• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What's the youngest age you would bring a baby and still have an enjoyable trip?

laurajetter

Mouseketeer<br><Font color="red">The Tag Fairy thi
DH and I are expecting our first child in August. We haven't really talked about when we will go back to WDW, but I got to thinking, what is the earliest age you would bring a baby there? Obviously, I wouldn't want to bring a real little baby, but I have seen infants there and I just wanted some feedback from those who have brought babies. What was your experience bringing a baby, and what age would you recommend we wait until for us to go back?

-Laura

You'll get lots of varying opinions on this subject. I think it all depends on each family's situation. We waited til our first child was 2 1/2 years old mostly because we were too scared to bring her on a long trip at a younger age-- parenting was a bit overwhelming at first. Now with child #2 at 13 months old, we're going again in a month but that's mostly for our 4 year old DD than the 1yo. I guess if you're a Disney fanatic and can't live without, you'll survive and have a great time no matter what the age.

There was a great thread I found a while back on tips for travelling with an infant. I'll look for it.

We had our little guy there when he was a year and he had a blast....he rode rides, loved the characters and sights, loved the dancing water and all the playgrounds. It was wonderful! The trip was probably more about us than him but he had a great time. We had to pace ourselves differently but it was definately worth the trip. I don't think he remebers any of it but he loves to look at pictures of all of our trips and can't wait to go see Mickey again! I would say to go when you feel comfortable because everyone is different. I think you can have a good time as soon as you are ready! Congrats. on baby!

We took my first DD when she was about 18 months but my son went in utero (LOL) & at 5 months. We definitely do things differently now than we did when they were bitty. Back then the pace was much slower, we always got up early & left the parks by 11 or so for naps, swim, baths etc. We let the kids dictate the pace. If they were tired or cranky we left. You have to go with your baby's flow. You will know what your baby can & cannot tolerate. use that as a guide for when to go back.

Hopw that helps.

Elise

We took Alyssa at six months and had a great trip overall.

We "splurged" on the WL, because we figured we would spend more time at the resort and we wanted a relaxing atmosphere.

Alyssa responded very well to the characters, and we took her on a few rides without height restrictions (Dumbo, Winnie the Pooh, etc.)

She often fell asleep in her stroller and we had a nice cover to keep out the sunlight and/or noise so she could sleep.

She wasn't sitting up well yet, so a high chair was out of the question, and all of the restaurants were very accomodating about letting us bring in her stroller.

A Mickey mylar balloon was one of our best purchases...and it stayed inflated all week.

We flew at night, so I nursed her at takeoff and she fell asleep soon after. We bought a seat for her so she could sleep comfortably in her car seat.

We had so much fun, we're planning a trip to DL in May to celebrate the 50th anniversary!

I think the age should depend on the temperament of the child. I took my oldest at 9 months old. It was do-able, yet a little stressful because of his high-strung personality. He wasn't a the nap-on-the-go type child, and we were still feeding a picky eater with baby food and formula bottles. We took my youngest when he was 15 months and it was so much more enjoyable. We still had the diapers, but he could eat park restaurant food. In addition his temperament made it easy for him to just sleep as we went. Neither of them ever complained about the entertainment at WDW. :earboy2: Hope this insight helps.

Anything under a year requires a little more effort on your part. The formula and food can present a problem but nothing that cannot be handled. All parks have baby stations to rest, change diapers, and feed. after a year most children are eating table food and drinking water and milk, all of which is available in the parks. They are usually more aware of their surroundings by this age so they are more able to enjoy themselves.

Our DD Katy went at -4 months, 8 months, 12.5 months, and 20 months. We are going again in three weeks and she will be 28 months. Her sister will be -4 months this time. We have always had an enjoyable time. Just know that the child will require time and attention just he/she would at home.

Just go and have a Disney Time!!!

PS One downer is the fact that you and your husband will no longer be able to ride the big rides together. Somebody has to stay behind and watch the little tot.

We took our younger daughter there for the first time when she was 6 months old (and her sister was about 6 years old). With the wonderful baby care centers at the parks, there were no issues there - whenever we had to feed or change the baby, wife or I would just head there to do it. She would just sleep in her stroller when she got tired. She doesn't remember anything from the trip, but it was not a big crimp in our park touring or other plans.

Our oldest was just about 8 weeks when we took her to WDW for the first time and it was one of the most enjoyable trips we've taken. Now that she's 8 years old she's a little harder to please. :( Go and have a great trip! Just remember to keep everybody hydrated and cool.

Congratulations!!!

I think it really depends on you. I started taking my child to Busch Gardens is Va when she was about 1 1/2... of course, there weren't as many attractions and things geared to kids there, but she had a great time. Don't think she remembered much, but we did.

I think that as long as the baby is old enough to be able to wear sunblock to protect his/her delicate skin (usually about 6 months old) it would be no problem. If you are thinking about sooner, just limit time in the sun and use blankets to shelter him/her.

There are wonderful baby stations that are equipt for feeding, nursing, pumping, and just to take a breather, and if you forget something, they will have it for you. However, if you go to Downtown Disney, they do not have a baby care station, so make sure to bring supplies and be willing to use the regular restrooms for changing.

They may not remember it, but you will have the pictures and memories for a lifetime. Also, they will get in free until they are 3!!!! :earboy2:

We took Kennedy when she was 6 months old. She was great. Slept on the plane to and from. She loved the characters and laughed and giggled when they were near. She napped in her stroller and had a great time. We bought a vinyl extender for her stroller and it kept her in the shade all day long. We sent (shipped down) a box to the hotel of bottle liners, powdered formula, Dawn dishwash cloths, diapers, wipes etc. This saved us from lugging all those things around the airport. The baby changing stations are GREAT!!! Remember if you are using formula to mix it with bottled water as the Florida water I was told has quite a bit of sulfer in it....so I was told. We are taking Kennedy back at 2 and I am thinking this will be a lot tougher ....plane etc. the one problem we did have was that she did break out from the sunscreen we applied but we just discontinued using it and kept her covered and in the shade. Good Luck!!!!

I don't know -we are contemplating taking going this year
2 dds 9 & 18mos, probably will be 10 & 2 by the time we go.
I think 2 might be a hard age for us. She will know enought to be frightened of the characters and she's a runner. She may be hard to contain.
I would like to enjoy at least some of the trip for all that money.

Bring your baby at the youngest age (months) that you feel comfortable with her in crowds, AND bring your mother to babysit! I'm a Grandma , and that's what my DD did, and I got hooked on WDW trips! Now I enjoy trips with the older kids, trips with DH alone too! Actually, I found the best age for an "infant" is after they can sit up, and BEFORE they can walk well on their own. The first trip with my DGD was when she was just 7 months. We took our own very comfortable reclining stroller and she stayed in it, just looking around and ooohing at everything, yet never running off. Perfect for me!

IMO (and DH agrees), babies are easier when they are not mobile yet, especially if you are nursing. No food to carry and prepare, no worries about them toddling away, no screaming over being scared.

When they are really small (under 10 months, and pref. under 6 mos.) they are content to be held or lie in the stroller all the time, and they are not yet aware of what fear of the dark means. They sleep whenever and whereever without issue, and they usually don't make many demands for anything other than milk and a dry diaper; maybe a favorite binky.

It gets much harder once they go mobile on their own, and once they hit about 4 they can really begin to have issues with fear, which will often last well into grade school.

Our older kids were "older" when they went....like 5 and 8 I think. But when Kevin came along the WDW had already bitten the rest of us so off he went for his first visit at 11 months. It was great! DH carried him in a pouch thing on his chest everywhere (he was never a stroller baby). Kevin could nap when he wanted and look around and see everything when he wanted. Bottles were a bit of a hassle. Kevin was never a big napper, so that was no problem, either. He just went with the flow. Great trip!
(Actual results may vary....please consult your own child!)
:wave:

We took my daughter at 12 weeks, 15 weeks, 6 months (DL), 9 months, and we're headed back in April when she'll be 13 months. Each trip was great and she enjoyed being with mommy, so therefore she enjoyed the trips. At 12 weeks we were with lots of family and friends and they all commented on what a good baby Madison was as she never cried, which was true, she didn't cry once the entire trip. Now, I'm not saying she cried lots at home, she didn't, but she was incredibly happy in WDW, I think because she was held all day long (also not a stroller baby at all, so she was worn in a Baby Bjorn all day). She went on every ride without a height restriction (though she slept through most) and saw the parades (she loved Spectromagic!). At 6 months though was when she really started to have fun. She was sitting up and starting to crawl, but not enough that she fought us to get on the ground yet. She loved the characters at that age and started to like the rides. At 9 months, though, she had a better understanding of things, so she had an even better time. She loved the parades (especially when the characters would come over to play with her), 'kiddie rides', and most of all the characters. Even though she is reluctant to let her daddy hold her, she stretched her arms out for ever character and was sad when I took her back! She is breastfed so I didn't have to worry about formula and bottles, which was great, but this last trip she was eating baby food so I had to carry that around, but it was only 2 jars a day so it wasn't so bad. Ad it was all worth it to see her face on the rides and meeting a character. The April trip is probably going to be the hardest as she'll want to get down and walk around!

ncbyrne said:
Bring your baby at the youngest age (months) that you feel comfortable with her in crowds, AND bring your mother to babysit! I'm a Grandma , and that's what my DD did, and I got hooked on WDW trips! Now I enjoy trips with the older kids, trips with DH alone too! Actually, I found the best age for an "infant" is after they can sit up, and BEFORE they can walk well on their own. The first trip with my DGD was when she was just 7 months. We took our own very comfortable reclining stroller and she stayed in it, just looking around and ooohing at everything, yet never running off. Perfect for me!
I agree with this very much! My mom joins us now as well and we have turned her into a big Disney fan now too. Even though I have taken my kids as early as 10 months and now I will take my DS 15 months in April, I have had no problems. They love it. My DD went at 14 months and her voabulary grew on that trip because there was so much to see and do. Now at 6, she would live at Disney if given the opportunity. Taking them young really made them feel the magic at an early age and now this is where they all want to be for all of our vacations. In a perfect scenerio though, I do think it would be easiest before they are walking and after they are sitting up, although my babies were always so interested on seeing everything, they were content to just take it all in and spend a lot of time in a stroller. HTH! Kim

I think whatever age you comfortable managing a child away from home. We are going this spring with our youngest who will be nine months. You have to set expectations that match the situation. You cant have the child out in the sun all day etc and all that parent stuff. However never forget that WDW is a resort geared toward families. We have used the Fairy Godmothers for babysitting while we were there and plan to do so again. Enjoy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter