• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

What is your best travel accessory?

curlybop

DIS Veteran
Or accessories...... :teeth:

I was just reading a bit ago about things you take but never use, but what about those little things that just make traveling easier?

Such as a lanyard, waterproof pouches, etc. What has been the best for you? I know people probably have products I've never even heard of!

best tip ever for my first cruise many moons ago was to bring an over the door shoe holder

the time that hold about 20 pairs of shoes, each in their own section

costs a few bucks and we used in to keep everything organized

lotion, film, misc cruise stuff, brushes, etc........

hang it over the bathroom door and you are suddenly organized!

I can't travel without my rolling backpack. Regular carry-on bags are cumbersome to me. But my rolling backpack is the perfect size to fit under the seat in the plane so I don't have to put it in the overhead bin. It has pockets to keep my travel docs in so I don't need a purse. Plus there is extra room for books, bottled water, snacks, gum, ear plugs, swim suits. It completely zips unlike beach bag type of bags so nothing is going to fall out. It easily goes on my back or if too heavy, I can wheel it and give my back a break.

I also can't travel without my small hanging toiletry bag. I never unpack it. Its always ready to go with toothbrushes, toothpase, q-tips, cotton balls, travel soaps, shampoo, conditioner, lotion. Its lightweight and hangs on any robe hook or shower pole. But if flying, I have to put it in checked luggage as it contains razors and tweezers.

Slipper socks - because how often are hotel carpets cleaned? More comfortable and compact than flip flops, more durable than regular socks. I wear them in hotel rooms, out on the balcony or patio or even down the hall to use the vending machines.

Baby wipes. It took having a baby to discover these multi-purpose towelletes and now I can't live without them because sometimes you just can't wash your hands (pumping gas, seatbelt sign on while flying). Its better than nothing. Great for wiping sticky little hands and faces too.

This last cruise I brought a surge protected power outlet with 5 or 6 outlets on the strip. It worked great, no more reaching under the TV set to get to the one outlet in our stateroom (8548). In the past I brought an extension cord but the power strip was much easier. We could leave the phone charger, makeup mirror, hair dryer, iPod charger and camera battery charger all plugged in at once -- of course not all were running at the same time. Kathy

Over the door shoe holder, a beach bag for the pools and Castaway Cay, ziplock bags. I could go on, but these are some of the things I'm really glad I brought. :sunny:

Giant Ziploc Bags! DH really thought I had gone of the deep end when he saw I had packed plastic bags, but they came in very handy with wet, sandy swim suits and watershoes after our beach excursions.

Also, the landyard. I had them for our two kids, but not for DH and myself. Guess who kept losing her card? Next time, mom gets a lanyard too! :rotfl2:

CACruisin' said:
Giant Ziploc Bags! DH really thought I had gone of the deep end when he saw I had packed plastic bags, but they came in very handy with wet, sandy swim suits and watershoes after our beach excursions.

Also, the landyard. I had them for our two kids, but not for DH and myself. Guess who kept losing her card? Next time, mom gets a lanyard too! :rotfl2:

We have the Passporter lanyards and find them excellent when travelaing through the airport as well as leaving and entering the ship. They are a convient way of carrying an ID in the airport when you have to have it available for security.

John

tecdavidt said:
This last cruise I brought a surge protected power outlet with 5 or 6 outlets on the strip. It worked great, no more reaching under the TV set to get to the one outlet in our stateroom (8548). In the past I brought an extension cord but the power strip was much easier. We could leave the phone charger, makeup mirror, hair dryer, iPod charger and camera battery charger all plugged in at once -- of course not all were running at the same time. Kathy

Same here-the cell phones alone would drive me nuts! Plus the gameboys!

Thanks for the tip for the surge protector cord. I'll be buying one in the next few days. I have to use Plugged in Oxygen machine& a cpap machine. Last cruise it was a 25.00 deposit & only one outlet. It helped from getting behind the bed :rotfl:

When I travel to WDW, I take a plastic back pack, good for keeping camera's ,cell phones dry on some rides, or if you get some liquid sunshine real fast. :rotfl2: :lmao: :rotfl:

Also the security loves it,they don't have to rubble throught my bags

My DH - I never travel without him!

Some of our favorites:
  • over the door shoe holder - great for all the little things
  • surf safe - those plastic boxes on a cord for you KTTW card
  • travel alarm clock with a light up dial
  • 2 gallon zip lock bags - perfect for packing underwear etc.

We write each boys names on the ziplocs and store clean underwear and socks. Something about traveling makes them confused about which ones belong to them. No matter that they are each 4 years apart.

Downy Wrinkle Release spray (b/c who wants to waste precious cruise time ironing??)

Singles (for tips)

small scissors

waterproof camera for underwater shots on CC!!!

when you get new sheets, curtains, blanket, etc. keep the plastic zip up bag that comes with it. They are a lot larger than regular ziplocs and free! The best one was a Mauna Loa one that came with cans of macadamia's. That had a big shoulder strap on it.

Shout Wipes or Tide Pen. Especially handy for the young'uns when they spill a little and you still want to get a nice picture of them with a character after dinner.

Second the ziploc baggies, power strip, and over the door organizer.

DBinMV

DBinMV said:
Shout Wipes or Tide Pen. Especially handy for the young'uns when they spill a little and you still want to get a nice picture of them with a character after dinner.

Second the ziploc baggies, power strip, and over the door organizer.

DBinMV

Oh good call! I need to pack a Tide Pen.

Way better than the shout wipes. I love it. Of course it gets used more on the adults than anybody else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter