What to do on the boardwalk?

Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond to my question. I guess I should have been more specific. We are staying in windsor hills renting a house. we will be there a week but are only doing the magic kingdom for 3 days. Just magic kingdom, no hoppers. Therefore , I was looking for anything that did not involve going to the parks.
Again, thanks to all. leaving in a month!!!
I love all the resort activities and there's more than enough to fill several resort-only days! If you go to Boardwalk, your kids would probably enjoy hanging out at the Boardwalk Community Hall for games and crafts - resort Community Halls are open to everyone and you don't have to be a guest to enjoy them. But if I were planning some resort-only days, I'd definitely start with a day at Fort Wilderness/Wilderness Lodge (there's a bus that goes between the two resorts) and a day at Animal Kingdom Lodge. If you want to take a look at all the activities that happen at the resorts (there are a lot that aren't really publicized that might be new to you!), I have them all listed on my website here: https://www.magicalresortguide.com/. Hope that helps!

I love all the resort activities and there's more than enough to fill several resort-only days! If you go to Boardwalk, your kids would probably enjoy hanging out at the Boardwalk Community Hall for games and crafts - resort Community Halls are open to everyone and you don't have to be a guest to enjoy them. But if I were planning some resort-only days, I'd definitely start with a day at Fort Wilderness/Wilderness Lodge (there's a bus that goes between the two resorts) and a day at Animal Kingdom Lodge. If you want to take a look at all the activities that happen at the resorts (there are a lot that aren't really publicized that might be new to you!), I have them all listed on my website here: https://www.magicalresortguide.com/. Hope that helps!

Just to add to this - if you decide to spend time at Animal Kingdom Lodge, there is a Community Hall there, also. It's in the Kidani Village section. You can walk back and forth between Jambo House and Kidani Village. There's also a shuttle (van) that goes between the two. Pre-COVID, Animal Kindom Lodge had a lot of activities. They haven't all been brought back, but check the list.

Just a heads up they are limiting parking at resorts. You need to be guests of the resort or have adr. So just rolling up to AKL or Boardwalk you might get turned away. Probably easiest to park at Disney and use the Disney buses.

Just a heads up they are limiting parking at resorts. You need to be guests of the resort or have adr. So just rolling up to AKL or Boardwalk you might get turned away. Probably easiest to park at Disney and use the Disney buses.
You could also do a timeshare tour at RIV, kind of fun anyway, and then take the skyliner to BW, also fun.

They'll let you park for the timeshare pitch. You can plan it ahead of time. It doesn't take long, and you shouldn't buy it, so the decision is easy!

Last edited:

Windsor Hills has its own water park/pool complex, playgrounds, game room, etc. There's PLENTY to do there on a resort day, even with your little ones. When we're staying offsite near WDW with littles, we sometimes enjoy a non-park day on Disney property doing lots of things:

Park at Disney Springs, ride a boat from Marketplace dock up to POFQ for beignets, walk to POR's playground, and ride back. Before leaving DS, the littles like a ride on a tiny train loop and a small carousel (token$). When they're older, we'll probably switch to the tethered balloon.

Park at TTC (using an AP for free parking), ride the monorail to MK, boat to WL to explore the lodge and hunt for hidden Mickeys (get list of clues from front desk) or boat to FWC to visit the horse barn, take a pony ride, and play on one of the playgrounds.

Park at DHS (using an AP for free parking), ride the Skyliner (our grandkids' favorite) to Pop/AoA to have character or Mickey waffles, play on AoA's mini-playground, and ride back. If it's near lunchtime, we may visit Riviera's Primo Piatto for a meal, instead of Pop/AoA.

The WDW Resort Playgrounds webpage lists which of their resorts have playgrounds. Note that the Swan/Dolphin's playground is in a sandlot, not far from the Boardwalk. None of them are particularly large or exceptional but all offer a chance for the littles to play when adults want to explore a resort.

Last edited:
I wouldn't plan time at the Boardwalk unless I had another reason to be there. My kids did have a blast playing the carnival games, because we could guarantee a win by having them "compete" against each other. They also have surrey bikes to rent, but that would be hard with young kids. We were staying at the Swan though, so it was easy enough to wander through there without messing with naps or bedtime.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond to my question. I guess I should have been more specific. We are staying in windsor hills renting a house. we will be there a week but are only doing the magic kingdom for 3 days. Just magic kingdom, no hoppers. Therefore , I was looking for anything that did not involve going to the parks.
That makes it a bit harder because without an ADR they aren't letting folks in to many of the resorts parking lot. You could park at Disney Springs then take buses to various resorts.

Thoughts ~

Bus to AoA and walk all over the resort to take photos. Cars section is just like you are IN the movie, the Ariel section has giant cool icons, there is a great Boneyard shot in Lion King and the playground is unique in Nemo. From there you could take Skyliner to Boardwalk and check it out, walking around the whole lagoon past Y&B etc.

Bus to AKL, check out all the animals and explore the hotel. Quite the unique place you could spend a couple hours in even without eating.

Catch the boat at Disney Springs up to Port Orleans and rent a surrey to pedal around and along the river. You could then walk to French Quarter - have some beignets before returning on the boat. Both are beautiful resorts to pedal about and take a few pictures.

Plenty to have fun with at Disney Springs, train, watch the volcano at RFC, play at the Lego store, lots ot wander, explore, take photos etc.

is the Chip and Dale campfire back? We loved that. Probably not worth a special trip , but if you're already doing some of the great suggestions already given above...

Hello, you cant just park at the Boardwalk resorts unless you have a dining reservation. They turn you away. My vote would be make a reservation at Boma or Sanaa then enjoy the animals at Animal Kingdom Lodge! many places to view. Evening firepit with stories etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter