What flea meds do you use for your dogs?

I hated the idea too. I used topical for years and though it shouldn't have been an issue being in a very manicured suburban area. Then we had an ordeal where my dog had probably 100+ ticks. We had to have the inside treated (our ticks don't have a lot of disease but can establish indoors). Every morning there were about a dozen where she slept. They told us she most likely stepped in a nest. It was seriously awful.

Our vet told us that the ticks are in the mulch and not so much the manicured grass. The mulch around community planting gets replaced often. While it was a bit of a freak accident,I'm sure, we switched to the collar because it's better at killing the ticks and I read the pesticides weren't as harmful. Plus my dog gets a bath every week so the topical was likely weakened.

We haven't had any problems with it rubbing off on our furniture or anything (though it could be slowly attacking me and I don't know lol).

I think you definitely has to do what makes the most sense for you situation :)

Yeah often they come with the new mulch. My sister had hers replaced and her dog became infested with fleas although he was on preventatives. It was a total pain to get that controlled back to normal. Thankfully we don't live close enough to any of the community mulch because they do use the regular mulch and ticks are endemic in this area (yuck!). One of our dogs has ehrlichiosis when we rescue him he had well over 100 ticks on him :guilty:, thankfully after a round of treatment he has never had any symptoms knock on wood!

If you used Frontline Plus in the past and your dogs didn't suffer any reactions to it. I would continue to use it and look for lower prices on the internet. I live in the Northeast where ticks and fleas are numerous and Frontline still works great. I used other tick and Flea meds but my dogs suffered from reactions from them.

Sentinal. My vet warned me to stay away from Trifexis, he won't even sell it! Said it was making too many dogs sick and he wanted no part of it.

My dog got fleas on frontline- the vet told me in my area of SE Pa they're seeing a lot of resistance to the frontline from fleas.

We switched to bravecto- it's expensive but better than my dog chewing all the fur off her tail for a month. Also easier to remember to give- were only doing 3 times a year as there's not much flea activity here in the winter. Also I like that there are no topical pesticides in my house with my son who likes to use the dog as a pillow while watching tv.

I'm having such a hard time. My vet is recommending Nexguard but for a year for both of our dogs it is about $400!

There are less expensive options such as advantage and frontline plus (which we have used in the past) but she says they aren't really effective anymore.

I just don't know what to do. I want something that works but goodness, $400 per year! There are too many choices.

What do you use? And where do you buy it?
I used Frono

I'm having such a hard time. My vet is recommending Nexguard but for a year for both of our dogs it is about $400!

There are less expensive options such as advantage and frontline plus (which we have used in the past) but she says they aren't really effective anymore.

I just don't know what to do. I want something that works but goodness, $400 per year! There are too many choices.

What do you use? And where do you buy it?

We've been fortunate to never have our pets get fleas (and we are older) until this past summer. We did the flea shampoo bath, washing everything of the dogs' bedding, blankets, etc. and the drops on the back of the neck once a month & it did NOTHING to remedy the problem. Every day I was scanning my dogs & every day I was picking off a couple fleas on each of them. This went on 3-4 months and nothing changed. Then we called the vet to get a medication in pill form. We got Comfortis. Each pill was $15 and they were good for 30 days. Oh man was this a miracle drug. Within a few days the problem was completely gone. Not another flea to be found. It's well worth the monthly price too

I've used Frontline Plus, Bravecto, and Nexguard on my English Bulldog. I actually found Bravecto to be cheaper than Nexguard, so I switched. However, for me I dislike remembering the Bravecto every 90 days, when I still have to do Interceptor every month. I am back with Nexguard. Although I don't like that either, due to cost and don't think she likes it. She also gets suspicious with either Bravecto or Nexguard and doesn't like to take them. Frontline was a huge problem for us, as my girl hated it. She'd go run and hide if I so much as got the Frontline tube out and cracked the tube to open it. Even if I didn't say anything, she knew what the tube was. I think it irritated her, and she'd rub the wall and couch with her back after application as if trying to get it off, and she was very annoyed. I'm considering K9 Advantix but in the meantime, use Nexguard.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter