What happened to the observation deck on top of the Contemporary?

It's an award winning restaurant that commands a $150+ price tag for dinner for two. It is absolutely not expected that you'll be disrupted by looky-loo's while dining at an establishment like that. Obviously the CG management realizes that it had become quite a problem, and they took steps to make the dining experience free from unneccesary people being there, therefore more pleasant for those actually dining there by restricting access to the 15th floor.

I'm not disputing the fact that its an expensive award winning restaurant, and that the atmosphere around fireworks time does not fit with such. My point was that you and I are both fairly local, and have probably dined at CG many times between the two of us, and therefore know going into it that it will be a loud busy atmosphere. If I want a quiet dinner, I go to Citrico's or Narcoossee's. Yet, when I want a great meal, with a fantastic view, I go to CG, but I dont go into it expecting a quiet, refined atmopshere because that location never has, nor will ever be such....

I'm not disputing the fact that its an expensive award winning restaurant, and that the atmosphere around fireworks time does not fit with such. My point was that you and I are both fairly local, and have probably dined at CG many times between the two of us, and therefore know going into it that it will be a loud busy atmosphere. If I want a quiet dinner, I go to Citrico's or Narcoossee's. Yet, when I want a great meal, with a fantastic view, I go to CG, but I dont go into it expecting a quiet, refined atmopshere because that location never has, nor will ever be such....

It's not quiet or refined, I'll give you that. But it sure is a lot more pleasant now that they restrict access so the place doesn't get overcrowded with people standing next to your table to watch the fireworks. And I hardly consider Narcooses a place for a quiet meal--it's as noisy there as it is at the California Grill.

My family and I have had wonderful dinners at the CG during our stays. :woohoo:....So I must ask....did we forget that even though we are dining at an award winning restaurant :snooty: we are still in WALT DISNEY WORLD where children come to live out their fanaties and adults come to be kids again. :yay: We keep losing the vision of why Walt :worship: created it in the first place. :upsidedow

I think you can still get up there(without an ADR for CG) if you take the stairs.:faint:

My family and I have had wonderful dinners at the CG during our stays. :woohoo:....So I must ask....did we forget that even though we are dining at an award winning restaurant :snooty: we are still in WALT DISNEY WORLD where children come to live out their fanaties and adults come to be kids again. :yay: We keep losing the vision of why Walt :worship: created it in the first place. :upsidedow

I'm not sure what you are saying. The complaint had nothing to do with kids, it had to do with the number of people who would come up to the 15th floor, crowd in among the tables, create mayhem, and leave after the fireworks without eating there, disrupting those who were eating there.

Walt wanted a place where people could have fun, not where people could act like animals in a stampede, which unfortunately is what was happening before the new rules went into effect.

Can I just hop on and question why it's seemingly impossible for a couple to eat here for $100? :confused3 Not everyone can eat a full three course meal. Me, I'm happy with sushi and flatbread.

Can I just hop on and question why it's seemingly impossible for a couple to eat here for $100? :confused3 Not everyone can eat a full three course meal. Me, I'm happy with sushi and flatbread.

If you only want to order a couple of appetizers each and drink soda, then sure you could do it for under $100 for two people. But I think most people who dine there order an entree and at least an appetizer or dessert. Add in their award winning wine list and most people also order some alcohol--we enjoy wine with dinner, and that adds up quickly. Not trying to be snarky by any means, but I think you are the exception to the rule.

At any rate, the larger checks and smaller checks balance each other out and our experience has always been in the $150 range (including tax and tip) for two adults.

We had the best meal at WDW at the Cali Grill in September. I am glad they implemented the new policy. There were only 1 or 2 other families/couples who went outside to view the fireworks, and it was magical. I can imagine it being totally opposite if everyone was allowed up there. :goodvibes
Personally, I would not like someone walking round to check out the restaurant whilst I was having dinner.:sad2:

I agree completely. It's one thing if someone steps in front of you while you're watching the fireworks from Main Street...quite another when you've paid a lot of money to enjoy a great meal and have people streaming through the restaurant--even politely--it doesn't do much for the atmosphere.

A crowded atmosphere is and has always been standard operating procedure at CG, especially during fireworks. Anyone who remembers when it was originally a bar knows that. Given the view and the semi-attraction that it is, its to be expected so I go into any meal at CG with these expectations. I would advise others to do the same, so there is no disappointment or frustration when the "obnoxious" people come to watch the fireworks....

I'm confused about your comment about CG originally being a bar? To my memory it opened as a full service restaurant. Granted there used to be more seating in the lounge area.

Anyone else remember when CG served lunch the first year or so it was open? We loved going there after a busy am in the MK.

Going for the 1st time next trip.

If you don't get lucky enough to get a window seat.... do folks get up in the middle of their meal and walk outside for a half hour?

If fireworks are at 8:00 how would you plan it? Timing?

How big is the outside deck, plenty of room for everybody without a window seat and folks coming back from earlier meals?

I hate to add to the chaos of this thread, but I have a related question.
You would think that staying at the CR almost my entire life that I would know this answer, but I guess most of the stays were from child to early twenties, so I wasn't paying attention to this detail. I recall as a kid going up to the observation deck, never remembering how in fact we got there. We definitely ate at the restaurant a number of times, I remember dressing up a number of years in my "Don Johnson" Miami vice suit :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

I have my own family now and we have stayed at the CR twice in the 2000's (hopefully again). On our last trip, all of the Adults (My dad, mom, wife, brother, sister, BIL, SIL) ate at the CG. Towards the end of our dinner, it was time for the fireworks. We went out on the deck and watched wishes. Well it started to rain a bit, and there was a fair bit of wind that night, so my wife suggested we go back indoors and watch behind the glass. Well, as you could imagine, it was full indoors. We were ready to go back out, and noticed a somewhat empty room with a few fireworks onlookers as you approached the windows from the restaurant. We started to walk in to stand a watch and were promptly shunned by someone that it was private. We of course obliged, not knowing if this was off limits and went back outside. We enjoyed the rest of the show from the deck, and it brought back many memories for me (curiously minus seagulls that I remember vividly). Does anyone know what that particular room is for? Is indeed private?:confused3

We were ready to go back out, and noticed a somewhat empty room with a few fireworks onlookers as you approached the windows from the restaurant. We started to walk in to stand a watch and were promptly shunned by someone that it was private. We of course obliged, not knowing if this was off limits and went back outside. We enjoyed the rest of the show from the deck, and it brought back many memories for me (curiously minus seagulls that I remember vividly). Does anyone know what that particular room is for? Is indeed private?:confused3

I think that is considered the wine room. It can be booked for special occasions like parties, receptions, or rehearsal dinners, and then of course it is private. On nights that nothing is booked, it is just extra seating for the "regular" restaurant patrons.

I hate to add to the chaos of this thread, but I have a related question.
You would think that staying at the CR almost my entire life that I would know this answer, but I guess most of the stays were from child to early twenties, so I wasn't paying attention to this detail. I recall as a kid going up to the observation deck, never remembering how in fact we got there. We definitely ate at the restaurant a number of times, I remember dressing up a number of years in my "Don Johnson" Miami vice suit :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

I have my own family now and we have stayed at the CR twice in the 2000's (hopefully again). On our last trip, all of the Adults (My dad, mom, wife, brother, sister, BIL, SIL) ate at the CG. Towards the end of our dinner, it was time for the fireworks. We went out on the deck and watched wishes. Well it started to rain a bit, and there was a fair bit of wind that night, so my wife suggested we go back indoors and watch behind the glass. Well, as you could imagine, it was full indoors. We were ready to go back out, and noticed a somewhat empty room with a few fireworks onlookers as you approached the windows from the restaurant. We started to walk in to stand a watch and were promptly shunned by someone that it was private. We of course obliged, not knowing if this was off limits and went back outside. We enjoyed the rest of the show from the deck, and it brought back many memories for me (curiously minus seagulls that I remember vividly). Does anyone know what that particular room is for? Is indeed private?:confused3

That is a private room that can be reserved....forget the name.

What is called the Wine Room on the DIS and understood by the folks at CG is on the other side of the restaurant. You can request seating there but can't see Wishes from it. There is another outside deck on that side as well.

As someone noted early in the thread, there is an observation deck on the 4th floor that anyone can go out on.

Markstudy, people do leave their tables to go outsdie for Wishes. It's not 30 minutes long though and the servers try to time the courses accordingly.

Going for the 1st time next trip.

If you don't get lucky enough to get a window seat.... do folks get up in the middle of their meal and walk outside for a half hour?

If fireworks are at 8:00 how would you plan it? Timing?

How big is the outside deck, plenty of room for everybody without a window seat and folks coming back from earlier meals?

Some do, some don't. You can still see the fireworks from many of the tables, even if you don't have a window seat. And if you are seated on the south side of the building, you'll have a nice view of Illuminations. :thumbsup2 THere is plenty of room on the outside deck for those who would rather go out there to see the fireworks. Enjoy your meal!

Thanks for all of this information.....we are dining here next month. A question though, do you HAVE to go out on the observation deck to see the fireworks......do they NOT pipe the music in?

Thanks.

No, you don't have to go out to see Wishes. No forced march.:goodvibes

We usually don't go out. We like Wishes better from the MK or the Polynesian and go to CG for the dining experience including the gorgeous view during daylight and sunset.

As best I recall, the music is no longer piped in.

No, you don't have to go out to see Wishes. No forced march.:goodvibes

We usually don't go out. We like Wishes better from the MK or the Polynesian and go to CG for the dining experience including the gorgeous view during daylight and sunset.

As best I recall, the music is no longer piped in.

Oh no...I never even thought that the music wasn't piped in. I think I would have made our reservation a lot earlier ... We have been out on the 4th floor observation deck and honestly I dont know what all the fuss is about. It was not as close to the show as I thought. It is MUCH better in the Magic Kingdom......how is the view of the fireworks on the top floor compare....

Oh boy.....a kink in the works.....I dont know that we want a 9:00 dinner just for 10:00 fireworks that we can hardly see and not have the music to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter