What tour would you do?

What is your favorite park and how much time do you want to devote to a tour? Longest tour and most backstage time that does not require park pass (or at least did not last time I did tour) is the Backstage Magic. Magic Kingdom would be Keys to Kingdom unless you want a shorter tour and Haunted Mansion is a favorite, then you would want Marceline Tour. Epcot Future World and Destinations are about the same time frame. Pick your favorite area. I preferred the Destinations. The Behind the Seeds tour is quick, informative, and does not require advanced reservation. Studios does not have a tour unless the Star Wars tour is still available. Last, but not least, Animal Kingdom. Hands down for me was Wild Africa Trek.

It all depends on what you want to get out of the tour, how much you want to spend, and how willing you are to go out of your way (Ex: animal kingdom lodge has a night time tour of its savannah for a little over $75 per person after taxes.)

I've done the Wild Africa Trek & Ultimate Day of Thrills Tour. I'm doing Up Close with Rhinos on my upcoming trip. A little more educational, short (only an hour), but offers the possibility of getting to touch a rhino (no guarantee as it's all dependent on different variables, particularly how the rhino is feeling). That's $40 dollars each.

The above poster gave a lot of great possibilities. Hope you find a tour right for you.

And I encourage you to check out the free tours/experiences offered at the resorts. I know Animal Kingdom Lodge offers a couple of restaurant tours and Wilderness Lodge has a guided tour about all its inspired decor.

Last edited:

I am a ‘Walt’ fan so I greatly enjoyed the Walt Disney - Marceline to Magic Kingdom tour. Very informative, and only takes a part of your day and it has a couple of cool surprises.

I also throw a vote behind Marceline to Magic Kingdom. I may be the only person who found Keys to the Kingdom too long. The behind the scenes stuff at Haunted Mansion with Marceline trumped accessing the utilidors with the Keys tour for me. I would also recommend the Taste of Magic Kingdom food tour. Inside some of the kitchens, behind Be Our Guest, and tasting foods at each stop. I really enjoyed it.

My DH and I are doing the KTTK tour in Feb because our son is 7 and not coming with us this trip so it's perfect timing for that tour. Plus I've always wanted to do it!!

I'm trying the Backstage Magic tour for the first time on my trip at the beginning of October. I will let you all know how it is for solo travelers.

Ross, Please provide a mini trip report after your tour. I am interested in the changes that have occurred. I have been on two tours, one in 2012 and the other in 2016. Both were very different tours based on changes to the parks and different guides. In 2012 the tour included Epcot backstage American Adventure look with more info and time spent in the backstage area, Utilidors at MK, Tower of Terror at Studios with actual ride vehicle present, Jammin Jungle Parade float building at AK, Cast Member Services, Central Shops, Garden Nursery (pictures allowed), and Creative Costumes. The 2016 tour also had the backstage American Adventure with an auto-animatronic figure being refurbished in the area, but no time spent backstage except for underneath the American Adventure area and more time spent onstage in the Rotunda pointing out it's features. AK was a conservation cast member giving a 10-15 minute presentation on conservation (pre-Rivers of Light). The Tower of Terror presentation was a lot shorter and there was no vehicle present as all were in service. Then there was Creative Costuming, Central Shops, Garden Nursery (No pictures allowed this time) and at MK the Utilidors with the tour finishing at a reserved spot for the 3pm parade by Guest Services.

Ross, Please provide a mini trip report after your tour. I am interested in the changes that have occurred. I have been on two tours, one in 2012 and the other in 2016. Both were very different tours based on changes to the parks and different guides. In 2012 the tour included Epcot backstage American Adventure look with more info and time spent in the backstage area, Utilidors at MK, Tower of Terror at Studios with actual ride vehicle present, Jammin Jungle Parade float building at AK, Cast Member Services, Central Shops, Garden Nursery (pictures allowed), and Creative Costumes. The 2016 tour also had the backstage American Adventure with an auto-animatronic figure being refurbished in the area, but no time spent backstage except for underneath the American Adventure area and more time spent onstage in the Rotunda pointing out it's features. AK was a conservation cast member giving a 10-15 minute presentation on conservation (pre-Rivers of Light). The Tower of Terror presentation was a lot shorter and there was no vehicle present as all were in service. Then there was Creative Costuming, Central Shops, Garden Nursery (No pictures allowed this time) and at MK the Utilidors with the tour finishing at a reserved spot for the 3pm parade by Guest Services.
I'd be happy to.

Wild Africa Trek. Just loved it! Fabulous lunch on the savanah, up close to everything and you get to use those cool rope bridges you see around the Safari ride. Well worth it. Had a group of 8.

Depends what you want to see or do as everyone above has also said :)
On my list is Keys to the Kingdom - if you want more histroy, backstage and seeing the utilidors.
And the Wild Africa Trek in AK - walking over some of Kilimanjaro safari and breakfast or lunch out in the savannah.

We loved Wild Africa Trek and will do it again someday. The up close experiences, the extended savannah tour and breakfast overlooking it all was just amazing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter