What would you do? AP rate or Free dining?

cseca

<font color=darkorchid>My legs are wimpy but my wi
Ugh!
I think Disney likes to give me a headache.
I made a ressie for AKL with free dining when it was first available.
Everything is hunky dory...

Well now with the AP rate out I'm really struggling whether I'm doing the right thing.

Free dining
Room + dining 2 people 3 nights + 2 1-day tix: $822

AP
Room: $435
I can't get dining I know, but if I do add dining for 2 people: $228 (3nights)
2 1-day tix: $120
Total: $783

So technically I really only will be saving : $39

AP rate Advantage: I wouldn't have to buy 2 1-day tix
AP rate Disadvantage: Wouldn't be able to get dining... sigh...

What would you do?

I need some opinions... I'm a huge foodie... DBF isn't.
So this is all my call... argh!
Thanks so much...

Since priced out dining would be $37.99 per person per night your saving more $$ by taking the free dining even with the 1 day passes ($228 savings when rounded). The one day passes are not wasted either since you can put them towards the purchase of a future AP. Besides you can't add the DDP with an AP rate at all.

THe real question is whether you will eat enough to make the dining worthwhile. You are not wasting the one day tickets--you can each use one of them when you renew your AP.

SO....room $435 + tix $120 = $555. Package with free dining $822. Will you spend $267 on food during your stay? If you will spend that much on food, the "free" DDP is the better deal. If not, the AP and buying food OOP is better.

That's not quite accurate due to the hotel taxes, but I'm not going to do all the math on that!

robinb said:
I'm confused. Why are you adding two one-day tickets to the AP rate?

Hi Robinb,
I'm trying to get an apples to apples comparison on the cost between "free" dining vs. AP.

Since free dining = room + DDP + 2 1-day tix, I feel that to make the same comparison with the AP rate I have to do room (with AP rate) + DDP + 2 1-day tix. That way I'm comparing the same amt of items between both rates.

sigh... I know kcashner is right... the thing is I can't tell whether we'll be eating $267 on food for those days... :confused3 ...

Thanks everyone for your responses. :grouphug:

Do you have any records from previous vacations? Check and see waht your daily average for food is--If you normally spend $100 per day on food you will save with the DDP, if you only spend $75 per day it wouldn't be worth it.

Actually you shouldn't include the cost of the 1 day tickets with your AP since you do not need to purchase them. Free dining is $38 PP saved the AP rate is $75 off it's almost exactly the same. What your saving is the cost of buying a 1 day ticket.

were you planning on purchasing tickets right now?
your difference is $387--can the two of you eat for four days for $387 or less? ($97 per day)

If you want to factor in the cost of the 1-day tix as money down on your next AP, then, can the two of you eat for $267 or less for four days? ($67 per day)

i think, in the long run, you'd come out ahead having the 1-day tix in hand for future use...

I think it all depends on how you usually eat. Will you eat enough counter service meals? Do you often go to the signature restaurants?

Once you have looked at that, you may get a clearer picture if the dining plan is for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter