What is a GAC?

3Mousketeers

Mouseketeer
Hi - I am trying to help a friend plan a trip to WDW. Her 4 yr old DS has epilepsy that has left her with gross motor delays. I just found this forum and was wondering if anyone could provide any helpful hints to make their trip as magical as possible. I read a few posts about the GAC. Is this something that would be helpful for her? Thank you!

GAC is the Guest Assistance Card... what you do is the first time you go to a park go to guest services and ask for one they will ask what you need it for like can you not stay out in the sun for so long, if you are in a wheel chair, etc... this card will be good for the length of your trip and will enable you to use the handicap entrances for rides.. i believe www.allears.net has a link that will give you a more indepth desc.

The GAC pass may be very helpful in thier trip

I hope thats a little bit helpful.

On the other hand, I have been in a wheelchair every single time I go to Disney, have never even heard of the GAC until a few weeks ago, and got along fine throughout Disney.

LindsayDunn228 said:
On the other hand, I have been in a wheelchair every single time I go to Disney, have never even heard of the GAC until a few weeks ago, and got along fine throughout Disney.

I was down there about a week or so after I had broken my knee so i was in a wheelchair cause walking with crutches not the most comfy thing in the world or at least not to me... and after about a day with out having a GAC pass my family was kinda fed up so we ended up getting one (things were just going all wrong on that trip to begin with this just fed the fire) it made it a little easier on our party for having a GAC

The will not give a GAC to you if you are a wheelchair user unless there is another reason you need it like you can't be in the sun or have another reason that you can't wait in the regular line. In years past the lines were not wheelchair accessible now they are.

Michigan said:
The will not give a GAC to you if you are a wheelchair user unless there is another reason you need it like you can't be in the sun or have another reason that you can't wait in the regular line. In years past the lines were not wheelchair accessible now they are.
Agreeing with Michigan. ::yes::
All of the fastpass lines and many of the regular lines are wheelchair accessible, so people with wheelchairs or ecvs mostly wait in line with everyone else.
The GAC is not a pass and it is not meant to (and probably won't) shorten or eliminate your wait in line. It's not a front of the line pass. If you have a wheelchair or ecv, you don't generally need a GAC because the CM can tell from seeing the the wheelchair/ecv that you need a wheelchair accessible entrance. (An exception to this is children who have a mobility device that looks like a stroller will probably need a GAC in order for it to be used in lines)
The GAC is a tool to let the CMs know what invisible needs someone with a disability has so that they can help to meet your needs. That doesn't mean they always can - you might need a place to sit while in line, but there are none, so they can't provide it. They might be able to provide things like a place to wait out of the sun when the line is located in the sun.
Have your friend think about the needs of her child. One of the big ones, might be to be able to use a stroller as if it was a wheelchair (bringing the stroller into lines and buildings where strollers are not usually allowed).
The GAC is usually issued for up to 6 people (5 plus the person with a disability) and is usually issued to be valid for your entire stay.

Thank you for the information. The part about the disability being "invisible" definitely holds true because she outwardly looks like an average 4 yr old but it would probably be really helpful to keep the stroller in places where they are usually not allowed. I know they don't want/expect any special treatment like being moved up in line - they just want to do anything that could make the trip more comfortable for their daughter. She is not wheelchair bound, she is just delayed - so she walks more slowly and with less stamina. Anyway, I'll pass this info along and hope it helps. Thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter