what time does port open

Yes, the port usually opens at 10:00 and check in starts around 10:30. The times could be delayed if the ship arrived back in port late, or if Immigration didn't clear the ship as early as they usually do.

If we get there at 10am (or earlier) where do they have you wait to get in?

Would I be able to take pics of the ship & the actual cruise terminal from where we wait or would we be a little bit of a distance away from the terminal & ship??

This time we will be driving in, so we want to get there early.

Thanks. :)

Just got off the boat on Saturday and wanted to tell you what we did.

Dh dropped me and one of our sons off and then drove back to the hotel to pick up the rest of the gang. It was right before 10 am and they were not taking luggage out of vehicle at that time but it wasn't a problem for us to get out and walk through the security gate and then through the scanners, up the escalator and into the port. When my son and I rode the escalator up and saw our first view of inside the port it was EMPTY. Literally one family in front of us in line. At that time the CMs were checking in only the few people that were doing B2B and once they finished with them they opened up the line for the new boarders. It was around 10:20 to 10:30 that we were able to check in. AND we had a number 2 boarding pass! :)

Overall, even though we were at the port really early I'd definitely do it the same way again. If you have questions please ask away!

If we get there at 10am (or earlier) where do they have you wait to get in?

Would I be able to take pics of the ship & the actual cruise terminal from where we wait or would we be a little bit of a distance away from the terminal & ship??

This time we will be driving in, so we want to get there early.

Thanks. :)

We went on a 7-night back in November and got there super early, and they had us wait in a parking lot directly across the street from the terminal. We drove out of the gate and directly into the check in area. They made us wait there until around 9:30 or 10:00 and then let us go across and check-in and drop off our luggage.

It was kinda neat - we got to watch them rehearse the Pirates deck party and got to talk to fellow cruisers (who we then saw SEVERAL times during our cruise). The one surprise was that even with getting there that early, we weren't one of the very first boarding groups - I guess folks that flew in and DVC guests got that honor!

Even so, we were on the ship before the rush started, got a table for lunch, and enjoyed the relatively empty ship!

We went on a 7-night back in November and got there super early, and they had us wait in a parking lot directly across the street from the terminal. We drove out of the gate and directly into the check in area. They made us wait there until around 9:30 or 10:00 and then let us go across and check-in and drop off our luggage.

It was kinda neat - we got to watch them rehearse the Pirates deck party and got to talk to fellow cruisers (who we then saw SEVERAL times during our cruise). The one surprise was that even with getting there that early, we weren't one of the very first boarding groups - I guess folks that flew in and DVC guests got that honor!

Even so, we were on the ship before the rush started, got a table for lunch, and enjoyed the relatively empty ship!

awesome. thanks for the info. :thumbsup2

Dh dropped me and one of our sons off and then drove back to the hotel to pick up the rest of the gang. It was right before 10 am and they were not taking luggage out of vehicle at that time but it wasn't a problem for us to get out and walk through the security gate and then through the scanners, up the escalator and into the port. When my son and I rode the escalator up and saw our first view of inside the port it was EMPTY. Literally one family in front of us in line. At that time the CMs were checking in only the few people that were doing B2B and once they finished with them they opened up the line for the new boarders. It was around 10:20 to 10:30 that we were able to check in. AND we had a number 2 boarding pass! :)

Overall, even though we were at the port really early I'd definitely do it the same way again. If you have questions please ask away!
OK, I'm going to ask away! :) You and your son were the only 2 that checked in, correct? Or was your husband with you at that time? I'm hoping to get to the port by 10, but DH and the kids are going to just drop me off and then go grab a late breakfast elsewhere. Will I be able to check all of us in, or does the whole group need to be present?

OK, I'm going to ask away! :) You and your son were the only 2 that checked in, correct? Or was your husband with you at that time? I'm hoping to get to the port by 10, but DH and the kids are going to just drop me off and then go grab a late breakfast elsewhere. Will I be able to check all of us in, or does the whole group need to be present?

Yep, just the two of us. I was able to check in the whole group. You must have their passports or IDs with you though. So this can be difficult if you have adults that need to get through security and they only have a driver's license. Because you need a picture ID for security and a picture ID for check-in.

In a nutshell, your dh will need a picture ID to get through the security gate and you'll need a picture ID (preferably a passport) to check him in.

I hope that makes sense! It's been a long few days recovering from vacation. I need a vacation already!:laughing:

We normally take the resort bus to the port, but this May we are driving so this thread has been very helpful. I have another question....With the resort bus, you get off the bus, go through security into the terminal, and your luggage that was collected at the resort is delivered to your stateroom. What is the process of checking luggage at the port when you drive? A reply above touches on that process but could you provide more details? Is there a checkin prior to entering the terminal security? Thanks!!

When you drive into the secure area, they collect your money, check your ID and then you drive up to the drop off area. Then you are told where to park your car.

DD's & I would get out, stand on the curb, let the porters handle the luggage and DH would park the car and RUN to meet us so we could enter the building with our carry ons in hand.

HTH

When you drive into the secure area, they collect your money, check your ID and then you drive up to the drop off area. Then you are told where to park your car.

DD's & I would get out, stand on the curb, let the porters handle the luggage and DH would park the car and RUN to meet us so we could enter the building with our carry ons in hand.

HTH

What do you mean collect your money? The only thing you would pay for is if you park at the port, not if you are just driving in to drop off luggage and then return a rental or park at one of the hotels. You pay for parking at the lot across the street when you are parking the car....at least that how it was all the past times I have cruised...most recently in October and then again in January.

MJ

I understood the OP's question to mean they were driving and would have to park their car.......so paying to park.

I understood the OP's question to mean they were driving and would have to park their car.......so paying to park.
Yes, you were right...we would be parking at the port. Thanks for the information!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter