What would you do, Poly or POFQ?

thumpersfriend

DIS Veteran
I would like to take my whole family to the POLY or POFQ. It is me and my DH ,3 adult children and l granddaughter who would be about 3 1/2. 2 kids are married and l single at this time. I figured I could pay for 3 rooms at the POLY and have the kids pay for their plane tickets, park tickets and their food. Or.... get 4 rooms at POFQ and pay for their plane, park and food myself. They want to go to WDW but I don't know if they would rather have everything paid for or be in a delux resort. I don't think they really care where they stay, but the POly would be nice. I don't want them to regret going and feel they spent too much on vacation. What do you all think? Especially you younger folks, what would you want your parents to do?

Wow, what a great offer either way! I really like both of those resorts. It's hard to say without knowing a little more about your kids situation. Would it be an issue for any of them to pay for their own airfare, admission, and food? If it would be for even one of your kids, then I would say go with POFQ. If not, then spring for the Polynesian. And what would the arrangement be for the 3 rooms at the Polynesian? In other words, who would have to "double up" as it were? Would that be an okay situation for the ones involved?
From the perspective of having a DGD who is 3 1/2, it would be wonderful to stay at the Polynesian to be that close to the MK! And have that fun monorail to ride!
Can you ask your kids what they would prefer? I imagine that they might split on their responses (some want Polynesian and to pay for the other things, some want the whole thing paid for) so you end up back where you started...but now since you asked them you have to choose between them? That makes it stickier than if you just decide and tell them how you are choosing to do the vacation.
Just my thoughts, but don't forget to think about what you would like most as well! :flower:

I'd go with everything paid for at the POFQ. That way they wouldn't have to worry if they could afford it.

I agree with the poster go with POFQ and not have them worry about the finances. Also the pool is great for a little one. Plus since they are sister resorts you can use the pools etc at POR. Have agreat time :flower:

Someone would have to double up if we went to the POLY but I think it might be okay. My granddaughter is autistic so I am not yet sure if the MK would be her favorite place. I know she will love the swimming pools either way. We have always stayed at the FW cabins and really liked them but my DD and I stayed at the Poly this last April and really liked it. The others have no idea how nice the POly is though. I know you all will have some wonderful suggestions. I think one of my kids would have a tough time paying his own way. (actually he is the tight wad of the family and always says he is broke, I have my doubts about this though,lol.) My main purpose is to take my granddaughter for her first trip, but I know the others would be hurt if they couldn't go too.

thumpersfriend said:
I would like to take my whole family to the POLY or POFQ. It is me and my DH ,3 adult children and l granddaughter who would be about 3 1/2. 2 kids are married and l single at this time. I figured I could pay for 3 rooms at the POLY and have the kids pay for their plane tickets, park tickets and their food. Or.... get 4 rooms at POFQ and pay for their plane, park and food myself. They want to go to WDW but I don't know if they would rather have everything paid for or be in a delux resort. I don't think they really care where they stay, but the POly would be nice. I don't want them to regret going and feel they spent too much on vacation. What do you all think? Especially you younger folks, what would you want your parents to do?

I LOVED The POFQ. That one is a no brainer. Sure a deluxe would be great, but if I could go with everything paid for, I would LOVE THAT!

That's great that you all have no qualms about POFQ. There are good things about that resort too, would be nice to take a boat to downtown Disney. Seemed like it took forever from the Poly. Anyone notice a different type atmosphere, like do the guests at one resort seem to have more fun?

I would love a free vacation to WDW. That just sounds so magical :wizard:

While my DH and I can "technically" afford airfare, park admission, and food, at this stage in our lives it seems like there is always another bill or expense around the corner! I think your adult children might become more stress-free and kid-like if they know there isn't a big bill waiting for them!

Whatever you choose, I know you will have a great time!

I think the POFQ looks great! That seems to be the way to go for your family since it may be harder for one to pay his/her own way to stay at a deluxe resort. However, as a parent of two young children I would definitely want a car if I stayed there. I'm not sure if you plan on having a car, or what time of year you will be staying there, but during the busy season it may take a while to wait for a bus. Adults may not have a problem waiting, but a 3 1/2 year old just might. Just something to take into consideration.

I think you are a wonderful grandparent/parent to want to pay for you children and grandchildren. What a truly generous and magical thing to do for them. :goodvibes May all the good you put out there come back double to you!

Enjoy your trip! :flower:

Thank you GelBoggio and mom22boys- Kind of the response I was hoping for. I remember how tight things were when our kids were little and I don't want any stress on any of them, because a trip to WDW would be something to cut out if bills were too much. I am not rich either but have started saving some since the day I found out I was going to be a grandma! Good points all of you. Thanks.

We did exactly what you are planning to do three years ago. We paid for 4 adult children, and 4 grandchildren and ourselves. We had booked POFQ and they underwent a refurbishment and we relocated to the Polynesian. If the buses for transportation won't be a problem for your autistic grandaughter, I'd say go with POFQ. Even with us paying for most everything, our kids spent lots of money on souvenirs for the children and we got into pin trading and lots spent on pins. So for your adult children's sake go with the moderate and help them out on expenses for everything else. It will truly be a magical trip for you as a grandparent. Just remember to give everyone some space and don't try to do everything together every minute. It is nice to have some down-time for each family.
Have a wonderful, magical trip.
:wave:
Disnemimi

I am not sure how my granddaughter will do with buses or anything else just yet. Being she is autistic, anything can happen. Were you upgraded to the Poly or did you have to pay alot extra? I hope we all can get in some alone time too. Probably our alone time will be taking care of our granddaughter so the others can go out and play, lol. It really is the vacation for my granddaughter and the others are coming along for the ride. So I have to make this the most enjoyable for her.

Here are a few tips to help you make an informed decision.

POFQ has 1,008 rooms.The Poly has 853 rooms so they are both small resorts.
POFQ has a dragon slide which is a little easier for a preschooler to use than the slide at the Poly.
Direct bus ride times times according to PassPorter.com

POFQ-------------------------Poly
MK----10min.-----------------10min(mono)5min(walk)
Epcot--10 min----------10min walk +10 min mono(total=20 min)
MGM----15min----------------15 min
AK------15 min.----------------15 min.
DTD--15 min(bus)20min(boat)----25 min.

My DH and I invited our 4 children, our son-in-law and our grandson (age 3) to Disney this Oct.We bought the airfare,tickets,resort rooms and we
kinda lucked out because the free dining came up right at the time we were booking our trip but we had planned on paying for meals for everyone since we knew we would be buying meals for our 2 college kids. It is just fair to pay for everyone.
The day our grandson was born I told my DD we would take them all to Disney when Alex was 3 or 4. So yes this trip is for our grandchild also.
It is wonderful you have invited your whole family also. Trips like this make wonderful memories.

Have lots of fun Disney wherever you choose to stay.
Linda ::MinnieMo

Thanks Minnine6l650! This is what I need to hear. It is sounding like POFQ would be best for us. I want my granddaughter to have a great time and I think she would love it there as much as the Poly. I know what you mean about having things equal for the kids, even as adults! I thought of taking just my son, his wife and my DGD alone but we are a close family and they wouldn't think of going without the others ( that is half their entertainment). Looks like the bus isn't much of a problem, we wouldn't go at the busiest times so hopefully it would be okay. Just curious, how did you choose Oct to go this year? Thanks

Hi thumperfriend,
I was actualy trying to decide between fall this year or May next year.
I have Sing-A-long videos with the Disney Characters in them(not the cartoon ones but WDW ones). We have Disneyland fun which takes place in Disneyland. We also have Beach Party that takes place at BB and TL and my granson"s favorite a Halloween one where the children go the Haunted Mansion for a party with Mickey and his friends and then they go Trick or treating in ToonTown.
That's why we chose October . We want to take Alex to MNSSHP so he can trick or treat in toonTown.
Have a wonderful time with your family at Disney!

It sounds like you've already had a lot of input, but I'm a 30 something going to POFQ in Oct with a one year old and a four year old. We took my older one there a year and a half ago (so he was 2 1/2) and LOVED POFQ. We could have afforded to go to a deluxe, but we really liked POFQ and the atmosphere was great. My son still says that his favorite "rides" at Disney were the monorail (no problem getting to them and riding them even though not staying on the line), the buses (can you believe it??) and the boat to Dowtown Disney. The resort was so clean, rooms were great (just recently updated) and I personally don't think Disney is the best place to spend lots of extra dollars on the room itself. Your family will feel so special being together and not having to spend any money on essentials will make trips to souvenir stores just so much fun. Have a great time!

Hart6066 Thank you for your input. I have a feeling my granddaughter will like the bright colors and the pool at POFQ,where she can probably go down the slide, plus the POR pool. I don't think she will care about the rooms so much and the cost is quite substantial when you are talking about $200 extra a night per room! Nobody yet has said that the monorail is so important for the little ones and that makes me feel better.

thumpersfriend said:
That sounds like so much fun for your grandson! Where did you get the videos? Have a great time in October.

Thanks!
I received the Disneyland Fun and Beach Party Videos for my birthday several years ago because my kids know how obsessed I am with
anything Mickey. After my Grandson was born I bought more from Ebay.
(I think Target and WalMart had them also.)From the time Alex was about 2 years when he would come to "Grandma's" we would watch those videos together.
I posted the names of the videos on a thread awhile ago.
Heres the post:

My 3 year grandson and I love the Disneyland Fun Sing-A-Long.
Other Sing-a-longs with the Real Disney characters (not cartoon) are:
The Twelve Days of Christmas--even has Uncle Scrooge and Huey Dewy and Louie

Campout at Walt Disney World--Includes Fort Wilderness and the original Discovery Island.

Beach Party--Takes place at TL BB and some beaches -- It has a luau at the poly with Minnie and the gang and even has a nice part with Ariel in it.
Also a part on the pirate ship. Alex loves it when Captain Hook and Peter pan have a deul and Captain hook falls over the side of the ship into the water!
Flik's Musical Adventure takes place at the Animal Kingdom. Flik is the ant in TTBB. Mickey and Minnie have some small parts in it but Flik is the host.

Alex's favorite one is Happy Haunting.
It is a halloween party at the HM in Disney complete with Trick or Treating in Toon Town.

He loves that one. We are taking him and his mom (dd )and dad (dsil)
to MNSSHP this October for his first Disney Trip.
I can hardly wait.
I hope others enjoy these Sing-A-Longs as much as we have.

Thanks Minnie61650! I wrote them all down.What a help you are. Guess I will have to find out more about the MNSSHP!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter