What I'm Focussed On - Fireworks for the Year

PrincessInOz

Thanks for my avatar, Mary Jo!
The purpose of this Assignment is to get out and have fun using our cameras, maybe learning a few things along the way, so pictures should be new as often as possible (though if you have a relatively new picture that fits a category, you can use it). All cameras and skill levels are welcome.

This could be one that we run for the year. No prizes can be rewarded other than recognition for a job well done!

Where possible, please use pictures taken from 15 December 2013. If you do have a recent (2013’ish) picture already on file, by all means post it – but the intent of this assignment is to get out and about.
If you post a picture, please share what you did to take the picture irrespective of whether you shoot with a point and shoot or a dSLR. For those with a dSLR, please include your ISO, aperture and shutter speed; as well as a brief description of anything that might help others learn from your experience.

Other Threads in the Series:
Merry Christmas Lights
Fireworks for the Year
Picture Composition
Action Shots
Projection Mappings
Flowers and Gardens
Animals
Water
Land and City Scapes
Food Glorious Food
Blood Moon
Sigma 17-35 mm, f/1.8 Lens
FurBabies

Scavenger Hunt 2015
Favourites of 2015

Last edited:
What Im Focussed On - Fireworks for the Year

Happy New Year everyone!

I am fortunate to live in the Southern Hemisphere for this time of year. It means that if the weatherman is kind, I could be looking at a balmy summer's night to enjoy New Years Eve celebrations. For me, this means that I am not freezing cold to capture those wonderful fireworks to ring in the New Year.

So, this assignment is all about Fireworks.

Please share how your New Years Eve fireworks looks like through your lens. I appreciate that this might be one of those shooting excursions that is completely dependent on the weather where you live.

Therefore, if you shoot Fireworks anytime during the year; please post as well.

References for a dSLR:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/fireworks.htm
http://digital-photography-school.com/how-to-photograph-fireworks
http://www.wikihow.com/Photograph-Fireworks
http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2011/qt_tips_photograph_fireworks_article.htmlp

References for a Point and Shoot:
http://www.photokaboom.com/photography/learn/tips/049b_fireworks_p_and_s_cameras.htm
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...ntshoot-fla360_1_camera-point-n-shoot-shutter
http://www.maclife.com/article/features/how_photograph_fireworks_any_camera

References for a phone camera:
http://gizmodo.com/how-to-take-photos-of-fireworks-with-your-phone-5923208
http://mashable.com/2012/07/03/how-to-take-photos-of-fireworks-with-your-phone/

And if anyone else finds better references, please post the link!

Appreciate the tips for point and shoot! Fireworks are a tricky one.

DSCN2152.jpg

Happy New Year everyone!

I was at the Docklands precinct in Melbourne for the fireworks tonight. A balmy day in the 70's resulted in a cool, crisp night in the mid 50's. Perfect for being out and about.

I was shooting in bulb mode, ISO 200, f/11 - f/16, 6 - 13 seconds with an ND3 filter. Naturally I was using a tripod.

We had fireworks being released from over 20 of the city buildings. Within the first 30 seconds, I realised that this was not going to the best direction for a widespread set of sparklers.

Let's just turn things around by about 180 degrees.

ISO 200, f/11, 6 seconds

ISO 200, f/16, 4 seconds

ISO 200, f/16, 9 seconds

ISO 200, f/16, 4 seconds

ISO 200, f/16, 9 seconds

ISO 200, f/10, 5 seconds

Hope 2014 is a great one for everyone!

princess::upsidedow

Since I wont be around any fireworks tonight here are some I took through 2013. Enjoy and Happy New Year Everyone

All taken with my Sony A55 and most with my Tamron 17-50mm and an ND filter

One of my favorite firework shots that I have taken to date. Back in Feb of this year while at the Magic Kingdom.

3 second exposure, ISO 100, 17mm, F/6.3 and

Fireworks Friday by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

Set up the tripod last 4th of July and got creative with some sparklers. 30 second exposure while I walked backwards doing big circles with them in my had to create this shot. 17mm, F6.3, ISO 100

Circle of Light by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

Illuminations sshot from the Japan pavilion. 15 second exposure, ISO 100, F/14

Illuminations Friday by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

3 second exposure, ISO 100, F/11

Fireworks Friday by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

Park behind my house on 4th of July. 35 second exposure, ISO 100, 50mm, F/9

Boom by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

Another one of my creations lol. 30 second exposure, ISO 100, F8

Vortex of Light by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

One one of my favs. 7 seconds, ISO 100, F11

Wishes by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

11 seconds, F/22, ISO 100

Illuminations by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

16 seconds, ISO 100, F/22

Firework Friday by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

Now this one is pretty wild. Used the shot from up top and processed in Photoshop. Pretty much just wrapped the picture around itself to get this effect. Pretty simple process actually.

Little Wishes Planet by Mike Sperduto, on Flickr

What Im Focussed On - Fireworks for the Year

I am fortunate to live in the Southern Hemisphere for this time of year. It means that if the weatherman is kind, I could be looking at a balmy summer's night to enjoy New Years Eve celebrations. For me, this means that I am not freezing cold to capture those wonderful fireworks to ring in the New Year.

With the current temperature of 3 degrees 'F' and a forecast of 8-12 inches of snow, there will be no fireworks photography tonight. :rotfl2:

Thanks for sharing, Hockeyman. Lovely ones at WDW and I'm going to try that sparkler one. :thumbsup2

Terry - Feel free to post your 4th of July fireworks shots here when it's balmy and warm where you are.....and I'm freezing my %$@# off in Oz. popcorn::

It was my first time shooting fireworks with a ND filter (not to mention the first time shooting fireworks with my new lens and camera body!). This is from the New Year's Eve (Eve) Fantasy in the Sky fireworks at Magic Kingdom on December 30.

Nikon D7100, Tokina 11-16mm F/2.8 (thanks, Tom aka WDWFigment for the great suggestion!), and a "Cheap-O" Neutral Density Filter

Here's my favorite from the bunch -

101 s (bulb, just clicking along with the music) f/22, ISO 100

New Year's Eve at Magic Kingdom by vshingl, on Flickr

Love the light vortex, Mike!

Wish I had some New Year fireworks to share, but no go - there aren't any in my area anyway.

As I posted in the Christmas thread, I have some semi-recent fireworks from just before the preferred dates - taken the second week of December at Epcot:
original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Happy Australia Day, 26 Jan 2014

Happy Australia Day!

Australia Day, 26 January, is the anniversary of the arrival of the First Fleet of 11 convict ships from Great Britain, and the raising of the Union Jack at Sydney Cove by its commander Captain Arthur Phillip, in 1788. Aside from the obvious public holiday day and BBQs, it's a day where the handing out of Australian Honours (including Australians of the Year, Orders of Australia etc) have become the ceremonial ways to mark the day.

The tradition of having Australia Day as a national holiday on 26 January is a recent one. Not until 1935 did all the Australian states and territories use that name to mark that date. Not until 1994 did they begin to celebrate Australia Day consistently as a public holiday on that date.

For me, it has become a day in my calendar to head out and grab some shooting practice.

The fireworks at the Docklands tonight were stunning! Some of the best I've seen in a long time in Melbourne. Normally we might expect to see one or at most three barges out of the water. There were 10 on the water and it worked out to be great timing for me. I am finally trying out the 9-stop ND filter that's been in my bag for over a year.

ISO 800, f/4, 35 secs

ISO 800, f/5, 33 secs

ISO 800, f/5, 34 secs

ISO 800, f/5, 14 secs

ISO 800, f/5, 15 secs

ISO 800, f/5, 15 secs

This gives me a starting baseline. My aim this year is to master longer exposure firework shots with this filter.

princess::upsidedow

I am just get started with photography but I'm really interested in fireworks. This shot was taken right in front of Crystal Palace. It's the best of all I took. The castle isn't totally in focus though :(
ISO 100, f/8, 3 sec

MKfirework1jpg_zps03a58ebf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I am just get started with photography but I'm really interested in fireworks. This shot was taken right in front of Crystal Palace. It's the best of all I took. The castle isn't totally in focus though :(
ISO 100, f/8, 3 sec

MKfirework1jpg_zps03a58ebf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Great work; especially if you're just getting started with photography.

I'm trying to improve my fireworks shots as well. Here are a few from our December WDW trip. All were shot with a 3-stop ND filter. Also, I was having trouble with my remote, so I couldn't use the bulb setting and had to use the timer, which made coordinating the bursts a giant PITA. :headache:

_DSC7638_zps438f4d72.jpg

f/16, 10 secs, ISO 1600 (yes, I forgot to check my settings :headache: again)

_DSC7649_zps61a26087.jpg

Also f/16, 10 secs, ISO 1600

_DSC7778_zps77d9cfbb.jpg

f/14, 30 secs, ISO 200

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter