What would you have done.....

Where do you live that restaurants are open for inside seating?

I’m guessing lots of states are open for inside dining. I’m from New Jersey and we are open. Delaware is 30 minutes away from me and they are open. We know your state is shutdown

Didn't bother me to much, but I did wonder if maybe I should have just kept my mouth shut.
Different people have different opinions. I get that. I don't mind different opinions. What I do mind is people implying that I did something wrong. I find as I get older, I have less patience with people who think they can do what they want, no matter how obnoxious, and others should suck it up. But I understand others are more able to let it roll off their backs. No one is wrong, but saying that I "not their parent" as a PP did, implies that I should have put up with it.

But you said you wondered if you should have kept quiet. Then you clap back at people who said that you should have. 🤷🏻‍♀️ Why did you ask if you don’t want to know?

FTR, I don’t think you did anything wrong. I just wouldn’t have said anything.

OP, you did nothing wrong. And I do think it bothered you because you are questioning if you should have kept quiet.

I myself wouldn’t give 2 figs what strangers have to say if they were called out on bad behavior.

I agree. I’m curious how the table even knew it came from the OP. The server should not have pointed out who complained.

I am too since she said that the server said other tables complained as well! How would the offending table know who complained if several tables complained! Weird!

Different people have different opinions. I get that. I don't mind different opinions. What I do mind is people implying that I did something wrong. I find as I get older, I have less patience with people who think they can do what they want, no matter how obnoxious, and others should suck it up. But I understand others are more able to let it roll off their backs. No one is wrong, but saying that I "not their parent" as a PP did, implies that I should have put up with it.
:scratchin Well, WWYD questions almost always elicit WYSOSHD answers (what you should or shouldn’t have done). That’s even more common now when practically every thread is a Covid debate of some kind where people really feel like their way of thinking are matters of life-or-death. It’s just the DIS - please don’t take it so hard. I’m very sorry about your brother and I wish you and your remaining brother well. :flower3:

Several years ago, I was sitting at that table. It was a business dinner and I was the only woman at the table. Women typically don't go into IT Infrastructure, so I'm used to being the rose among the thorns.

One of my coworkers had plenty to drink before we were seated. We were in Ruth's Chris. He was cussing up a storm and when we told him to keep his voice down, he didn't do it. I think he wanted to perform for the room. A man sitting behind another coworker, tapped his shoulder and asked if he could ask his friend to use language that wouldn't embarrass the man's wife.

When he heard that other tables wanted him to keep it down, he did. The rest of us were happy that the man spoke up.

Several years ago, I was sitting at that table. It was a business dinner and I was the only woman at the table. Women typically don't go into IT Infrastructure, so I'm used to being the rose among the thorns.

One of my coworkers had plenty to drink before we were seated. We were in Ruth's Chris. He was cussing up a storm and when we told him to keep his voice down, he didn't do it. I think he wanted to perform for the room. A man sitting behind another coworker, tapped his shoulder and asked if he could ask his friend to use language that wouldn't embarrass the man's wife.

When he heard that other tables wanted him to keep it down, he did. The rest of us were happy that the man spoke up.
I actually find this a tad funny. I curse myself, I admit it, I would find it really odd if my husband tapped on someone's shoulder and asked them not to use language that wouldn't embarrass me considering on average I curse more than my husband :laughing:.

I would have found it best to just be as non-descript as possible and IF I were to have stepped in to just politely ask to not curse. I know multiple guys who aren't really fond of cursing; none subscribe to the delicate ears are for women thing they just prefer not to hear it themselves ;)

I probably would have looked their direction a few times though that could have been giving them exactly what they want but I doubt I would have said something unless their discussion was getting more to the violent level. I really would assume that if this was a big enough disruption to the dining management would have noticed and discretely stepped in. If they didn't then I may avoid that place for a bit. I generally have a high tolerance though other than it annoys me like none other when people play videos with sound as if the entire place wants to hear but that normally isn't long enough for anyone to really complain to a waiter/waitress or management for that matter.

I side with you OP in wanting a more pleasant experience. I don't go cursing inside a public place with people around. These young adults sound like they were trying to show off and draw attention to themselves and it's really hard to avoid giving them the attention they want because it can be disruptive. This does remind me of a past thread..I think it was nurses maybe? And it was them describing in detail work related things. For you this outing meant more than just a run of the mill dinner :hug: so I can understand just being fed up and wanting to enjoy the evening :flower3:

I actually find this a tad funny. I curse myself, I admit it, I would find it really odd if my husband tapped on someone's shoulder and asked them not to use language that wouldn't embarrass me considering on average I curse more than my husband :laughing:.

I would have found it best to just be as non-descript as possible and IF I were to have stepped in to just politely ask to not curse. I know multiple guys who aren't really fond of cursing; none subscribe to the delicate ears are for women thing they just prefer not to hear it themselves ;)
I should have added, it was an elderly couple. That generation seems to care about cussing more than others. My coworker was being an obnoxious drunk, though. He needed to shut up.

Oh, and my favorite thing to call curses is "sentence enhancers". Sponge Bob had an episode and that's what Patrick called them. I've also been known to enhance a sentence or two in an average conversation.

With the decline of manners and civility in this country, we have taken to avoiding places where there might be loud, rude people. I have had similar dining experiences which make me angry and captive to boorish people. More reason to cook our own meals...better service and taste anyway!

I should have added, it was an elderly couple. That generation seems to care about cussing more than others. My coworker was being an obnoxious drunk, though. He needed to shut up.

Oh, and my favorite thing to call curses is "sentence enhancers". Sponge Bob had an episode and that's what Patrick called them. I've also been known to enhance a sentence or two in an average conversation.

One of my favorite Sponge Bob 'sentence enhancers' is when he says, "OH, BARNACLES!"

My other favorite non-Sponge Bob sentence enhancers are things like "son of a Batman!" or "son of a nutcracker!" or "Oh, bananas!"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter