• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What's Everybody Reading this Fall/Winter Season?

Done with Killing Kennedy. Learned some interesting things reading that book. Now what to read? Hmmmm......what am I in the mood for?

When I was in Savannah they kept talking about the filming of Midnight in The Garden of Good and Evil. Has anyone read that?

Done with Killing Kennedy. Learned some interesting things reading that book. Now what to read? Hmmmm......what am I in the mood for?

When I was in Savannah they kept talking about the filming of Midnight in The Garden of Good and Evil. Has anyone read that?

I've read it and can highly recommend it. It's non-fiction but reads like a novel.

It's been a while, but I enjoyed it. Very unusual book!

Couldn't find Christmas Cookie Club in my bookshelves but started reading Anne Rice's Christ the Lord. It isn't bad and is pretty interesting in some parts. I did buy Jean Sheppard's A Christmas Story on Kindle so that may be worth a read or two.

I finally finished THE CASUAL VACANCY by JK Rowlings.
I bought it when if first came out (hardcover) because I didn't want to wait. YES, I'm still a book in the hand person.

It took me a long time to finish, not because of disintererst, just life.

It's nothing like her HP series and if you never read HP and read the CV first you might get a completely different view of her as an author.

A bit raunchy( for lack of a better term) but, I did think it was good.
Complicated characters which JK intertwined very well.

Just finished The Skin Map by Stephen Lawhead. Was ok, I have the next 2 in the series also but decided to read Becoming a Sister Wife by the Brown family first. Interesting, lol.

Quick update:

Finished Harry Potter & the Prisoner of Azkaban - it was okay. I'm interested enough to continue with the series, but certainly not one right after the other - maybe one every few months or so.

Our Husband - wanted something light & fluffy to read. Wasn't really my cup of tea, but I did read through the entire thing in 2 nights.

Mr. Penumbra & the 24-Hour Bookstore - just started this one. LOVING it! Just like there's a certain chemistry between 2 people meeting for the first time, I believe there's chemistry between an author and the reader. Instant chemistry with this one! Love his writing style! Can't wait to see where this book goes - I'm so intrigued!

After that, I'll be back to The Fiery Cross (Outlander #5) to finish out the last 400 pages. I needed to take a hiatus from it since it is not an easy read and it's LOOONG.

For those with Kindles, Nooks, and other eReaders, some wonderful old books are now coming out in digital format. The digital evolution has turned reading into a foray into Aladdin's Cave of Wonders from the number of new and old treasures that can be found.

Historical Romance: The Grande Dame of them all, GRAUSTARK, which is from the turn of the last century and ranked with PRISONER OF ZENDA and the SCARLETT PIMPERNEL. Graustark became an adjective during the 1920s for any romance with the improbable elements of Princess, Commoner, and some mythical kingdom in the middle of the Balkans.

Historical Fiction: Elswyth Thane's WILLIAMSBURG novels (seven books in a family saga that follow a Virginia family from the Colonial era to England in WWII) are slowly making their way into the eBook realm (don't be misled by the covers on the eBooks, they are atrocious and do not reflect the very real charm of these books).

Also, contemporary (at least to their times 1920s - 1950s) novelists like Nevil Shute and James Hilton are in eBook format and, if you've never had the pleasure of reading their books, I strongly recommend that you treat yourself.

I just finished reading the HORATIO HORNBLOWER series (something my father loved and I never got around to reading it) and enjoyed it immensely. If you are interested in Historical Fiction (Napoleonic era/British Navy), this is great read.

I'm reading "Sunrise Point" by Robyn Carr. I haven't happened to read Robyn Carr in a couple years and I'd forgotten how much I enjoy her books. Love it!

Yes, I read "Midnight in the Garden..." years ago and I enjoyed it. It is a very well-written and interesting true-crime novel. It is an account of a murder that took place in Savannah, and it goes into depth about the local culture and society.

Have you read any of Phillipa Gregory's books? She is a great Historical Fiction writer

Just Other Boleyn Girl; I liked it a lot but I haven't tried anything else by her. I started trying Jean Plaidy but I didn't really like her writing style as much as I liked Gregory's. Do you have any recommendations?

I have 35 minutes left in my audiobook, Life of Pi. I'm enjoying it so much! The performance of the narrator is fantastic. I feel like Pi is personally telling me his story. One of my top audiobooks all time.

I just downloaded Killing Lincoln. It's next on the list.

It is my sad duty to tell you that my Kindle has broken. RIP little buddy BUT a replacement is arriving soon.

So, I WAS starting to read O'Little Town on the Kindle but now I am reading 'The Christmas Cookie Club' which is a great book.

it is my sad duty to tell you that my kindle has broken. Rip little buddy but a replacement is arriving soon.

So, i was starting to read o'little town on the kindle but now i am reading 'the christmas cookie club' which is a great book.

rip :(

I am currently reading "Northanger Abbey" by Jane Austen. I'm really liking this one! I love Jane Austen, but this one is gently poking fun of the novels of the day. Understated British humor... gotta love it!!!

I need to finish "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle", and "Team of Rivals" too.

I'm reading "Red Velvet Revenge" by Jenn McKinlay. One of the more enjoyable cozy mysteries I've read lately.

I've been on a reading spree lately!

I finished The Fiery Cross (thanks to whoever encouraged me to persevere by letting me know that it's the least favorite in the series - I thought it was just me). I'm looking forward to finishing up the series, but probably won't get to #6 until the early spring.

I also finished Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore- highly recommend for a fun, quick, and quirky book. The book cover even glows in the dark - check it out! lol

I just started The Fault in Our Stars last night - only a chapter in so it's hard to say. This is a young adult fiction which always makes me feel a little apprehensive, but yet I've enjoyed The Book Thief, Divergence, and Hunger Games, oh and the Potter books... all young adult.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter