motion to drain the blood from it. It looks like she is restless but in reality she is just doing it to reduce the pain. When she was younger it used to be painful both to walk, and to remain still. The only way to help it back then was to lie down with her foot elevated to drain the blood. Now she is on an experimental drug that has been a miracle for her. Her favorite thing to do now is walk/run as it keeps the pain away.

If she needs to elevate, first aid has cots. I still think a wheelchair would be handy to have. Places to sit (and elevate a foot) are few and far between at WDW. Bringing your own "seat" could be very helpful, especially if it has a way to elevate the foot (foot rest adjusts)

I would bring the wheelchair. We use one for my Mom all the time now. When we first got it, she did more walking and I would have her push it like a walker with the backpack or something in the chair. Now that her health has gone down more, she rides the majority of the time. I just like knowing that I always have a spot for her to sit when she needs one. She now has the rollator for home use and that has been great for her too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter