What is the appeal of the Maiden Voyage on the Disney Wish???

Girl of the South

DIS Veteran
I am not an avid cruiser - have done 7 Disney cruises and a few on other lines. I just watched a YouTube video on which cruises NOT to pick and one was a "maiden voyage" due to the fact that sometimes the date has to be changed, and some 'attractions' aren't fully functional, the kitchens may not run as predicted, there may still be work being finished up, etc. Made sense to me. Is it mostly just 'bragging rights' that is the appeal?? He also said not to book a ship that has JUST gotten out of dry dock, to give it a couple voyages to make sure what needed to be repaired, was done. The guy made sense to me but maybe I am missing something? Just curious!

You hit it on the head, it is bragging rights. I have been on two maiden voyages in my life (Celebrity Zenith and Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas) and nothing really went off badly on those cruises from my recollection. That being said, I have had conversations at length with cast members who have described that Disney ships coming out of dry dock are still being finished on their sailing across from European shipyards back to the US for their first revenue sailing after the changes.

I think I've seen the same video! But yes the bragging rights are what make them so sought after and so expensive. Kinda like how when a new restaurant opens in town, I'll wait and let the kinks work itself out. It would be cool to go as a bucket list trip of sorts, but I'm not going to make it a priority.

I guess everyone has different experiences. Of my 17 Disney cruises the Maiden voyage on the Fantasy is certainly one of my favorites. I guess we lucked out there were no negative issues that we encountered and we didn’t pay too much of a premium. We had very unique entertainment (Leah Salonga, Steven Schwartz, Larry the Cable guy) Many opportunities to hear several top Imagineers, John Lassiter and field questions to Bob Iger. Executives stayed on board for entire 7 night cruise.

Of course gifts in our room every night was also fun, but it was more about the experience, so I am hoping I am able to book the Wish maiden. Although with the new tiering system and the way the prices have jumped since 2012 it might not be a reality. I paid between 6 and 7k for a 5b stateroom for 2a and 1c. I wouldn’t be surprised if prices will be more than double for the 2a I have to book now that I paid for 3 people.

I was going to ask if you got a cool tshirt or maybe an iPad with the date engraved on the back???

On my Eastbound trans Atlantic cruise on the Magic in 2018, one of the port stops was Cobh, Ireland, which was a lovely little town. It was the last port stop for the Titanic.

Lest we forget, the Titanic was on it's maiden voyage . . .

I do hope the people who get to go have a very positive experience!

I was on one of the pre-MV cruises on the Fantasy. It was different from the MV as it was mostly adults (travel industry and media) which was kind of strange, but it was SO magical just to see the new venues, shows, dining options, BBB. The CMs were so excited to show us everything. I've been on a number of DCL cruises and they were all wonderful, but there was something very special about getting this "sneak peak". I am going to try for a stateroom on the Wish MV. I do like the fact that it's 5 nights as I would like to have the time to really explore the ship. If it's too cost prohibitive, we'll just book another date and I'm sure it will be just as magical. We were also on the Magic when they "inaugurated" the Norway itineraries and that felt incredibly special as well. We did get some special inaugural swag as well!

More than bragging rights, methinks. Months, or even years from now, someone, on some forum somewhere, will be posting "Well, when WE were on the first sailing of the Wish . . ."

For me it’s because it’s a 5 night cruise as opposed to the 3 or 4 nights that the Wish is booked to do afterwards.

Quite frankly our family just started to discuss just doing a back to back instead of the Maiden.
Pretty much the same here. I may consider just doing my first B2B instead.

It's just like people lining up outside the Apple stores overnight to snag the new iPhone. There is a market, and people will pay - and along the way subsidize a more normal experience for the rest of us.

Last edited:
More than bragging rights, methinks. Months, or even years from now, someone, on some forum somewhere, will be posting "Well, when WE were on the first sailing of the Wish . . ."
I mean, isn’t that just bragging rights?

I do think it is about experiences and making memories though. Bucket list stuff. I would always remember being in a maiden voyage even if I never told/bragged to another soul.

It’s like how I will always remember seeing Sigur Ros (my favorite band) live in concert, even though I can hear the same songs on my iphone any day of the week. It just felt more special live, and I imagine a MV feels kind of the same.

I could be wrong but a back to back would give you 7 nights for the same price/a better price?

I am thinking I will do back to back if I go on the wish at all (being only a Silver or DVC I have zero chance at the maiden).

As far as pricing and all of that its 5 straight instead of being 7 where you basically lose a day in the middle. So its almost like 6 vs 5 although on the back to back you can load up on more booze/water in the middle of the trip I guess as a positive lol.

In reality, nobody cares. I don't know one person in my life I could brag to in fact I don't know one person that would even know what the Wish was. I'm sure if I did sail on the MV and told someone outside of Disney forum what I paid they'd think I was a complete fool.

I think it would be fun to be on the maiden voyage! Of course they'll be working out the kinks but the level of excitement will be off the charts.

For us, it's too much overhead for just a 5 night. Plus, we have zero interest in Nassau. None. So the Bahamas itinerary is what cinched it for us.

I was on one of the pre-MV cruises on the Fantasy. It was different from the MV as it was mostly adults (travel industry and media) which was kind of strange, but it was SO magical just to see the new venues, shows, dining options, BBB. The CMs were so excited to show us everything. I've been on a number of DCL cruises and they were all wonderful, but there was something very special about getting this "sneak peak". I am going to try for a stateroom on the Wish MV. I do like the fact that it's 5 nights as I would like to have the time to really explore the ship. If it's too cost prohibitive, we'll just book another date and I'm sure it will be just as magical. We were also on the Magic when they "inaugurated" the Norway itineraries and that felt incredibly special as well. We did get some special inaugural swag as well!
We were on Fantasy MV - by accident since the dates were changed and our reservation was honored - and it was a special cruise. I hope to be on the Wish MV too, but I doubt anyone past the first few tiers has a chance.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter