What will DVC have to sell?

IIRC, the initial deal was reached before Eisner came on board. He tried to break the agreement but relented under the threat of a lawsuit. Disney did get some concessions from Tischman in the process.
Thanks for the additional information and clarification.

The two hotels are covered under a 99 year lease so they won't be going back to Disney anytime soon. And really I don't see why they would be interested. If anything, Disney is expanding this sort of outsourcing in recent years. Similar agreements exist for Shades of Green, the Downtown Disney area hotels, many DTD shops and restaurants and even some theme park restaurants. These deals can be pretty lucrative for Disney as they provide a steady revenue stream while avoiding many of the day-to-day operational headaches.
Agreed - it seems as if this has become their "model" (for lack of a better word) in recent history which seems to be working as they are reducing their "risk" while still provding "reward".

IIRC, the initial deal was reached before Eisner came on board. He tried to break the agreement but relented under the threat of a lawsuit. Disney did get some concessions from Tischman in the process.

The two hotels are covered under a 99 year lease so they won't be going back to Disney anytime soon. And really I don't see why they would be interested. If anything, Disney is expanding this sort of outsourcing in recent years. Similar agreements exist for Shades of Green, the Downtown Disney area hotels, many DTD shops and restaurants and even some theme park restaurants. These deals can be pretty lucrative for Disney as they provide a steady revenue stream while avoiding many of the day-to-day operational headaches.

And lets not forget about the "other" shopping/dining district being developed....not much being owned by Disney there either.

What is the other shopping/dining district? :confused3

It's called Flamingo Crossings. It's over on the western side of Disney's property. The plan seemed to be similar to the Crossroads area where Disney would own the land and lease it to hotel operators, restaurants and other everyday services. For all intents and purposes it would appear to be just another strip mall/development on the fringes of Disney property--but Disney would actually retain ownership of the property and earn a profit from it.

Disney announced the project about 18 months ago. It was supposed to be a good 3-5 years before anything began to come to fruition.

It's called Flamingo Crossings.

Interesting, don't recall ever hearing about this before. Would be very nice for DVCers in particular if there were a grocery store + free shuttle service there... Hey I can dream, right? :rotfl:

Great article! So what Disney resort would this proposed mall be closest too? AKV?

AKV & Coronado Springs. Western Way is the next exit north on SR429 (Toll) from US192. Western Way ends right next to Coronado Springs.

Interesting, don't recall ever hearing about this before. Would be very nice for DVCers in particular if there were a grocery store + free shuttle service there... Hey I can dream, right? :rotfl:

I think it's still a developing situation. If potential tenants demand access to Disney guests, anything is possible. But based upon what Disney has released thus far, I don't think they are trying to turn this into Downtown Disney 2. I think it's merely an attempt to leverage more of Disney's fringe property. The land is located outside of the "main gate" on that side of the resort. So even if Disney keeps the land and leases it to businesses (as opposed to selling outright), it will outwardly appear to be just another "offsite" shopping center.

BTW, I have to correct the timeline I posted previously. I went back and reviewed some of my info and Disney was actually projecting an 8-10 year development cycle. That was as of March 2008, so it could be quite some time before anything begins to materialize.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter