What is a navigator's verandah?

Here is the funny thing about this thread. I have been on four disney cruises in the last 3 years, but my first cruise was 10 years ago for our honeymoon. It was my first cruise, and really one of my first vacations that I planned on my own. I booked a navigator's verandah. Even after the cruise I never really understood what it was that made our room different from regular verandah's.

Now I know....nothing. We were obviously upgraded to a regular verandah, as our veranda was nothing like those pictured in this thread. I had no idea that we were upgraded...until today.

Amazing. Ever since that cruise I never understood what a Navigator's verandah was, even after staying in one. Now I know that I have not stayed in one...amazing.

Thanks for the thread...

This is too funny.

so, how do you go about booking a "nav verandah" rather than a regular one? is it a separate category? we just booked on the fantasy for next may (and so it may not be an option for us this time) and did a verandah, but saving $ would be nice and now that someone put it in my head, lol, the peace of mind would be nice as well (we were on the cruise in march that the cast member disappeared so i'm a little nervous about the overboard issue). so...either for this cruise or another one (still planning an alaska and a med in the coming years) how does one go about getting a Nav vs reg verandah? tia!

so, how do you go about booking a "nav verandah" rather than a regular one? is it a separate category? we just booked on the fantasy for next may (and so it may not be an option for us this time) and did a verandah, but saving $ would be nice and now that someone put it in my head, lol, the peace of mind would be nice as well (we were on the cruise in march that the cast member disappeared so i'm a little nervous about the overboard issue). so...either for this cruise or another one (still planning an alaska and a med in the coming years) how does one go about getting a Nav vs reg verandah? tia!

Navigator's verandahs are Cat 7 on the Magic and Wonder. I don't think they have this category on the Dream or Fantasy.

Any pics of the regular verandah? We have a nav verandah booked and I just wanted to compare.

DSC_0092_3.jpg

This is a Cat. 5 on the Magic--Strm. 7526.

Hope this helps! :thumbsup2

I've never had a room with a verandah. Is it easy to fall overboard? Are the Navigator Verandahs that much safer?

It is NOT easy to fall overboard! Case in point - no passenger has ever fallen overboard from a Disney ship. (There was a kid who jumped off while docked in port - on a dare or something like that - and I believe the family was thrown off the ship as a result.)

The "regular" veranda railings are quite high, and they are lined with plexiglass. But - I'd never allow a young child to hang out there alone. The locks on the doors are quite good, too - all have a lock at the handle and then a high lock as well. They are difficult for me to open, much less my kids.

I never knew the exact difference between Navigators Verandah and regular one's. Helpful info:goodvibes May have to check the prices for the Navs for our NYC cruise.

We have had both types of verandahs and I wasn't disappointed in the least with the navigator verandah. When we sail again just the two of us or with our son I would save the money to spend on something else on board by booking another navigator verandah.

We have had both types of verandahs and I wasn't disappointed in the least with the navigator verandah. When we sail again just the two of us or with our son I would save the money to spend on something else on board by booking another navigator verandah.

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your Navigator's Verandah. We were upgraded from our 9B GTY Ocean View stateroom to a 7A Navigator's Verandah on our upcoming cruise to Alaska next month. We were thrilled to receive the upgrade and look forward to our first verandah. :flower3:

It is NOT easy to fall overboard! Case in point - no passenger has ever fallen overboard from a Disney ship. (There was a kid who jumped off while docked in port - on a dare or something like that - and I believe the family was thrown off the ship as a result.)

The "regular" veranda railings are quite high, and they are lined with plexiglass. But - I'd never allow a young child to hang out there alone. The locks on the doors are quite good, too - all have a lock at the handle and then a high lock as well. They are difficult for me to open, much less my kids.

THANK YOU for this info! we have gone back and forth (for reasons not connected to safety) with having a verandah booked to switching to inside cabins and today i'm going to switch us back to verandahs. one of my concerns was leaving my kids to sleep in the room alone (they will be 10 and 8) w/ my non ajoined mil keeping an eye on them. if we were ajoining she would hear the door open but with them not...now it may be a moot point b/c of us switching back but i am relieved to hear about the 2nd higher up lock. thanks for sharing!

There seems to be 2 different categories with nav. verandah on the Wonder. What is the difference?

There seems to be 2 different categories with nav. verandah on the Wonder. What is the difference?

According to the Disney Cruise Line website the only catagory is 7A but the staterooms are on Decks 5, 6 and 7. Why do you think there are 2 different categories? :confused3 I know there are some verandahs with a solid white wall instead of the plexiglass but those are not navigator's verandahs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter