What is the worst storm you have gone through?

A week of rain in 1986 the lead to flooding, and threatened to send rivers over their banks. Left 13 people here dead and did $400 million damage. Some areas here got more rain that week than they get in a year.

Hurricane Andrew. I was stationed at Homestead AFB, and my engineering squadron spent a couple days securing all we could in preparation. I then spent the night of the storm with my girlfriend in Miami. I went back to the base the next day after the storm, and it was just absolutely destroyed.

Worst storm for me was the ice storm of 2013 here in Southern Ontario. I had gotten home from WDW on December 17th and still had final preparations for Christmas to get done.. Woke up the morning of December 20th to a mix of wet snow & ice pellets. Wind was steady with some big gusts. Went out early and grocery shopped for family Christmas gatherings, weather deteriorating quickly. By mid afternoon there was accumulating ice and snow.. wind now crazy. By dinner the power went out and stayed out til late afternoon December 23rd.
No lights.. no heat.. no landline.. and eerie silence except for tree branches breaking under the weight of the ice and ice cracking under the feet of those brave enough to venture out.
It was as cold in the house as outside, I kept my cell phone, laptop and ipad charged using the car battery. Food was sandwiches for the duration. Track suit & long johns with socks for sleeping - under a pile of blankets..

It was an adventure for sure.. not one I’d want to repeat anytime soon though!

The Blizzard of 1978.
That one and also, a totally different type, Hurricane Dolly in about 2009. We were without power for 4 1/2 days (some were without for much longer), temperatures in the 90s and humid so no relief-no fans, air conditioning, or even ice cubes. The joys of living in the Gulf of Mexico.

The blizzard of '96. Four feet of wind-driven snow. I remember my Mom and me shoveling a path to the main street from our house (which was on the corner right near this main street) after it was all over. It took us hours to shovel a path maybe 6 feet long to get to the street, where the snowplows were coming through and workmen were digging paths for the plows.

1) Isabel who by the time it got to us was a TS. However , it had rained so much the week before it helped Isabel knock us for a loop.

2) Snow and ice blizzard of 98: I just had my dd a couple months before .

July 1969 tornado. Heavy rains destroyed the local reservoir causing flood waters to rush into town and wash stores out. I was only 7 but I remember being down in our basement and then the next day walking with my dad down the railroad tracks into town and seeing all the damage. Lots of helicopters flying around.

Camille, Frederick, Elena, Katrina, Zeta and countless small Hurricanes.

Katrina was the worst.

Easter blizzard 1975 in South Dakota.

Hurricane Fran 1996 in NC. Also some pretty major ice storms over the years bringing down trees and power lines. Haven't had a bad one of those in quite some time luckily; the last one I remember being really bad was in the early 2000s, maybe 2002 or something. I lost power for 2-3 days and had several trees down in my yard.

Hurricane Sandi destroyed many homes in my town. I work at a hospital so I wasn’t home for it. I was stuck at the hospital all weekend. Our old house was about a mile in from shore and most of the streets closer to shore were evacuated. It took years for the houses along the coast to be rebuilt.

We had a massive blizzard maybe 10 years ago that dumped around 40 inches of snow on us. (I am along the shore in CT) It was very scary because for weeks it was only one way paths on streets. Nowhere to pull off if a car was coming and people were walking in the street. The snow was so deep and heavy it couldn’t be moved by plows. It needed to be lifted and moved.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!