What is the Royal Gathering?

It's one-on-one photo opportunities with 5 princesses. Photographers are at each station and you're welcome to take your own photos as well.
During mine, I had photos with Moana, Tiana, Cinderella, Rapunzel, and Belle.
My only gripe was having to scan my key card 5 times. I would have preferred one photographer per group taking all the photos, but it is what it is. It seemed to go by so fast but I was having a really great time talking to everyone and getting photos.
Also it's free, you just have to reserve a time.

I don't remember how often they are seen during regular times. I remember seeing Belle and Tiana (and Naveen!) during embarkation day in the grand hall.

The princesses in the Royal Gathering do typically make individual appearances at other times. As Lizgistix describes, the appeal of the Royal Gathering is that all of the princesses are around at the same time, so you need to line up only once to see them all instead of lining up at 5 different times.

The number of princess will vary depending on the ship. We had 4 princesses, Belle, Rapunzel, Tiana and Ariel on our cruise on the Wonder. It was very nice not waiting very long to see them.

This was on the Fantasy in December. I didn't really care about seeing any of the characters but did take these two photos. I guess this is a Royal Gathering? You can see 4 characters - two way at the end to the right. And the 2nd photo is Elsa who was up on a balcony overlooking the Atrium.

Attachments

• Princesses.jpg
    Princesses.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 70
  • Elsa.jpg
    Elsa.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 68
We had 4 princesses also: Tiana, Belle, Cinderella, and Ariel. This was on the Wonder in December. Maybe because it was a 4 day Merrytime there just wasn't enough time, but we did not see them at another point in time. Thankfully they had 2 days of sign ups. We did see Rapunzel and Moana several times throughout the cruise.

When we go to book this, is there some way to book it so we don't have to blindly search every day? Is there a certain day we should check first? (6 nights, Fantasy)

When we go to book this, is there some way to book it so we don't have to blindly search every day? Is there a certain day we should check first? (6 nights, Fantasy)
No. You have to go into every day. Also, I think they add events if there’s a lot of interest. I wasn’t able to book it ahead of time in either the Wish or Fantasy. I went to guest services and put our name on a wait list then they messaged us in the app and called our stateroom to tell us we had been added to one. So don’t stress too much if you can’t book it ahead of time. I think booking BBB is more critical if that’s on your to-do list.

You will be able to see which days they offer the Royal Gathering at the same time you can book excursions, Palo, etc. The event will show, but it will say you when you can book it 30 days from your cruise. So when you go to check-in online, you can pre-plan which day you want to do the Princess Gathering and go to that day right away. If it is full, you can have a back up day ready.

Booking this is part of the midnight check-in frenzy. You can see when they are ahead of time as you peruse your itinerary activities and excursions, but reserving is same time as the check-in process. And they can fill quickly.

The upside is typically shorter lines and you can knock-out several princesses at once if that's what is interesting to you. We watched a couple from the 4th deck of the Wish on our last cruise. Always looked like at least 4 princesses were present on that cruise.

I clicked day 3 right at midnight (11 pm cst) the app would not let me go through to the planning page and it took 3 mins of refreshing and going back and forth right at 12 am est) and nothing was available. Day 6 I saw 2 openings (9 and 9:15 am) but got the ‘no longer unavailable’ message once I selected my party of 5. Nothing available. Bummer.

I did get a survey quickly and selected ‘poor’ experience for most options. I will not be in a rush to check in and will take my time as we are booked on Disney transportation.

I clicked day 3 right at midnight (11 pm cst) the app would not let me go through to the planning page and it took 3 mins of refreshing and going back and forth right at 12 am est) and nothing was available. Day 6 I saw 2 openings (9 and 9:15 am) but got the ‘no longer unavailable’ message once I selected my party of 5. Nothing available. Bummer.

I did get a survey quickly and selected ‘poor’ experience for most options. I will not be in a rush to check in and will take my time as we are booked on Disney transportation.
I’m sorry. The DCL website is horrible but the onboard app works much better. Just go to guest services once you get there.

I’m sorry. The DCL website is horrible but the onboard app works much better. Just go to guest services once you get there.
I was using the app. It’s spring break up north so a completely booked cruise, but the app should be able to handle the traffic. It’s unbelievable until it happens to you.

Other than the princesses is the a reason to check in at midnight vs the next morning?
If you book Disney transportation to the cruise, you will automatically get a port arrival assigned so you don’t need to be up at midnight.

I don't understand why the "Royal Gathering" (formerly called the "Princess Gathering") is only reservable 30 days before sailing and how anyone is supposed to know that unless they're here on DisBoards.

This page mentions "Ticketed Character Greetings" (https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faq/booking-reservations/port-adventures-spa-salon-childcare/) and when you click that, it takes you to this page (https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/onboard-activities/character-greetings/), which lists the "Princess Gathering". So it appears that you should be able to book it when your CC date comes up.

I don't care about the PAT/BG and am debating if I want to stay up till midnight and deal w/ check-in craziness but I also don't want to miss the "Royal Gathering." If I can't get a ticket for it in advance, what's my best strategy for getting a ticket once onboard? Thanks!

PS: Relatedly, other things I want to get tickets for are a Character Breakfast and the Frozen meet-and-greet. And maybe Palo brunch. Are those truly reservable when our CC booking window opens? Thanks.

If you book Disney transportation to the cruise, you will automatically get a port arrival assigned so you don’t need to be up at midnight.
ONLY for DCL transfers from a WDW resort or the Hyatt Lobby. Transfers from the airport still need a PAT which determines the Boarding Group.

ONLY for DCL transfers from a WDW resort or the Hyatt Lobby. Transfers from the airport still need a PAT which determines the Boarding Group.
Makes sense if arriving the same day.

Most of our flights in the last 2 years have been delayed or cancelled last min and we’ve had to scramble to rebook, so would not recommend.

@Seamama: We are booked on the 7 day Eastern Caribbean cruise and there is no character breakfast (I believe it was only for the Pixar cruises until March).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter