What has Disney removed that makes you the saddest?

The parade at Epcot. My kids used to interact with the CM's in the parade, if you stuck your hand out they would come over and let you touch their costumes or briefly dance with you. I have many lovely pictures of smiling, happy children.

Horizons most of all...original Journey Into the Imagination...Living Seas...Main Street Bakery...the Backlot Tour when there were actual things to see, like the Golden Girls house facade, etc.

And while I do enjoy Test Track and Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin, I still feel nostalgic for World of Motion and Flights of Wonder (or whatever it was called where Buzz is now).

I need to dig out my old tour books that had pictures from all those rides. I used to look through them for hours as a kid and relive my vacations.

For me it is 20,000 leagues under the sea. That was my favorite ride from my very first trip when I was a kid. Really wish I could ride it just one more time.

I miss the third hour of pm EMH

I miss Toontown.

I miss having the characters roaming the parks at night during EMH for walk-up impromptu meet and greets.

I miss Splash Mountain being open during pm EMH

ETA: How could I forget ..... Spectromagic and the Real Cinnamon Rolls at the good ol' Main Street Bakery.

Thank you everyone for all the wonderful comments and memories, many of them really got me thinking. So here are a few more;

1. Characters that really loved their job. I remember one character breakfast when my son was 5 and really afraid of all the characters. John Smith came over to our table and sat with my son talking to him about everything(what rides he liked, where we were staying etc). After a few minutes my son forgot to be afraid and was talking like they were long lost friends. John Smith then went over to Meko (sp? the raccoon and my sons favorite character) and brought him to the table to introduce them so my son wouldn't be afraid. Brings tears to my eyes just typing this. This college kid took 10 min. out of his day so a little boy wouldn't be afraid. That's magic!

2. All the missing entertainment at Epcot world showcase. I know some people retire (the candy lady) but hire more. How much did the talking trash can cost? You used to be able to spend a whole day watching different little shows and acts around Epcot, most are gone now.

3. The GF club level used to have watermelon chunks cut out into hidden mickey shapes, those are gone as well.

4. The comedy club and adventures club at Pleasure island. So much fun!
I could go on and on, but my point is that I don't see much if anything replacing everything that is gone. Captain EO anyone?

The parade at Epcot. My kids used to interact with the CM's in the parade, if you stuck your hand out they would come over and let you touch their costumes or briefly dance with you. I have many lovely pictures of smiling, happy children.

Tapestry of Nations and I so agree. I am sad that my children never got to see that parade. My music, the costuming the lighting - it was all just so beautiful and moving and the interaction was fantastic.

Sleepy Hollow at MK's caramel corn. Only ever had it on our first trip in 2003- and by the time I remembered they ever sold it it had gone :(

Shame, Disney popcorn is awesome.

Also the rarer characters coming out. I met Prince John and Gideon from Pinocchio on our first trip- bet you can't see them anymore!

Funny you should mention this because I was recently looking at some older pictures from one of our family trips to Disney, and I found a pic of my niece with Gideon and Foulfellow(Honest John)! And then another of her with Brer Fox! I NEVER see those characters out anymore.

I really miss the original Journey Into Imagination and Alien Encounter. I like Stitch, and I was on it once, but that was enough. Alien Encounter was truly terrifying (which is probably why they changed it) and I loved it! lol

20k Leagues...Skyway...Orange Bird walk-around character. Guess I'm trying to re-live my six-year old self.

Mickey's Toontown. That was such a fun place to meet the characters! Now they've just shoved Mickey into that random theater with the most boring wait-line ever.

Earlier today on the resorts board someone mentioned that CM are now asking guests to show proof that they are staying at the Poly before they are allowed to watch wishes from the beach. Really!! What's next? Please don't get me wrong or flame me, I love Disney and have for a long time. My husband and I honeymooned at Disney and for many years, until life got in the way we vacationed at Disney every other year, even doing a large family gathering at the GF. I returned to Disney this year with my husband for the first time in over eight years and plan on returning again in Sept. But... so much seemed to be missing and not a lot seemed added.

So to me the biggest thing changed was the loss of the beach at the GF. My family has stayed many times at the GF (main building) and when we went over this year to see our old stomping grounds I was shocked by the large ugly hotel stuck squarely on the beach. Instead of a picture perfect view from the GF balconies to the Poly you instead get to look at a large blocky building, that doesn't even look like it was thought out well. Where's the turrets and the whimsical fantasy look of the main GF building? And what happened to that glorious beach?

On a trip in early 1990's we were staying at the GF and I took my mother to V&A for dinner for her birthday and then we walked along the beach towards the Poly and sat on the little knoll that used to be there looking over the lake and back at the Grand all ablaze with lights and it was such a magical night. We watched the water parade with several other families and all these years later my mom remembers that evening. And now it's all gone. Makes me so sad. There are many other things, such as all the entertainment around Epcot's world showcase(remember the marble "statues" and the card player at the Rose and Crown) but the loss of the beach and all the memories my family had there is the worst.
Well the list goes on and on as stated above. Personally I hate the DVCs at GF and think the Poly huts ruin the history. Its all corporate greed. Its always been a business to make money but they had soul at one time and it wasn't always bottom dollar first and foremost. Yuk! Actually being 56 and remembering going there in the 70s…its like night and day. But everything changes in life. I personally love love the good ole days when..'a smoke was a smoke and grooving was grovin' to quote Mellencamp….downtown disney in 73' was beautiful, green, warm vibes, attention to evry detail, now its all just one big shopping mall with a disney theme..that attitude is spreading throughout the entire park. No riding in the monorail front? Please. No watching fireworks from beach? well yeah because they ripped out half the beach to put 2,000$ a night rooms for the folks who will pay that…
But at the end of the day its still WDW and you bring your love and family and $ and I still love it. Nothing like it once was back in the day..but nothing is here in the 21st century.
Look on the bright side..with artificial intelligence and singularity and transhumanism a few years away I'm sure time travel is not out of the question!
Take me to the Poly with a bag of cash…October 72…or 1980…yeah how bout early 80s! bring my beautiful young girlfriend too. Ya never know. I dream of that.

I do miss Spectromagic. I always thought I didn't like it as much as MSEP. Now that we have MSEP, I kind of want Spectro back.

Toontown maybe slightly. There wasnt much to do there once I wasn't a kid anymore, but still, that nostalgia.

The old Tortuga Tavern before it completely changed whenever that happens. I remember when they had really good food, now their menu is just pathetic.

HUGE MISS: Alient Encounter! AHHH I loved that ride.

Of course, like everyone else, I miss when EPCOT was alive.

So many things:

Horizons and World of Motion loved those two and would ride them over and over.

Backlot tour when studios was a real studio (it's such a shell of its former self it's sad)

Original sound effects show at MGM

Appetizers and tip on ddp

Original narration on spaceship earth

I miss the days before 'free' dining promotions and the heavy marketing of the dining plans so severely degraded, from all aspects, the dining experience throughout WDW.

I miss the many entertainment acts in Epcot that have gone by the wayside...among them, the Ziti Sisters, the Kristos, the Living Statues, Remy, Le Mime Roland, and especially Masquerade in Italy.

Tapestry of Nations, sadly gone.

Spaceship Earth, before its current iteration.

Went back a few years ago for the first time since I was a kid. The first two things that jumped out to me as missing were the Main Street arcade and 20k leagues. I looked all over Main Street for that arcade only to find out it had been shut down and the machines spread throughout the park. Oh well!

Hmmm... Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. I remember when I was younger my aunt's driveway had a lot of bumps and split in two directions, and we would joke about being on mr.toad's ride and choosing which way to drive at the last second. ;) I also miss the Skyway!

Maybe I'm not that sentimental. I enjoyed past visits but I love that Disney is changing all the time. I wish they would replace some things instead of just getting rid of them- Tapestry of Nations for example. And, like Dan mentioned, the unique acts in the World Showcase have always been fun. But I love that there are new experiences every time we go to WDW.

Also, checking wristbands at the Poly beach at busy times of year is a great idea IMO. As someone who is paying outrageous prices to stay there over July 4 despite all the construction, I don't want fireworks spots taken up by people who aren't staying there. That's not new either.:confused3

Earlier today on the resorts board someone mentioned that CM are now asking guests to show proof that they are staying at the Poly before they are allowed to watch wishes from the beach. Really!! What's next? Please don't get me wrong or flame me, I love Disney and have for a long time. My husband and I honeymooned at Disney and for many years, until life got in the way we vacationed at Disney every other year, even doing a large family gathering at the GF. I returned to Disney this year with my husband for the first time in over eight years and plan on returning again in Sept. But... so much seemed to be missing and not a lot seemed added.

So to me the biggest thing changed was the loss of the beach at the GF. My family has stayed many times at the GF (main building) and when we went over this year to see our old stomping grounds I was shocked by the large ugly hotel stuck squarely on the beach. Instead of a picture perfect view from the GF balconies to the Poly you instead get to look at a large blocky building, that doesn't even look like it was thought out well. Where's the turrets and the whimsical fantasy look of the main GF building? And what happened to that glorious beach?

On a trip in early 1990's we were staying at the GF and I took my mother to V&A for dinner for her birthday and then we walked along the beach towards the Poly and sat on the little knoll that used to be there looking over the lake and back at the Grand all ablaze with lights and it was such a magical night. We watched the water parade with several other families and all these years later my mom remembers that evening. And now it's all gone. Makes me so sad. There are many other things, such as all the entertainment around Epcot's world showcase(remember the marble "statues" and the card player at the Rose and Crown) but the loss of the beach and all the memories my family had there is the worst.

I read somewhere (gad don't you love statements like that, lol)....but I want to see the fireworks and the water show so did read all I could find on DIS....and read that the reason for this limit is the construction going on....that GF still allows you to sit and watch from their beach. So, I'm hoping that means this is only temporary.....and therefore put off doing it this visit and will try again in October when we come again. Still thinking of trying it at GF this week, but it's a full week so probably not.

I wish they would replace some things instead of just getting rid of them- Tapestry of Nations for example.

If I had to guess I would say there will never be another parade in World Showcase. Great parade, but traffic nightmare because it was impossible to cross or pass the parade route. There's penalties for missing ADRs now.

As for the Polynesian, the available space is limited by the construction and no doubt they want to reserve it for guests who have paid to stay there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter