• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What was the first DVD you ever bought?

Technically it was Cars. I rented it from Blockbuster and that store closed, so I got to keep the DVD. Does that count? LOL

I honestly don’t know. I can tell which DVDs are older, but can’t remember if I bought them or not. Most of my DVDs have been gifts, either birthday or Christmas. Probably some replacements for items I had on VHS tape, mostly Disney movies. It’s pretty rare for me to buy a DVD for myself, but I still get them as gifts, especially full sets of my favorite television shows. Just this year, I received the complete set of Ghost Whisperer, series four of The Crown, and Disney’s Soul for my birthday..

Didn't buy it, but won it at a work Christmas party, Gladiator.
Didn't even have a DVD player at the time.

Unforgiven back in 1997. I bought it even before I had a DVD player.

The first BluRay I ever got was the Sex and the City movie... I never really had a lot of BluRays though. It takes some serious thinking to try to remember what DVD I got first. I DO remember I got in on the promo where if you buy the DVD player you get 5 free DVDs. Racking my brain as much as I can, but I cannot remember what DVD I got first though.

Oh, wow.... I have no idea. I'm sure it was a Disney movie. 🤔 I'm pretty sure that Lilo and Stitch was the last one I got on VHS. 📼 But I don't know if my first DVD was Treasure Planet or an older movie that was re-released as "first time ever on DVD."

Now, my first VHS I'll never forget. The first full length movie I got on VHS was The Little Mermaid. I had two short VHS tapes of cartoons (Pound Puppies and Muppet Babies) and I was shocked when I got those. My dad's stance was that prerecorded videos were "a waste of money" and "only for rich people". If I wanted a movie on VHS I had to wait until it was on TV and my parents would tape it for me. My parents did pay for The Disney Channel so it wasn't like I didn't have any Disney movies. I was blown away when I got my VHS copy of The Little Mermaid for my 9th birthday. I still have it too. 😉

bought? no idea but i remember haggling with the guy at circuit city on the price and got it down to what i wanted to spend then hit the salesman up for 2 free dvds to seal the deal one of which was 'the abyss'. first vhs i remember buying vs. renting was michael keaton's 'batman'.

It was either The Wesding Singer, Finding Nemo, or Twister.

Since Twister was the first movie ever released on DVD, and it’s my favourite movie, I’ll go with that.

I’m not sure but I think it was either Love Actually or A Christmas Carol with George C Scott.

It was probably the 2 disc set of the 1995 Pride and Prejudice adaption, although that *may* have been a Christmas gift. Not sure.

No idea, will have to think about this. BIL gave us a DVD player on one of our early anniversaries, so I think we got it around 2001, 2002. I remember going to the Blockbuster, and the video area at the local grocery store, and there'd be like 1 or 2 DVD copies for each movie, and the DVDs were always available, while all the videos would be checked out. We could rent almost everything on DVDs, even the most popular. Was so cool.
I know we bought the DVD sets of Star wars as soon as we could, but not sure what the first DVD was.

No idea but I do remember the first one I saw. In 1999 I had just started dating my now husband who had recently just bought a DVD player and wanted to show it off. 😂 It was Sarah McLachlan live Mirrorball concert. Pretty sure we still have it somewhere. I didn’t have a DVD player until we moved in together so I can’t which one I bought as I got his.

Not positive, but possibly Miracle on 34th Street. Haven't bought a lot of DVDs. I have gotten them as gifts from my kids, and used to get media preview DVDs at work.

I can't remember the first dvd I bought but I remember the first one I got as a gift, Bring It On which technically was the first dvd I owned.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter