• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What was your worst DCL rookie mistake?

Having a bunch of loose papers, Navigators, plastic cups and generally anything weighing under 12oz on the desk with our Verandah door open when my wife came back to the room.

Holy Moses, the sheer vacuum power created across the room was insane! Everything flew at my wife and into the hallway. I thought it was hilarious, my wife not so much. Even the bathroom door flew open and scared her to death.

It was extra windy on our WC SWDAS cruise so YMMV on this phenomenon, but rookies consider yourselves warned :)

Well... You aren't supposed to leave the door open. Use it to go in and out. But it is supposed to remain closed otherwise.

On my Brilliance cruise this summer someone was screaming they were "stuck" in their stateroom. A stateroom where just walking by you could feel the suck and hear the wind. The security guy who reported said (yelled so the person could hear) "Sir, close your balcony door and I guarantee your cabin door will open." Guess what? It did!

Having a bunch of loose papers, Navigators, plastic cups and generally anything weighing under 12oz on the desk with our Verandah door open when my wife came back to the room.

Holy Moses, the sheer vacuum power created across the room was insane! Everything flew at my wife and into the hallway. I thought it was hilarious, my wife not so much. Even the bathroom door flew open and scared her to death.

It was extra windy on our WC SWDAS cruise so YMMV on this phenomenon, but rookies consider yourselves warned :)
We stay in a cabin near the forward stairs/elevators. In a case of perfect timing, my wife was coming in from the veranda, my daughter opened the cabin door and someone must have been coming in from the deck on the 4th floor because a huge gust of wind came through our room carrying the wonderful scent of fresh popped popcorn from the Buena Vista Theater's snack bar.

We stay in a cabin near the forward stairs/elevators. In a case of perfect timing, my wife was coming in from the veranda, my daughter opened the cabin door and someone must have been coming in from the deck on the 4th floor because a huge gust of wind came through our room carrying the wonderful scent of fresh popped popcorn from the Buena Vista Theater's snack bar.

Now that's a good wind gust LOL

Missing the boat! Beyond stupid rookie mistake. We flew out of Buffalo this past March Break. We were on the first flight out to Orlando, leaving at 8:30am. Of course, our flight was the same day that the cruise ship was leaving. Due to a mechanical issue, the flight did not leave until after 3:00pm. Moreover, since it was March Break, every other flight going to Orlando was full. After the initial devastation, the airline got us to Tortolla (at no additional cost) where we met the boat after missing 2 days at sea. In the end everything worked out. We even went on our second cruise this past November. Although we flew in a day early this last time, none of us were settled until we were actually on the ship. Lol.

What a crazy circumstance, so sorry to have heard you missed the first 2 days at sea. Did you call Disney to let them know? What was the embarkation process at Tortola? Did you enjoy a few days there before the boat caught up?

What a crazy circumstance, so sorry to have heard you missed the first 2 days at sea. Did you call Disney to let them know? What was the embarkation process at Tortola? Did you enjoy a few days there before the boat caught up?
I had the same issue with a Mediterranean cruise! That was going to be my lesson - always fly in the day before! American Airlines cancelled our flight and we missed the first two days of our 7 night cruise. It was so sad and stressful!! It's worth the price of a hotel room the night before to not have the stress and sadness of missing some of your cruise due to a mechanical failure on a plane!!!

I had the same issue with a Mediterranean cruise! That was going to be my lesson - always fly in the day before! American Airlines cancelled our flight and we missed the first two days of our 7 night cruise. It was so sad and stressful!! It's worth the price of a hotel room the night before to not have the stress and sadness of missing some of your cruise due to a mechanical failure on a plane!!!
That stinks for you too! So I'll ask you the same question then, I assume you contacted Disney, how was the embarkation process wherever you finally got on at?

The embarkation with Disney in Tortola was beyond simple. Disney knew our situation and where we were staying, so they sent their local agent to pick us up at our hotel. The agent drove us to the boat where a Disney cast member was waiting for us. The check in process was quick. The funniest thing on our trip was when we landed in Tortola. The custom agent said to my stressed out wife, "I cannot let you into my country until you do something very important for me. You must take 2 deep breaths, leave your worries back on the plane, and smile." Since we were not cleared in the U.S., customs in St. Thomas was very interesting. No guests were apparently allowed to leave the ship until we were cleared. As such, we met the St. Thomas agents in the Buena Vista theatre early in the morning. We did the customs clearance with the new Disney employees that were picked up in Tortola. The Disney rep (officer wearing a white uniform) read the new employees the riot act before the U.S. customs agents boarded the ship due to past poor behaviour. The issues were removing hoodies/headwear, giving attitude, and having their hands out of their pockets so that they were visible. It was kinda interesting.

Let's just say I spent the first few days wasting time getting my bearings...

Not sure if you've read about this yet, but just in case... There are a couple things that can help with directions.
1) The carpet in the hallways is laid so that the design is facing the forward end of the ship.
2) The the second digit of the stateroom numbers (3rd digit for deck 10+) help tell which side and which end of the ship you are located:
0 - port side, forward
1 - port side, aft
5 - starboard side, forward
6 - starboard side, aft
even numbers are ocean view, odd numbers are inside
Example: stateroom 9004 is an ocean view room on the port side at the forward end of the ship

I sum this up as worst mistakeS on first cruise 1. not planning nap times for the kids into the day, ages 2 and 5 at the time. We never made it to any nighttime activities, (i.e. fireworks and pirates) major REGRET most likely caused next cruise booking. 2. not booking on board for the next cruise 3. not sleeping the night before embarkation (let's face it, this never changes)

... Also, I am still full at midnight from my first seating meal - cannot imagine how I would feel if I ate at second seating.
I can't imagine I KNOW!! I just had late seating a few weeks ago and at midnight the lump around my middle was worse than ever. However the rocking of the ship helped me get to sleep. If this was a land hotel, I would have only gotten an hour of sleep a few minutes at a time.

It's Main Dining for us whenever possible.

Last edited:
My "rookie" mistake was not booking when there was a 'kids cruise free' sale because I could only get 2nd seating. I didn't know that often the can change that and even if they can't, Cabanas is open for dinner.

What?!! I didn't know there was a "kids Cruise free". That's amazing! When is this offered?

Not sure if you've read about this yet, but just in case... There are a couple things that can help with directions.
1) The carpet in the hallways is laid so that the design is facing the forward end of the ship.
2) The the second digit of the stateroom numbers (3rd digit for deck 10+) help tell which side and which end of the ship you are located:
0 - port side, forward
1 - port side, aft
5 - starboard side, forward
6 - starboard side, aft
even numbers are ocean view, odd numbers are inside
Example: stateroom 9004 is an ocean view room on the port side at the forward end of the ship
This awesome. Never noticed the carpet especially.

That is always my nightmare. It's amazing to me how many people spend thousands of dollars on their cruise, but then balk at the cost of $100-$200 for an extra hotel night before to be on the safe side.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter