What to do on the boardwalk?

hannymom

Mouseketeer
We will be at Disney for one week in September. Traveling with a five, three, and a one year old. Looking for fun things to do on non park days. Is there anything that would interest them on the Boardwalk?
Thanks

Other than walking around and seeing the sights, not really. It is my favorite area in all of WDW, it's just gorgeous, but for little ones it might not bring a ton of activity.

There are some nice treats at the Boardwalk Deli.

Now, the pools at the Boardwalk are another story. :) I'm guessing they would love those.

Dan

Dolphin and Swan are right there - but not much to do there either. Fantasia Mini golf is in the parking lot there though;
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/recreation/fantasia-gardens-fairways-miniature-golf/
You can jump on the Skyliner and take a tour over to Riviera, Pop and AoA too. Each resort has daily activities and I don't think you have to be a guest at that resort to participate. Some of the pools are restricted though so probably best to stick to the (former) clown pool.

Not much for the 1 year old, but then that's pretty much true of the parks as well. Unless they are really closer to 2.

For the 3 and 5 year old:

• Pools.
  • Fantasia Gardens Mini Golf - 2 Courses. located next to the Swan Reserve 5-10 minute walk from the BWV
  • Performers on the Boardwalk at night. Magicians, tricks with hula hoops, etc.
  • They show a Disney movie most (all?) nights on the lawn, weather permitting. Also sometimes some other kid's activities, mostly later in the day because it is so hot. You'll have to check with the front desk for the schedule while you are there.
  • If you feel like pedaling them around you can rent a surrey bike.
  • You can always buy them an ice cream.

There was a photo booth where you could take pics and get them printed out. Don’t know if that’s operational still, we did it in 2018. Loved the silly faces we made.

We will be at Disney for one week in September. Traveling with a five, three, and a one year old. Looking for fun things to do on non park days. Is there anything that would interest them on the Boardwalk?
Thanks

Some of the responses you are getting sound like folks are thinking you are staying at Boardwalk resort. My understanding is that you are looking for things to do on the actual Boardwalk (since that's what you wrote.)

It's not some big, long, bustling hub of entertainment like you might be thinking. There's a few performers in the evening, and a few shops and restaurants. If I were not staying in an Epcot area resort, I wouldn't make a special trip there expecting hours of fun times. If you are gonna be at Hollywood or Epcot, it can be a nice "break," I guess? But, in the area, there is the mini golf, and the bikes, the Friendship boats, and treats, and a some decent restaurants. You'll have access to all of the restaurants at the Epcot resorts since they are all connected by walking paths - except that CBR on the outskirts. Hope thins helps. Also, if they are pool kids - In September? Non park day might be a mostly pool day for us - maybe a quick trip to Disney Springs for a meal and walkaround. It's gonna be HOT.

Some of the responses you are getting sound like folks are thinking you are staying at Boardwalk resort. My understanding is that you are looking for things to do on the actual Boardwalk (since that's what you wrote.)

It's not some big, long, bustling hub of entertainment like you might be thinking. There's a few performers in the evening, and a few shops and restaurants. If I were not staying in an Epcot area resort, I wouldn't make a special trip there expecting hours of fun times.

This.

There are some places to eat.

There is one big gift shop which the maps make look like it's 3 different shops (Screen Door General Store, Disney's Character Carnival, Thimbles & Threads).

There is a gallery, which your kids probably would not be interested in.

There are some carnival-type games, but I'm not sure of the hours that they are open.

There are entertainers (like magicians), but I'm not sure of their hours and they might not be of interest to your kids.

I don't think your kids would describe a trip to the BoardWalk as "fun."

Another option is take a boat ride to Fort Wilderness campground. It has a nice playground close to the dock. My kids loved the boat ride and the playground.
Do you mean go over to FW and then enjoy a boat ride?
I’m not aware of a boat from BW to FW.

There always are nighttime activities on the Village Green. Also, you can find various street performers along the Boardwalk, usually in front of Thimbles & Threads. You might enjoy walking over to International Gateway and taking a ride on the gondolas/Skyliner...

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond to my question. I guess I should have been more specific. We are staying in windsor hills renting a house. we will be there a week but are only doing the magic kingdom for 3 days. Just magic kingdom, no hoppers. Therefore , I was looking for anything that did not involve going to the parks.
Again, thanks to all. leaving in a month!!!

Not much for the 1 year old, but then that's pretty much true of the parks as well. Unless they are really closer to 2.

For the 3 and 5 year old:

• Pools.
  • Fantasia Gardens Mini Golf - 2 Courses. located next to the Swan Reserve 5-10 minute walk from the BWV
  • Performers on the Boardwalk at night. Magicians, tricks with hula hoops, etc.
  • They show a Disney movie most (all?) nights on the lawn, weather permitting. Also sometimes some other kid's activities, mostly later in the day because it is so hot. You'll have to check with the front desk for the schedule while you are there.
  • If you feel like pedaling them around you can rent a surrey bike.
  • You can always buy them an ice cream.
This answer

Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond to my question. I guess I should have been more specific. We are staying in windsor hills renting a house. we will be there a week but are only doing the magic kingdom for 3 days. Just magic kingdom, no hoppers. Therefore , I was looking for anything that did not involve going to the parks.
Gotcha, Yeah, I wouldn't really recommend scheduling a trip to the Boardwalk. There is still the mini-golf at nearby Fantasia Gardens if you think they would like that, but I would recommend Winter Summerland Mini Golf given your kids ages.

Disney Springs would be a better bet. Besides the shopping/dining, they have a tethered hot air balloon, splash areas, bowling, World of Disney, and more places to get sweets/treats. There's a Lego Store, T-Rex Cafe, Rainforest Cafe, and some other locations kids might not mind spending a little time in.

Can't think of much else on property that might be worth a trip. Disney isn't interested in giving families a lot of alternatives to the parks. But off-site I am sure you could find some things. The Orlando area has all of the typical types of attractions you would expect.

In addition to visiting Fort Wilderness, here are some free or less-expensive things we used to do when our kids were young:

Visit Animal Kingdom Lodge and view the animals.
Eat at the Art of Animation and walk around. Lots of fun photo opportunities.
Ride the monorail and resort boats. Now you have the Skyliner as well, which wasn't around when my kids were little.

The easiest way to do this I think is to just park at Disney Springs and take a resort bus to somewhere close to where you want to go.

Visiting the Boardwalk is another option, but I would say it ranked lower on my kids' list than some of the other things you can do.

Boardwalk wasn't that interesting for my 3 and 6 year old. MK area resorts, however...at Ft. Wilderness, we did a horsedrawn carriage ride, the kids did pony rides, toured the barn, played on the playground, took the boat to Magic Kingdom, boat from Magic Kingdom to the Poly, got Dole Whip floats in souvenir cups, watched the fireworks, watched the Electrical Light Water Pageant, rode the monorail, ate a character breakfast at Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary, took the boat from MK to Wilderness Lodge to see the geyser...I think I've stayed a total of 11 nights at Ft. Wilderness in the past 5 years, and only went to the parks on 2 of those days.

The kids enjoy Disney Springs too...the Lego store and the little train and carousel especially. There's the boat rides there, too, and Port Orleans has yummy beignets. Saratoga Springs is walking distance and rents surrey bikes (not sure if you have to be a resort guest or not for rental).

Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter