What's the oldest restaurant you've dined at?

Kittyblue

7322, 32502, <3
I was reading this article listing the oldest restaurants in every state, and while I haven't eaten at any of these places, it got me thinking about the oldest place I've eaten at. I believe it was a Basque place in town called Noriega's that closed when covid hit, I think they said they had been in business almost 90 years. It was very unique, lunch and dinner were served at exact times and everyone ate the same thing. There was one long table everyone sat at and the meal was served family style, so you shared platters of food with the stranger sitting next to you. And of course, there was plenty of wine!

This an article about Noriega's closing, with a picture of what dining looked like:
https://www.bakersfield.com/news/no...cle_85945aae-8692-11ea-bcb6-038a37330393.html
This is the article about oldest restaurant in every state:
https://www.thedailymeal.com/travel/oldest-restaurant-every-state-gallery

Last edited:
Opened in 1919 we eat at Musso and Frank's Grill in Hollywood twice a month.

Since 2000 I have taken my Dad there for his birthday every year.
View attachment 561860

They closed one year ago (March 14, 2020) due to the government shutdown in Los Angeles.
Aw thats a bummer, I might have grabbed my bestie and made a road trip, Hollywood isn't very far.

We use to camp on the Appalachian trail right off south mountain inn in Maryland, but have never eaten there. Still kind of cool to see something familiar on the list.

According to that article, I have eaten at the oldest in Illinois, The Village Tavern (1847) in Long Grove. It was quite a few years ago, at least 20, probably more. Long Grove is an historic tourist town.

Not sure but probably somewhere is Spain. The last time I went to Spain I was 16 so I wasn’t paying attention to those things then. 😂

What's the oldest restaurant you've dined at?

Can't tell you specifically by name, but probably any of a number of restaurants we've dined at while in Europe. I can remember one that was a converted wine cellar, and many that were in old beer houses, and a few castles.

One I can think of off the top of my head is the Red Ox Inn in Heidelberg, Germany. It started in 1703. Absolutely great Hungarian Goulash Soup and black bread.

Last edited:
Club Pheasant in West Sacramento. Been in business 91 years I've been going there 60 years, since I was 3

I have had some remarkable meals at Antoine’s in New Orleans, both breakfast and dinner. It is the oldest restaurant in New Orleans, circa 1840. Last time we went was August 2019 during restaurant week when they participated in Coolinary New Orleans. It was an amazing meal, reasonable and the drinks were also good.

Last edited:
Stroud's in Kansas City, established in 1933. "80 years of choking chickens".

Now, this isn't technically a restaurant, but I did have food prepared and served to me at the Thomas Massey house in Pennsylvania. The house was built in 1696. My uncle did some genealogy work for the historical society and as a thank you, they prepared a meal in the traditional colonial way. He made sure we were there for a visit and got to go and enjoy the experience with him.

I remember one in London that dated from the 1700s. A favorite in Paris from 1845. I'm sure there were some older ones, but those two spring to mind first. I think there's a good chance some of the British pubs we dined in are even older.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter