Whats was everyones hit/miss at this year Food and Wine?

Mac4life30

DIS Veteran
A couple hit of mines were Trick'n Chicken,Canadian Cheese Soup, White Corn Arepa with Mangalitsa Pork Rilette and Zellwood Sweet Corn Salad,Schinken Nudel, Spinach and Paneer Pocket and the Kalua Pork Slider.

Misses Merguez Sausage in Morocco

I hit every booth, at least once.

Hits:

Griddled cheese in Greece
Coq Au Vin in France
Mongolian Beef/Steamed Bun in China
Shrimp Tacos in Mexico

Misses:

Schinken Nudel in Germany
Lobster Roll in Hops/Barley
Pork Slider in Hawaii
Any of the beers

Food---

Hits:
Grilled beef skewer from Argentina
Natilla de Cajeta from Mexico
Taste of Scandinavia
Mango tapioca pudding from China
Dessert and Champagne Trio
Beef Rendang from Singapore
Zapiekanki from Poland

Misses:
Lamb chop from Australia (overcooked, flavorless pesto, stale crunchies)
Merguez in Morocco (tiny dried out and overcooked sausage, soggy pita)
Coq au vin in France (freshness issues)
Roast Bratwurst in Pretzel roll in Germany (stale bun, boring sausage)
Filet in Canada (overcooked, almost no sauce)

Drinks -

Hits:
-Prosecco in Italy
-Angry Orchard Cider at Hops and Barley
-Lime and strawberry marg in Mexico
-Schofferhofer Grapefruit from Brewer's Collection
-Sparkling Pomegranate Kir in France

Misses:
-Chocolate Bock at Hops and Barley
-Sunny Guava in China
-Soju Fruit Slushy in South Korea

hits -
shrimp taco Mexico
filet Canada
cheese soup Canada
beef bun China

and nearly all of the culinary demos I did - about 10 I'd say

misses -
fondue Cheese

Favorite to least favorite...

Hits
Dark Chocolate Mousse with Chili and Salted Caramel –The first one I had was amazing…the second was good, but not great.
Crispy Shrimp Taco with Chipotle Lime Mayo and Cabbage Served on a Flour Tortilla- Perfect!
Kalua Pork Slider with Sweet and Sour Dole Pineapple Chutney and Spicy Mayonnaise-Amazing, the meat was moist and flavorful, complimented well by the chutney and Mayonnaise
White Corn Arepa with Mangalitsa Pork Rilette and Zellwood Sweet Corn Salad-Exceeded expectations
Warm Chocolate Lava Cake with Baileys Irish Cream Ganache-I don’t like cake, so I never wasted the money before. I am kicking myself.
Mongolian Beef in a Steamed Bun-Simple, yet tasty.
Beef Rendang with Jasmine Rice-Wow, what a kick!
Lettuce Wrap with Roast Pork and Kimchi Slaw-Exceeded expectations…different flavor profile for me.
Yogurt Panna Cotta with Orange Cake, Raspberries and Pomegranate-Expected this to be gross…but I really liked it…tasted like a dreamsicle.

Middle of the road…Glad I got, but don’t necessarily need to eat next year!
Taco de Filete with Cascabel Pepper Sauce and Scallions Served on a Flour Tortilla
Seared Filet of Beef with Smashed Sweet Potatoes and Braai Sauce-Not that special, though the meat was well prepared.
Griddled Greek Cheese with Pistachios and Honey-Like the flavor combo…but really hard to due right at a festival. Would get a restaurant where I could get it fresh.
Lamb Meatball with Spicy Tomato Chutney-Loved the chutney, the lamb was fine.
Ropa Vieja (braised beef) with Cilantro Rice-Pretty boring, tastes like the taco seasoning I use at home.
Pork Potstickers –Good, but I can get it anywhere.
Salsiccia e "Papacelli" Napoletani (Sweet Italian Sausage with Peppers and Onions on Ciaibatta Bread)-Sausage was almost cold.
Ravioli Di Formaggia all Emiliana (Baked Cheese Ravioli with Creamy Beef Bolognese Sauce, Parmesean Cheese, and Melted Mozzarella)-Just okay.
Karaage Hand Roll (Crispy Chicken Breast with Sushi Rice and Spicy Mayonnaise-Just Okay

Blek!
Lemon Custard Verrine with Blueberry Compote-I normally like lemon and blueberry…but this was too sour.
Spinach and Paneer Cheese Pocket-The filling had a nice spice but the bread/pocket was not good.
Sukiyaki Beef Pan (Marinated Thinly Sliced Rib Eye with Sauteed Onions and Teriyaki Sauce Served in a Bun)-a mini hot dog bun with fatty beef. Ick.
Pumpkin Mousse with Craisins and Orange Sauce-Orange juice and pumpkin do not go together in my opinion.

My favorite was the mahi mahi with spicy soy-based sauce at Singapore, the one I will never get again is the South Korea mung bean and shrimp pancake.

Let me preface by saying that Food and Wine has lost its charm for me, I had more disappointments than hits! We weren't planning to go but were given a free hotel room so with AP's there we were 2 week-ends ago! My son (16) and I, both foodies, shared these dishes.

Hits:
France - Escargot, tasty, tender and fun in their little edible bowls, My son loved them!
France - Coq au Vin, flavorful but not outstanding.
France - Chocolate Creme Brulee - Yum!
Canada - Filet w/ mushrooms, cooked medium to a little rare. Fabulous!
China - Seasoned beef in a moist bun!
Mexico - White Corn Arepa with Mangalitsa Pork Rilettes. Loved it
Korea - ? Lettuce Wrap with Roast Pork and Kimchi Slaw, I love kimchi.

Not a hit but not a miss category:
New Zealand - Lamb Meatball w/ onion and tomatoes in a pastry cup. The meatball fantastic, moist, terrific flavor. Too much sauce & the pastry was sodden and nasty!
Canada - Cheddar Cheese Soup - Flavor good, needed to cook longer the veg. were still crispy!
Italy - Cheese Ravioli, overcooked. ( In all fairness, I was stuffed at this point, should have passed!)

Misses:
Greece- Spanakopita, filling bland, bottom,soggy, uncooked. Frankly the frozen ones at Costco are better!
Greece- Greek Salad, nice flavor but really limp greens.
Morocco - Mergues in a pita pocket! Had great difficulty finding the 1" piece of mergues in all of that green pepper and onion goo . These should be grilled to showcase their flavor, not steamed and served in a damp pita pocket.
Australia - Lamb Chop, gristly & overcooked! Very Disappointed!
New Zealand - Scallops, the smell alone drove me away! All I could do to wait for my meatball!

As far as drinks, I can't drink when it's hot and early in the day, so fizzy water from France and Italy and a coke from Morocco!

It had been several years since I attended Food and Wine, now I won't miss it when I can't go!

I passed on this, intending to go back a bit later but didn't make it! Maybe that was a good thing!

Definitely a good thing to miss. While it didn't make my bottom 3, it was pretty bad. The fondue itself was way overpowering and the bread it was served with was truly awful.

I passed on this, intending to go back a bit later but didn't make it! Maybe that was a good thing!

Yeah - I was really shocked at how bad it actually was:crazy2: - almost cold and a curdled consistency - think this must just be hard to do right in a festival type setting.

Definitely a good thing to miss. While it didn't make my bottom 3, it was pretty bad. The fondue itself was way overpowering and the bread it was served with was truly awful.

I didn't get to go this year, but the only really bad thing that I had last year was the cheese fondue.

Top Five -
1. Pork Slider - Hawaii
2. Chili Colorado & Homemade Chips - Terra
3. Filet - Canada
4. Shrimp Taco - Mexico
5. Wurst in Pretzel Roll - Germany

Other Hits -
Waffle - Belgium
Lettuce Wraps - South Korea
Seafood Pie - Ireland
Coq au Vin - France

Misses -
Griddled Cheese - Greece
Trick'n Chik'n Curry - Terra
Beef Pan - Japan

Hits:
Lamb chop / austrailia (absolutely GREAT)
Beef chimichurri skewer / Argentina
Pork slider / Hawaii
Creme Brûlée / France
mango tapioca pudding / China

Misses:
Lots of obnoxious drunks (and I love drunks)

What makes a drunk obnoxious, in your reckoning?

This year: Very loud, bad language (the "f" bomb every tihird word, it seemed), puking in the bushes and extremely rude comments directed at passing guests.

I don't mind good times but some of what I saw could easily lead to physical altercations if directed at the wrong type of person. I'm not too happy to see that at Epcot.

HITS

Loved the lobster and seafood pie in Ireland. A bit pricey but delicious
Lettuce wrap
Coq au vin - nice size serving and really good
Lamb chop with mint pesto

Canada - Filet Mignon with the Truffle butter sauce = spectacular!

Fife & Drum - Red Stag Honey Tea Lemonade w/Jim Beam = Can't get enough!

I honestly can't think of any misses. They might not have been favorites, but it was all wonderful.

Absolutely LOVE F & W Festival! :goodvibes

It is the way of the world that nearly every hit appears on someone else's miss list.

Personally

Hits
Kalua Pork Slider
Beef Rendang
Mongolian Beef in a steamed Bun

Misses
Pasta thing from Germany (can't even think about it).

It was our first time at the Food and Wine festival and we loved every minute save for one Saturday night although thank goodness we were just passing through not planning to eat.

My favorites (Hits) were:
Lobster Roll (Hops & Barley) - nice big chunks of lobster and good flavor
Cannoli al Cioccolato (Italy) - chocolate!
Coq au Vin sur Gratin de Macaroni (France) - good flavor
Grilled Beef Skewer with Chimichurri Sauce and Boniato Puree (Argentina) - loved the Chimichurri sauce
Lettuce Wrap with Roast Pork and Kimchi Slaw (South Korea) - pork was very juicy
Lobster and Seafood Fisherman's Pie (Ireland) - piping hot and lots of seafood
Dark Chocolate Mousse with Chili and Salted Caramel (Desserts & Champagne) - more chocolate!

My least favorite (Misses) were:
Harissa (Morocco) - to spicy
Beef Rendang with Jasmine Rice (Singapore) - oh my, this was way to spicy for me...I only took one bite and that was it
Schinken Nudel (Germany) - mushy
Spinach and Paneer Cheese Pocket (South Africa) - spicy, but with no real flavor otherwise
Trick'n Chick'n Curry with Basmati Rice (Terra) - just couldn't get past the weird consistency of the "chick'n"

It's all pretty darn good! :thumbsup2

A big surprise hit for us was Canada. We usually skip it because we're from Seattle, go to Canada, etc. but the food was from Le Cellier!

We got a cheese/beer soup and one of the filet mignon tastes. The filet was $6.50 so a bit more than most of the bites, but dang, it was outstanding! We'll never skip Canada again!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter