What's Everybody Reading this Fall/Winter Season?

I am currently reading Stephen King's 11/22/63. It is the only Stephen King book (with the exception of Cujo) where I have been able to read past the first few pages. I am absoutely loving it :thumbsup2

I just finished Life of Pi yesterday. Hmmmmm.......

Now on to Sharp Objects this week (it's a library book due on 12/6) then I'm going to read Les Mis before the movie comes out.

I just finished Life of Pi yesterday. Hmmmmm.......

Now on to Sharp Objects this week (it's a library book due on 12/6) then I'm going to read Les Mis before the movie comes out.

OK, I HAVE to ask what the "hmmmmm" was all about. :)

I enjoyed Sharp Objects - it was a quick read at only 250 pages or so. Did you read Gone Girl? I just finished Dark Places last week as well - probably my least favorite of the three.

You'd better get cracking if you think you're going to read Les Mis before 12/26, lol! I just finished it last month.... think it was around 1500 pages? And it's a difficult read, but well worth it! I cannot wait to see the movie now!

Hi All. I'm new to this thread but wanted to share my favorite reads recently were: What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty and The Secret Life of Cee Cee Wilkes by Diane Chamberlain

I joined a book club this year and have been loving reading different kinds of books that I wouldn't normally select for myself.

Someone mentioned a 2013 book challenge...I would love to participate in something like that!

Would enjoy a 2013 book challenge as well! We can all set goals for ourselves and then keep a running list of the books we've read for the whole year...

OK, I HAVE to ask what the "hmmmmm" was all about. :)

I enjoyed Sharp Objects - it was a quick read at only 250 pages or so. Did you read Gone Girl? I just finished Dark Places last week as well - probably my least favorite of the three.

You'd better get cracking if you think you're going to read Les Mis before 12/26, lol! I just finished it last month.... think it was around 1500 pages? And it's a difficult read, but well worth it! I cannot wait to see the movie now!

I read Dark Places and Gone Girl. I enjoyed them both. The ending of Gone Girl has grown on me.

Pi - Spoiler in white Hmmm...because which is the real story, the animals or the people?

I won't see Les Mis before I finish reading it. I'm a fairly fast reader. I only started Life of Pi on Friday and finished it last night. I will probably will finish Shart Objects by this weekend and will start on Les Mis. If I seems too daunting once I get started I'll quit and just see the movie. lol

Things I've read recently:

The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss
Leviathan Wakes and Calibans War James Corey
World War Z by Max Brooks

All of the above were excellent, particularly the Corey Books. They're a blend of Sci-Fi, Horror and action with a good plot.

I'm currently reading Way of the Shadow by Brent Weeks. It's OK, nothing particularly great though.

Looking forward to next month when the final Wheel of Time book gets released. 20+ years later, we finally get to see how it ends.

I've read sooo many books over the last few years I forget sometimes some of my favorites. As I was reading thru the post again I remembered a book that I loved and Highly recommend.

The Woods by Harlan Coben

Also I love Ken Follett as an Author. I read the whole Pillar series and loved it.

Pi - Spoiler in white Hmmm

Ooooh, got your "hmmmm" now! ;)

When I read the book a few months back, the comment "and so it is with God" which immediately followed your spoiler is what has driven me bonkers. I have pondered that statement ad nauseum.

Went and saw the movie this past weekend and there it was again - same line. Has brought back all my former ponderings, lol.

I need to join a book discussion group just so I can discuss that one mind boggling comment!

I've read sooo many books over the last few years I forget sometimes some of my favorites. As I was reading thru the post again I remembered a book that I loved and Highly recommend.

Also I love Ken Follett as an Author. I read the whole Pillar series and loved it.

Looked up The Woods on Goodreads - looks interesting. Have added it! Thanks!

I either need to read faster or stop adding books. It's growing by leaps & bounds.

I love Harlan Coben and have read all of his books.

I read The Pillars of the Earth and World Without End by Ken Follet and I loved them. I plan to reread them at some point. I did not enjoy his newest series though. I started the first one and have never finished it. I haven't read any of his other books either but I'd like to try them.

I am in the middle of several books, right now.

Team of Rivals - LOVE IT!!! I can't wait to see "Lincoln" now!

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle - Also love! Need to get it finished!

The Christmas Candle - Written by Max Lucado. It's great for getting into the Christmas spirit!

I would love to be part of a 2013 book challenge!!! I'll keep checking back for more titles, and for details!!!

I started reading a travel memoir called "Travel, Sex, and Train Wrecks". It's a "low budget"(if there IS such thing when it comes to books) book about a woman traveling Asia by alone after a divorce.

It's definitely not a fine piece of literature and while there is SOME soul searching, you definitely aren't going to unlock the secrets of the universe while reading it.

I am enjoying reading her crazy stories and the people she meets and countries she visits though. It's pretty cheap if not free for the Kindle.

I forgot to mention a book that I finished last week that I got free for my Nook. It was a free Friday selection. "All Roads Lead to Austen." When I first started it, I thought it was going to be another "Austenland", but it was not! Thank heaven!!! I loved it!!! A literature professor took a year away from teaching to travel in South America and see if Austen's books translated well for the Latin American people. Her findings were really fun! I loved this book, as it was part literary, and part travel guide! Anyone who enjoys reading Austen's works would like this book!

I just read The Outpost by Jake Tapper who's a White House corespondent. It's a book about a troop in Afghanistan who was attacked in Oct. 2009 and 8 soldiers were killed. My nephew was one of the ones who was there (and is mentioned in the book quite often), thank God he survived. Not to get political, but the book explains why they should NEVER have been posted there, they served no purpose other than to be a target for the Taliban. Anyway, GREAT book, read it!

I also just started Far From The Tree, it's about raising children who are so different from yourself, also highly recommend it.

Ugh. When it rains, it pours!

I'm currently still reading The Fiery Cross (Outlander #5) but decided to take a break at page 900 and do a quick read before settling back in for the last 450 pages to finish.

So I started Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (#3) - have always wanted to read the Potter series.

Well..... my library contacted me yesterday. They are holding 3 books for me to pick up this week:

Our Husband (recommended here on the DIS)
Let's Pretend It Never Happened (another DIS recommendation)
The Fault in our Stars (not sure where I got this recommendation, lol)

I don't know what to read!! LOL! So overwhelmed! 5 books at one time will not go over too well, lol. :rotfl2:

Why do requested library books ALWAYS come in at same time??!

I've just started 'Speaks The Nightbird' by Robert McCammon (Swan Song). I'm about 100 pages in and so far I am loving it. He truly brings the time period to life (late 17th century) and I like the fact that even though it is a suspense/thriller novel, he tosses in a bit of humor now and then. Even though I've not really gotten into the meat of the story yet, this could very well turn out to be my favorite book of the year. In the running so far is 'The Forgotten Garden', 'Iron House' and 'Before I Go to Sleep'.

Just finished "Murder on the Brain", which I expected to be a cozy mystery but it was more a Stephanie Bond-style romantic comedy. So now I'm reading what really is a cozy mystery, "Dying for a Change". I haven't read much yet, but so far I like it.

I just finished reading "The Little Stranger" by Sarah Waters and I highly recommend it. It's a very well written gothic ghost story set in an English country house in 1949. It is a very unusual, atmospheric story with a clever twist in the conclusion. I keep thinking about it, so that says a lot!

If you decide to read it, be aware that the first 100 pages or so build the theme and develop the characters, so nothing really creepy happens for a while. However, that's fine, because the setting and plot are so intriguing - and there's a big creepy pay-off in the end!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter