What is the least traditional food item that hits your holiday table?

And what did you find lol
White Castle’s other name is murder burgers :teeth:
I learned that buying White Castle sliders, tearing them up into pieces, seasoning them with sage and thyme and then moistening them with chicken broth a la regular stuffing, is a thing. You need to allow one slider for each pound of turkey. This just sounds like a ploy to sell more White Castle sliders when nobody is buying their sliders otherwise, because it is turkey day.

These “salads” discussed above are such a weird thing to this Aussie! Are they desserts served afterwards or do you eat them alongside your entree? I don’t understand the jello / whipped topping and-or cottage cheese mixed with soft things then crunchy things.

I follow That Midwestern Mom on Insta and and she does a bit on “Minnesota salads that aren’t really salads” - which tend to horrify me at the same time as intrigue me.
In our family, the jellied salads are definitely served alongside the main meal. I don't know why that is, as they really are nothing but desserts. The "family recipe" from my husband's side is lime Jello, cream cheese, Dream Whip, and crushed pineapple. On my side of the family, we kept things simple and just went with the can of drained fruit cocktail stirred into cherry Jello. Those things just went on your plate right alongside the turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, and cranberry sauce. I can see why it would be weird to people that hadn't grown up with it.

Well I'm boring - Key Lime Pie. DD insisted on it about 5-6 years ago and we love it so much it's replaced Pumpkin pie.

I think Key Lime pie is traditional for us, and maybe many Floridians, but it probably is unusual other places. I make pumpkin, apple and Key Lime every year.

I learned that buying White Castle sliders, tearing them up into pieces, seasoning them with sage and thyme and then moistening them with chicken broth a la regular stuffing, is a thing. You need to allow one slider for each pound of turkey. This just sounds like a ploy to sell more White Castle sliders when nobody is buying their sliders otherwise, because it is turkey day.
And surprisingly pretty good though I still prefer traditional stuffing.

In our family, the jellied salads are definitely served alongside the main meal. I don't know why that is, as they really are nothing but desserts. The "family recipe" from my husband's side is lime Jello, cream cheese, Dream Whip, and crushed pineapple. On my side of the family, we kept things simple and just went with the can of drained fruit cocktail stirred into cherry Jello. Those things just went on your plate right alongside the turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, and cranberry sauce. I can see why it would be weird to people that hadn't grown up with it.
I remember my mum during her dieting in the 70’s era would mix cottage cheese with diet jello then adding tinned peaches or pineapple but this was definitely only served as a dessert.

Australians just don’t seem to have sweet dishes served with their entrees (called mains here in Australia) other then condiments like apple sauce or cranberry sauce (but it’s not like the canned cranberry jelly log thing I’ve seen on movies and YouTube etc). Even sweet potatoes / yams here are either roasted alongside potatoes or mashed with butter and that tends to be it - no cinnamon / brown sugar / definitely no marshmallows!

Mac and cheese as a northerner is about as adventurous as we get. It’s a staple in other families and definitely in the south so it’s really just unique for us. If I were with my Italian in-laws we’d also have some first course of manicotti or gnocchi. Not traditional but very traditional in Italian and Northern Nj families 🤣

Mac and cheese as a northerner is about as adventurous as we get. It’s a staple in other families and definitely in the south so it’s really just unique for us. If I were with my Italian in-laws we’d also have some first course of manicotti or gnocchi. Not traditional but very traditional in Italian and Northern Nj families 🤣
Yep, baked manicotti or stuffed shells as a Thanksgiving side, then lasagna as a side on Christmas Day.

Stuffed mushrooms every holiday too, lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter