What kind of fish is at Yorkshire County?

ChrisParker

DIS Veteran
I know it used to be traditional Cod or Halibut, one of those but I seem to remember someone saying they switched it to the tilapia from the Land? Does anyone have an answer?

Thanks! :thanks:

There was a long thread about this a while back. I thought someone said they'd switched to tilapia.
I know someone who asked a CM at Yorkshire about this...and the CM said it was tilapia. Not sure if they switched back to cod since then? Maybe someone who has been recently can tell us. :)

I know someone who asked a CM at Yorkshire about this...and the CM said it was tilapia. Not sure if they switched back to cod since then? Maybe someone who has been recently can tell us. :)

Go Raptors! First time in my life I have watched BBall. We are down the 401 in London and I think we could hear you all screaming from here! :)

I had emailed Disney about month ago and they did respond to me that they do use cod for both Rose and Crown, and The Yorkshire Fish Shoppe.

We ate at the Yorkshire Fish Shop during the third week in May. It was neither cod nor haddock. It tasted so bad that we threw our meals away...we never throw food away. We asked the cm there what the fish was and we were told it was Tilapia.
We stopped at the pub next door and were told that they and the Rose and Crown use cod.

FWIW: When we were in the R&C last Feb, I asked the CM serving us and was told that it was cod in the R&C and haddock in Yorkshire.

and Yay! Raptors rock!!!:cheer2:

I think the idea of emailing them is maybe the way to go for me too. How did you find the email address?

My niece & nephew ordered it last May and were very unhappy with its bland flavor. When I got home, there was a long thread about it here where the consensus seemed to be that they had switched from cod to cheaper tilapia.

LOL The conflicting stories and information. :crazy:

I feel like we will never know the truth on this. The last thread on this issue was hysterical. But also exhausting.

While I was one of the few defending tilapia and doing my best to counter alot of misinformation about it, I will say this, though, regardless of how tasty and safe, I personally, may feel moderate, once in a while consumption of tilapia is, I do think it is incredibly shady and deceptive of Disney or any restaurant institution to be selling something called 'Fish and Chips' and to be using a type of fish that has never been known or popularly used or been expected to be used as their selection of fish.

There are a few very obvious and expected fishes one expects classic and authentic 'Fish and Chips' to be. I mean, if you Wiki the history of it from the original UK, it mentions Cod is supposed to be the fish, and there have even been laws and regulations that say you can't call something 'Fish and Chips' without it being Cod. People DO expect Cod when fish and chips is served. If you are serving a different fish, you are supposed to clearly specify it to the public.

It is quite unreasonable of Disney to use a fish that simply doesn't ever get used in 'Fish and Chips' such as tilapia. Some other fish that can get used are Haddock and wiki mentions fish like basa, pollock and a few others. But the vendor should be CLEAR about the type of fish. Because again, people expect cod and especially from a place like Yorkshire which is trumpeting their historical affiliation with the origin of fish and chips.

People DO expect Cod when fish and chips is served. If you are serving a different fish, you are supposed to clearly specify it to the public.

This.

I travel to the UK for work pretty regularly, and my favorite chippy has three items on their menu – fish and chips, haddock and chips, pollock and chips. The fish and chips doesn’t say cod and chips, because everyone knows it’s cod. I never found the fish and chips at the Yorkshire fish shop all that wonderful. Seems similar to Long John Silver’s to me, and they primarily use pollock.

I’m from Yorkshire, 99% of people in Yorkshire wouldn’t have a clue what Talapia is, as it’s rarely available in the U.K. The real deal is always cod or haddock. In fact haddock is the preferred choice in Yorkshire. So if it’s Tilapia at Yorkshire County Fish and Chips, it’s far from authentic.

If you Americans are ever around our parts, for example visiting the medieval City of York or wonderful City of Leeds, have a trip over to Whitby- where Bram Stoker wrote and set Dracula, medieval gothic abbey on a cliff, Captain Cook set sail to discover the New World, and most importantly, the best fish and chips in the world. You have to come north to Yorkshire to get the best fish and chips in the U.K., like the best served beer, although there are good ones dotted around all over the UK. I assume Disney knew this, which is why they called it Yorkshire County fish shop, but if they are using tilapia (which I like) they are besmirching our name.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!