What is going on with ECV - policy change Nov 1. 2012

sjs314 said:
What is next will they dictate which shopping services guests can order from as this is another service that is "provided" to the guests as a courtesy Just as the handling of ECVs?

Like someone else mentioned I go to Disney because they make it easy for the disabled to be Accommodated.

Courtesy valet parking for those with a HA ply card is yet another service that uses "CM" time

I am upset that Dsney is now in effect telling me who I can rent a scooter from if I want the convience of it being there waiting for me when I check in.

Disney also dose not have to give you free valet parking. Disney is telling you which company's are willing to pay to make sure their guest get an ecv. Disney bell services are not their to hold things from outside company's. if your so upset complain to your rental company may be then their pay Disney the fee and then be your be able to have it drop off ahead of time.

Disneypubgal said:
I don't think this is a customer service issue either, I think it is about $. I think this does take up extra time on the part of the bell services. But I would rather they charged me a small fee for drop off and pick up at the resort similar to package delivery than to add it to the scooter companies so that I don't have to figure out which ones are preferred...

Yeah why not just say the preferred ones can drop it for free and other Dan charge a flat fee of lets say 15 to the guest and be able to drop off ahead of time.

sjs314 said:
I agree about just charge me a fee for the using Bell Services and I do feel it is a decline in customer service as I mentioned what about grocery orders which I am sure out way in number compared to ECV and grocery orders are delivered to be guests room whereas ECV is picked up by the guest themselves.

And I checked Walker & Buena Vista are more expense at $30 a day

How is it a decline in customer service when it not a service they have supply. I also agree that this should be a cross the board change that affects all services that use bell services.

I just called and spoke to Tom in Bell services and he told me the 3 Top "Partners" Scooter Rentals with Disney are

Buena Vista

Apple

Walker

:)
Thank you very much for calling, and for posting the response! It's great to see Apple on the list. And this change won't affect Randy's, because they've always delivered directly to and picked up from the renter (no Bell Services involved).

I worked as a Customer Service Supervisor for many years and any service provided as a courtesy to a guest/patron when taken away falls into what I see as a decline in customer service. I do agree it is all about the "almighty dollar" and cut backs in personnel not a problem only with Disney but everywhere do to the economy.

I worked as a Customer Service Supervisor for many years and any service provided as a courtesy to a guest/patron when taken away falls into what I see as a decline in customer service. I do agree it is all about the "almighty dollar" and cut backs in personnel not a problem only with Disney but everywhere do to the economy.
But WDW isn't removing a service offered as a courtesy. Guests can still rent mobility devices from offsite vendors. Guests have choices:
Rent from a partner vendor so the device will be waiting no matter what time of day or night the guest arrives;
Rent from a non-partner vendor willing to meet the guest at/near resort arrival time;
Rent from a non-partner vendor and coordinate one's arrival time with the vendor's delivery schedule:
Rent from a combination: one night from a partner, remainder of trip from one's own preferred company.

I can see why Disney wouldn't want to get involved in charging individual guests. As the OP said, the list is evolving; this is actually an issue between the companies; Bell Services isn't able to process payments (and coordinating the charge with the guests room would be difficult) and charges for shipments are at conference resorts/through shipping...

The reason that these are considered "Partner" companies, has nothing to do with Bell Services holding scooters per se. These companies pay for the allowance to be able to not only go on property and have their scooters stored, but these companies also have the ability to go into the parks itself to care for their scooters. If you have a problem in the back of MK for example and you rent from one of those 3 companies, they can come to the back of MK to help you. Others have been told when renting from other companies, that they will help them as soon as they get to the gate. Why? Because those companies won't pay to have access to the parks.

For what it is worth. Apple has one of the cheapest prices for scooter rental $125 for 7 days is not bad. If I didn't take my own scooter, this is who I would rent from. They even helped me with my personal scooter when I had trouble down there. That is great customer service in my book, especially since I wasn't a customer of theirs. When another person in our party needed one this past January, because of how I was treated the first time, was the first and only people we called to get a scooter.

I can see why Disney wouldn't want to get involved in charging individual guests. As the OP said, the list is evolving; this is actually an issue between the companies; Bell Services isn't able to process payments (and coordinating the charge with the guests room would be difficult) and charges for shipments are at conference resorts/through shipping...

I can also understand why WDW does not get involved in charging the guest directly for delivery through Bell Services - that could go wrong in so many ways. Mainly, guests would begin to feel they were being "nickel & dimed" with little charges like that; but it also could be a nightmare for them to keep track of it all. They don't charge for most other things through Bell Services - grocery stores charge for your delivery, but not WDW; the post office/UPS/FedEx (etc.) charge for you to ship something, but WDW does not charge to receive it for you. If they truly are now required to pay a fee directly to WDW for the privilege of delivering through Bell Services, I can probably see the ECV rental companies passing that along as a fee THEY charge the guest (not WDW) - and if a guest doesn't wish to pay that fee, he/she is free to rent from another company and arrange drop-off/pick-up directly. Unfortunately, it's all part of the cost of doing business and Disney is ultimately a business.

The reason that these are considered "Partner" companies, has nothing to do with Bell Services holding scooters per se. These companies pay for the allowance to be able to not only go on property and have their scooters stored, but these companies also have the ability to go into the parks itself to care for their scooters. If you have a problem in the back of MK for example and you rent from one of those 3 companies, they can come to the back of MK to help you. Others have been told when renting from other companies, that they will help them as soon as they get to the gate. Why? Because those companies won't pay to have access to the parks.

For what it is worth. Apple has one of the cheapest prices for scooter rental $125 for 7 days is not bad. If I didn't take my own scooter, this is who I would rent from. They even helped me with my personal scooter when I had trouble down there. That is great customer service in my book, especially since I wasn't a customer of theirs. When another person in our party needed one this past January, because of how I was treated the first time, was the first and only people we called to get a scooter.

Thank you so much for this post. We are renting a scooter for the first time for my mom. I never even thought about what to do if there was a problem with the scooter in a park. And I've been looking at Apple, so looks like we are good with the dropoff issue as well. :goodvibes

Thank you so much for this post. We are renting a scooter for the first time for my mom. I never even thought about what to do if there was a problem with the scooter in a park. And I've been looking at Apple, so looks like we are good with the dropoff issue as well. :goodvibes

I'm another who highly recommends Apple Scooters and am glad to see them on the preferred list. We used them for the first time about a month ago (Sept 1st-8th) for my mom's ECV. We usually use Walkers, but Apple was quite a bit cheaper, so decided to give them a try. We had a rental car and the Go Go Elite they gave us was very easy to assemble and disassemble and fit easily into the trunk of the midsize car we had.

I just called and spoke to Tom in Bell services and he told me the 3 Top "Partners" Scooter Rentals with Disney are

Buena Vista

Apple

Walker

:)

This is a start and hopefully we can all help out, here as we get new information; so, we can update this as it changes.

Walker will also come into the parks. I had that happen last month, my ECV died at the MK and they brought me a new one right in the MK, it was so nice not to have to try to get out of the park, meet the driver and then go back in. We have even had one come and change out a battery at Epcot for us one evening.

I'm glad they're on the list, though, hopefully, after I get my foot problem corrected, I won't have to use one anymore.

Dear Sir/Madam:
This letter is to inform you that the Walt Disney World® Resort (hereafter, “Disney”) has entered into agreements with certain vendors of Electric Conveyance Vehicles (ECVs), wheel chairs, and strollers. This has resulted in the development of new policies for the delivery and pickup of these items. These policies will go into effect Thursday, November 1, 2012 and will be strictly enforced.
Therefore, other vendors of ECVs, wheelchairs, and strollers (hereafter “said devices”) with which Disney does not have an agreement, must adhere to the following policies:
1. All deliveries and retrievals of said devices must be done in a public area at the resort the Guest is staying.
2. All deliveries and retrievals of said devices must be made directly with the guest who has reservedlrented the vehicle(s) while the Guest is physically present.
3. Devices may not be left at any location on Disney property to be picked up by a Guest or retrieved by a vendor.
4. No back stage access to theme parks, resorts, water parks, Downtown Disney, or other non-Guest areas, will be granted for the purpose of delivering or retrieving of said devices.
5. A said device that is left at any location on Disney property, by a vendor or a Guest in the process of delivering or retrieving it, will be considered abandoned.
6. Any such abandoned device will not be released to a Guest, even if that Guest claims that it was dropped off for the Guest use pursuant to a rental agreement.
7. Abandoned devices will only be released to a vendor upon payment of a $75.00 handling and storage fee.
8. Any agent, owner, or employee of a vendor found in a backstage area without certified written approval, will hereafter be issued a trespass warning, permanently barring that individual from entry onto Walt Disney World® property.
9. It is the sole responsibility of the vendor to contact Guests who have reserved any of the said devices beyond October 31, 2012, and arrange for physical pickup and delivery with that Guest.
Any questions or concerns should be directed to Walt Disney Sourcing and Procurement at 407-828-3764 or 407-828-3342.
Thank you,
P.O. Box 10000, Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830
Tel 407.934.7379 Fax 407,8283521

alokhum said:
Dear Sir/Madam:
This letter is to inform you that the Walt Disney World® Resort (hereafter, “Disney”) has entered into agreements with certain vendors of Electric Conveyance Vehicles (ECVs), wheel chairs, and strollers. This has resulted in the development of new policies for the delivery and pickup of these items. These policies will go into effect Thursday, November 1, 2012 and will be strictly enforced.
Therefore, other vendors of ECVs, wheelchairs, and strollers (hereafter “said devices”) with which Disney does not have an agreement, must adhere to the following policies:
1. All deliveries and retrievals of said devices must be done in a public area at the resort the Guest is staying.
2. All deliveries and retrievals of said devices must be made directly with the guest who has reservedlrented the vehicle(s) while the Guest is physically present.
3. Devices may not be left at any location on Disney property to be picked up by a Guest or retrieved by a vendor.
4. No back stage access to theme parks, resorts, water parks, Downtown Disney, or other non-Guest areas, will be granted for the purpose of delivering or retrieving of said devices.
5. A said device that is left at any location on Disney property, by a vendor or a Guest in the process of delivering or retrieving it, will be considered abandoned.
6. Any such abandoned device will not be released to a Guest, even if that Guest claims that it was dropped off for the Guest use pursuant to a rental agreement.
7. Abandoned devices will only be released to a vendor upon payment of a $75.00 handling and storage fee.
8. Any agent, owner, or employee of a vendor found in a backstage area without certified written approval, will hereafter be issued a trespass warning, permanently barring that individual from entry onto Walt Disney World® property.
9. It is the sole responsibility of the vendor to contact Guests who have reserved any of the said devices beyond October 31, 2012, and arrange for physical pickup and delivery with that Guest.
Any questions or concerns should be directed to Walt Disney Sourcing and Procurement at 407-828-3764 or 407-828-3342.
Thank you,
P.O. Box 10000, Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830
Tel 407.934.7379 Fax 407,8283521

Thanks for posting this so it not only effecting ecv users but guest renting strollers to. Beside the money Disney getting from the preferred vendors they also trying to keep a closer eye on the employees of the rental company's.

It's also a huge liability issue - if you start charging guests for certain services from outside companies, you then take on the responsibility of those objects and services. My guess is that some fly-by-night company was abusing the privilege of dropping off equipment, and thus the changes were made. I'm sure contracts were drawn up, meetings held, and legal documents signed by the approved companies.

Thanks for posting this so it not only effecting ecv users but guest renting strollers to. Beside the money Disney getting from the preferred vendors they also trying to keep a closer eye on the employees of the rental company's.

I am a bit worried now. I travel to WDW soon and will be there when this November new policy comes into play. I have rented an ECV through a non preferred partner of Disney and its too late to change to Apple now as I will loose my money. I am worried about the part that says about the scooters being left. What if I go into a shop leaving my scooter outside in my resort and they consider it abandoned and I have to pay 75 dollars to get it back? Also I use to leave it outside my room at SSR on charge. I assume this is no longer allowed unless its a partner scooter? Next time I will book Apple. Wish I had!

No, you're reading the document wrong. The $75 charge will be assessed to non-partner vendors who leave the rented item somewhere on property for the renter to pick up, instead of meeting the renter at the beginning and end of the rental perio to transfer the item.

See line number five; abandonment refers to delivery and pick-up, not usage. But you shouldn't be leaving an ecv outside the room for charging, since your responsible for it if it disappears. Bring an extension cord, park it inside near the door, and plug it into any outlet.

kaytieeldr said:
No, you're reading the document wrong. The $75 charge will be assessed to non-partner vendors who leave the rented item somewhere on property for the renter to pick up, instead of meeting the renter at the beginning and end of the rental perio to transfer the item.

See line number five; abandonment refers to delivery and pick-up, not usage. But you shouldn't be leaving an ecv outside the room for charging, since your responsible for it if it disappears. Bring an extension cord, park it inside near the door, and plug it into any outlet.

Oh thank goodness I read it wrong! Actually I agree. On reflection I will do exactly that re park it inside. Thank you!

I am a bit worried now. I travel to WDW soon and will be there when this November new policy comes into play. I have rented an ECV through a non preferred partner of Disney and its too late to change to Apple now as I will loose my money. I am worried about the part that says about the scooters being left. What if I go into a shop leaving my scooter outside in my resort and they consider it abandoned and I have to pay 75 dollars to get it back? Also I use to leave it outside my room at SSR on charge. I assume this is no longer allowed unless its a partner scooter? Next time I will book Apple. Wish I had!

Just trying to be helpful. I have never had any issue having room to plug my scooter in in my room at SSR. I have stayed in all the room configurations there at SSR, and it has never been in the way in the room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter