• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What's the youngest age you would bring a baby and still have an enjoyable trip?

Such a personal choice. We chose to wait til ours were weaned and on sippy cups as I would never have nursed in public and we didn't want the hassle of bottles or keeping milk cold, etc. One of ours was 14 months and took his first steps to Mickey Mouse at MGM which we have forever on video!

We were there this past May and elected to leave our 1 year old at home. We are going back in LESS THAN 3 WEEKS (little excited about that!) and we have again elected to leave our littlest one at home (he's now just shy of 2 years). We know that we will be going back several more times as our children grow older, so I don't feel so bad leaving him. Also, it is easier for us to make the decison because we have several extended family members to care for him.

we took ds at 9 months. great trip as he wasn't mobile yet. he was on baby food and that was a minor pain to bring jars to the park but not bad.

we are leaving saturday and ds is now 2yrs9m and this is his third trip! we're also taking our ds, 4 months.

it is much easier to bring a non-mobile baby than a toddler. the harness is my friend :)

I don't have kids yet, but my wife and I have discussed this. We're actually planning our last trip to Walt Disney World for a long time because we just don't want to have to deal with an infant in the Florida sun and heat.

Please bear in mind that I'm not saying anything is wrong with you if you choose to do that. It really is entirely a personal decision.

Having said all that, we agreed that probably 7 or 8 years old would be a good time for us to start taking our kid(s).

i don't have children yet, but my plan is to bring them when they are old enough to walk w/o a stroller :teeth:
my parents took me for the first time when i turned six, and that was perfect. i understood what was going on, had a great time, and still have some precious memories. i would not have been happy to have gone when i was too young to remember it.

We recently took our youngest DD to WDW at the age of 13 months. We had a good time, but it was not our most enjoyable trip. Taking a baby was pretty stressful for many reasons. You need to pack a lot more items such as diapers, baby food, formula, bibs, extra clothes and etc. You need to plan nap time and plan activities during the day that keeps the baby out of the heat. I don't want to scare you, and I can honestly say that if I had to do it again I would, but it was stressful.

My favorite age so far for taking a child to WDW was the age of 2. This was when we took DD#1 for the first time. It was nice that she ate off the menu and had no formula to drink. This was just a great age.

I am really looking forward to our next trip in Sept. because DD#2 will be 2 and the vacation will be a lot easier.

We took DD#1 when she was almost 9 months old. IMO this was a great time, she was happy, content, easy to take care of, but couldn't run away from us.

DD#2 1st trip will be in 5 weeks. She will be turning 7 months old then.

Actully the soonest I would take her is around now, maybe 4 months at the earliest. I think about 7 months should be great, since she will be able to sit up on her own with out having the car seat at restrants and such.

so to sum up............. 6 months. (but it really depends on the child, their temperment and the parents abitlity to travel well.)

HI...you've gotten plenty of good replies, but wanted to add my two cents for what it is worth.

We went when my daughter was in utero...no probs except that the guys at Space Mt gave my husband and 2 friends a hard time about my riding being pregnant...they were all 3 doctors.

Then, when she was 6 and 11 months old....It was SOOOOOO FUN. She loved the characters (too young, I think, to be scared!) , she slept when we went on dark rides (Presidents Hall and American Pavillion would be good)..her fav ride was It's a Small World and she got a teensy scared in Pirates...but I kinda squeaked when we went down the first drop and she picked up on it from me.

Having a stroller was so important...becasue we carried a huge video camera (back then they were HUGE) with us....We stayed at the Poly and spent afternoons swimiming, relaxing in the sun while she slept in her stroller.

Great memories.

I think when they are wee...they won't remember anything, but they are sure easy...especially if you are breast feeding. We traveled to Hawaii, on cruises, to WDW and Hilton Head all when ours was under a year...and those are some of my best memories and fav all time photos.

Think of it as your baby's 'introduction' to Mickey....and of course YOU deserve a vacation after birthin that baby, don't ya think?

Congrats on your new addition
Colorado Belle

Our son has been on 3 trips with us - once at 6 weeks, once at 6 months, and once at 1 year.

We have had a blast each time, but obviously the first trip at 6 weeks had a very slow pace to it. We would not have gone that early with him except that it was a free trip.

The trips at 6 months and 1 year were really lots of fun. We are taking him back in March when he will be 18 monts and we can't wait.

My only advice is to have very low expectations for what you can see and do, but we felt the slower pace was no big deal when you compare it to seeing Disney through your child's eyes for the first time!

We first took our DD at 6.... not because we WOULDN'T have taken her a bit earlier, but she didn't reach the magic height of 40" until then... and things she could ride at the local theme park in VA she couldn't ride at WDW, due to differences in height restrictions. My brother has 1 year twins and now thinks that 6 is the magic number....however, I live down here and if they come to visit, they are definitely going to MK, if nowhere else, because I will take them myself!

The first time we brought our kids they were 16 months, 5, and 8. My little guy loved it. For the bigger rides, dh and I took turns waiting with him while the other one rode with the girls. Of course, he doesn't remember a thing, so we're taking them all back this year (5, 9, 12).

If you're going for yourselves or other children, I would go at any age. If you're going for the youngest child, I would wait until he's at least 3-4 (assuming he's not a runner) and then bring him back when he's old enough to remember and go on the bigger rides. If you bring an infant and he's not old enough for sunblock, you need to be extremely careful.

disney4us2002 said:
Such a personal choice. We chose to wait til ours were weaned and on sippy cups as I would never have nursed in public and we didn't want the hassle of bottles or keeping milk cold, etc. One of ours was 14 months and took his first steps to Mickey Mouse at MGM which we have forever on video!

Speaking of nursing at Disneyworld - the Tomorrowland Transit Authority is a perfect place to nurse and pass the time while waiting for others to finish riding!

I think it depends on your child, your comfort of having the child out in public, and how you view a disney trip.

We first took Holden when he was a little over three months old. But we weren't too concerned about seeing anything or doing anything in particular. We took him on some of the dark rides (I think only Pooh and Pan and Pirates), and watched spectro magic from the train station, which he loved. I have this great memory of him watching the parade, just entranced, and then that spot came when all the colored lights switch to white lights at the same instance and he just SPAT his passy out, he was so amazed. One thing is, his grandmother is in Florida and his Aunt comes down, so these aren't high pressure trips at all. We all stayed in a 2-bedroom villa at OKW and stayed a litlte over a week. We went to the pool, the living seas, that sort of thing. Just on our own schedule. Of course the washer and drier and dishwasher (bottles) helped a lot, and the big tub didn't hurt either. Yes, you do have to think about diapers, bottles, etc. We rented a car and trips to super walmart were made.

We took him again when he was 9 months or so. This was a family trip with about 25 or so people, and again, we weren't concerned about seeing anything in particular with him, and had lots of folks who wanted to spend time with him and hang out, and manage time with him. Again, Holden was on his own pace. He visited with characters and I have a really fond memory of him sitting on sleeping beauty's lap on a park bench at the international gateway. Chip and Dale held him. Or maybe that was the first trip, anyway, it was a lot of fun. We had 3 2-bedrooms for our group at the bcv, so the location helped. He really likes the living seas, I think this may be one of the best attractions for babies.

We went to mgm and saw playhouse disney and he had fun there.

Those first two trips we would only go to parks or something for less than 4 hours, fitting that around Holden's feeding schedule. That wasn't a hard and fast rule we came up with beforehand or anything, just what we realized we were doing. The baby care centers are great.

Direct flights are a good thing, but always over-prepare for the flight because you never know what will happen at the airport. Bring extra diapers, food in case of delays. Four months olds are easier on a plane than one year olds.

We just took him for a short trip a week ago, he turned one on Monday. We went to MK a couple of days and epcot one day, staying at wilderness lodge, again with grandmother and aunt. The lodge had a real crib, rather than the pack and plays of the villas. Again, we spent some time in the pool (He REALLY loved the bubbles in the quiet pool). Spent some time at the living seas, rode the boat in Mexico, looked at the lights. That was about it for Epcot. He had a blast. Over two days in an uncrowded magic kingdom, rode the jungle cruise, tiki birds, pirates, haunted mansion, pooh, peter pan, people mover, buzz, and country bears and the teacups. All are great with a one year old. He had a blast. Wow, he really, really loved Ohana, he was clapping and kicking his feet and laughing and really enjoying the singing. He also had a lot of fun seeing Micky, Minnie, Donald, Pooh, Tigger, and Eyore. They were so sweet and gave him time to play with them and stuff like that.

Now stop here and think about this for a second. Over two days, with little crowd in the park, we went on 10 attractions. Most of those are "secondary" attractions or fast loaders. Four were with a fast pass, the others were walk ons. Now, will you have fun going to magic kingdom with your baby and doing those things? We had a blast, the baby had a blast. In one very uncrowded day at epcot, we ate, rode on the Mexico boat, went to living seas. Would that be a fun day at epcot for you? (It was a blast for us). Throw in some pool time and some characters and you have a heck of a day (I would arrange character meals or things where you don't have to wait in line). Now this was with a one-year-old, we did less with a three-month old of course. What I'm trying to say is, if you view the time as fun time with your baby you will have all the fun in the world. If you are planning to spend most of your time riding splash mountain and tower of terror, or rushing to keep on some schedule or something, then I'd skip bringing the baby.

That said, Holden is a comfortable, secure, happy kid. I think that goes in to the mix and if he was fussier it might not be as fun.

I think dvc makes a difference in that you have more room and comfort. I think having family around makes a difference. For us it is basically just a family visiting trip. Poor Holden will probably grow up thinking his grandmother lives in walt disney world.

I think it would be a mistake to bring a baby if the adults are concerned about seeing anything in particular or have their own wishes about what they want to see for themselves. I don't think in three trips Melissa and I have ever "Baby swapped," where we stood in line with the baby and at the end took turns riding. But there have certainly been times when Holden was with grandma or something and we rode a couple of big rides. I remember one morning we went to MGM and rode the big 2 and the rest of the family met us a couple of hours later for lunch. But my point is, if the trip is really for older kids or the adults, then the baby isn't going to have as much fun, I don't think. But if you think of it as fun time with your family and just sort of taking the baby to the park for a few hours I think it is a lot of fun and the kids get a lot out of it. I mean it isn't really different from going to the park at home or to the mall or something or visiting grandma if you don't make a big deal out of it. Heck, I think with winter coats here in Michigan it is probably more difficult to get to the mall from home than to magic kingdom from the wilderness lodge.

I honestly think that there are a lot of stimulating things going on that helps their development. But that is being baby-centered in the approach. We just go for fun. Will he remember anything in particular? No, but he had a great time during the moment, and he'll see pictures/video and remember those. And we are kind of "disney people," in that we know we'll go again, we have dvc points, we'll bring him again, might as well get him going now. It is just what our family does. When he is four he can look back at those pictures and videos before he goes down there.

But again, we aren't concerned about agendas or seeing anything or "getting our money's worth," and those are very legitimate concerns, so if you have those things in mind, I probably wouldn't go with a baby.

This is all just my opinion and your milage may vary.

I took my son at 7 months and we had a wonderful trip. It was also my DH's first trip ever. We went in early May, the weather was a bit hot but not too bad. My son loved the rides and characters and we did everything at a relatively leisurely pace. He napped on the resort buses and in his stroller and we used the Baby Care Centers to change him. We were able to take our strollers into every restaurant we went to and he sat there and had a bottle or cheerios. I would do it over again it was so nice.

I think a trip with a baby would be nice as long as you avoided the really hot times of the year and the more crowded times.

We are going in a month and this same little boy is now 3 1/2. He has stated quite emphatically that he wants to go to the Animal Kingdom every day. I think this trip will be a bit more challenging, especially since we are in the midst of potty training. I think in a perfect world, I would take a kid under 2 (they're free!) and then wait until they're 5.

Sometimes the youngest are the easiest! We didnt' take Paul to Disney World until his first birthday, but we took him many other places and on lots of other vacations before that time. Honestly, traveling with him when he was 6 months and under was SO easy! He was brestfed and I had no problems nursing anywhere, so that made it easy. No formula or bottles, no babyfood jars, etc. He didn't need a lot of toys and books at that age, so we didn't have as much stuff to drag with us. He never complained about where we were or what we were doing. He was just happy to be carried or ride in his sling or stroller and take it all in. Absolutely no problem at all!

Now that he's getting older and more independant, it's a little more difficult - but he is still a pretty easy traveler and we've had 2 amazing 10 night trips to Disney World with him so far. (After these two trips, I can now honestly say that I think I have nursed on every single bench, ride, bus, boat, and monorail at WDW - and nobody has even given me a second glance.) Paul's also been on beach vacations, cruises, hiking trips, to Williamsburg, etc. - and we have all had a great time! A lot of it depends on the personality of the little one. We're just lucky to have a pretty happy, flexible baby. We can't wait to take him back for his second birthday!

We still talk fondly, though, about how easy it was to travel with him when he was a little baby . . .

We took our boys just before they turned 3. We are going back this year, just before our dd turns 3. We like this age for a visit - they are still free, yet old enough to really be into it, and maybe even remember some of it.

We're bringing DS for the first time in December. He'll be 2 1/2. We were going to bring him in May when he would be 23 months, but things got pushed back. I think it really depends on the child and the parents. We know that when we go with DS, we'll be on his terms. We are planning everything like we normally do and change things as needed based on how DS reacts to things. They change so much when they are young, it's hard to guess how DS will be in December!

GEM said:
We still talk fondly, though, about how easy it was to travel with him when he was a little baby . . .

So true. After last year (she was a few months shy of 3) we learned the hard way, she can now ask to go back, and has every day since then. ( I mean every day.) Her friend actually cried beacuse he wanted to go to WDW right then and couldn't. My daughter never have cried beacuase of missing WDW, but talks fondly of it daily. She is also rather well behaved. I don't think we would go as often if she wasn't. I will say, that every trip she has gotten more and more out of it and more fun then the next as she grows.

Really looking forward to this next trip. Can't wait to have big sister introduce little sis to WDW! She is so excited (and so are we.)

I can't wait to see my count down clock!

My DD's 1st trip was just before she turned three. It was awesome! She was still free for admission and buffets. She loved the characters and remembers alot from that trip ( she is now 8). She was able to communicate what she wanted to do and not do and could converse with the Princesses ( her favs!)It was the perfect motivator for potty training too. She didn't want to use the potty. I told her Mickey didn't let kids who wet their pants to ride the rides. She was potty trained in a week! She was only potty trained for 3 weeks before we went, but no accidents. She didn't want to get Mickey upset! It was my personal preference to wait until my daughter could talk and remember the trip. I personally didn't want to take her in the heat nor deal with an infant at WDW, but then I like to do as much as possible while I am there! My DD now has my same attitude! :wave:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter