What was going on in your life 10 years ago in 2011?

Pretty much the same as now.....same house, retired (me anyway).
Addition of 2 grandkids

One kid out of college, one kid half way through. Working, and finalizing planning for retirement. Spending far less time tending to my kids needs and more to my own.

Well I just had a memory on FB that 10 years ago today I was asking people what to do when a braces wire breaks on a Saturday. DD20 started braces at 10 and still had a lot of baby teeth so the wire skipped several teeth and therefore didn't have a lot of support. I believe we got a dentist to clip it off and file the edge.

Ten years ago today my wife directed the children's Christmas play at church and we had our annual Advent Workshop, where kids and adults would work on Christmas crafts together.

Well, I was younger :rotfl2: and hadn't yet been faced with being told I have breast cancer.

More importantly though, my Mom was still here with me, she just passed away 3 months ago.

I was having major issues with my mental health. Our son was in a car accident in August of 2011 and he did not survive. I have no idea how the remainder of that year went. I look back now at that time and I have few memories. Almost nothing. I can't remember the friends and people that came to our home. My sister tells me there were so many people! I vaguely remember sitting at the funeral home. My mom and husband handled most of the plans. I do remember on the day of the funeral, I looked up and saw the line of people in the visiting room, going down the hallway (my mom said the line went out the front doors) and I was just tired - so, so tired. I remember a friend coming to visit in December and we didn't have a tree up. She and her husband came over with a decorated tree for our house. Our daughter (she was 5 at the time) absolutely loved it.
Months of therapy, a great group of friends, and a supportive family got me through. Grief is weird. It's always present. Some days it hits so strong it's like it just happened. Other days it's just a passing thought in the back of my mind. I can think about Nick and smile now. It's the thoughts of what he would be like today, family gatherings without him, the future we've lost, that make me sad.

I was having major issues with my mental health. Our son was in a car accident in August of 2011 and he did not survive. I have no idea how the remainder of that year went. I look back now at that time and I have few memories. Almost nothing. I can't remember the friends and people that came to our home. My sister tells me there were so many people! I vaguely remember sitting at the funeral home. My mom and husband handled most of the plans. I do remember on the day of the funeral, I looked up and saw the line of people in the visiting room, going down the hallway (my mom said the line went out the front doors) and I was just tired - so, so tired. I remember a friend coming to visit in December and we didn't have a tree up. She and her husband came over with a decorated tree for our house. Our daughter (she was 5 at the time) absolutely loved it.
Months of therapy, a great group of friends, and a supportive family got me through. Grief is weird. It's always present. Some days it hits so strong it's like it just happened. Other days it's just a passing thought in the back of my mind. I can think about Nick and smile now. It's the thoughts of what he would be like today, family gatherings without him, the future we've lost, that make me sad.
So sorry for your loss. Know you are in my thoughts.

I am so very for the loss of your son. Love sent to you and your family.

I celebrated my 2nd wedding anniversary and had a lot of heartbreak in trying to conceive our first child (we succeeded in 2012.) I decided to give umpiring softball a shot for some extra money, this year I had the plate for the World Championship game. And I turned 30.

I graduated with my Master's and started my career as a school speech pathologist in August 2011. So the first chunk of 2011 was spent finishing all the things for my degree, job searching, etc. The last third of the year was spent attempting to get my feet under me as a new educator. I also was dating the man that's now my husband.

2011 was a wild year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter