What film were you WAY too young to watch?

This is something I still don't get- but my dad and I actually saw Robocop in the theater. That was definitely an R movie, and I wasn't even in my teens yet. Some theaters didn't care I guess.

If you were with a parent the theater likely did not care. There was never a law or anything that required a certain age to see movies, it was just optional for theaters to enforce via their policy. The whole MPAA ratings idea was so that the government wouldn't step in and enforce things. Most theaters enforced 17 to see an R rated movie unless accompanied by a parent, in which case it didn't matter. Later some theaters started to enforce that nobody under 13 was to be let into an R rated movie, parent or not. PG-13 may have also required a parent under 13, but I don't remember it being an issue. All that said, I was literally only turned away from one R rated film that I tried to see - Demolition Man. My mom dropped us off to see it, she just didn't go to buy the tickets.

LOVE STORY
I was only in grade school-bawled my eyes out.
Romeo and Juliet- as a kid the ending was really too much
My parents always took me to the movies, so yes there were some I probably was too young for the content.

If you were with a parent the theater likely did not care. There was never a law or anything that required a certain age to see movies, it was just optional for theaters to enforce via their policy. The whole MPAA ratings idea was so that the government wouldn't step in and enforce things. Most theaters enforced 17 to see an R rated movie unless accompanied by a parent, in which case it didn't matter. Later some theaters started to enforce that nobody under 13 was to be let into an R rated movie, parent or not. PG-13 may have also required a parent under 13, but I don't remember it being an issue. All that said, I was literally only turned away from one R rated film that I tried to see - Demolition Man. My mom dropped us off to see it, she just didn't go to buy the tickets.
The theater spared you from those Stallone one-liners and comedic musings about utopian life in the future. And still we wonder what the sea shells are for!

The theater spared you from those Stallone one-liners and comedic musings about utopian life in the future. And still we wonder what the sea shells are for!

Oh, I saw it later. Great flick!

You mean, you don't know how to use the three seashells? 😜

The Amityville Horror. To this day I will not look out of a totally dark window because of the two red eyes, and my sister (who watched it with me and is three years younger than me so she was *really* little) will not watch any scary movie to this day. And when I go past houses with those distinctive windows I always think, 'I would *never* live there'.

I think I saw Blazing Saddles once in the late 70s. It was at a movie theater that showed a combination of late first fun movies and older movies.

Poltergeist for me as well. I don't remember what age I was, but thinking under 10. For some reason my dad let me watch it. Which is hilarious because normally he was the super strict one. Lets just say he spent many MANY nights after that having to check my closet and under the bed before I would go to sleep.

I saw Night of the Living Dead when I was a kid and it really made me sleep poorly for a long time.

Parents took me to theater at 8 or 9 to see Coming to America. I still love that movie, but won’t let my 15 year old see it now.

Father took me to the theater to see Starship Troopers at age 13, based that decision on the ads stating it was "as good as Star Wars"

He legitimately had a good time describing the shower scene to my mother....but I'll leave that one private :earboy2:

Father took me to the theater to see Starship Troopers at age 13, based that decision on the ads stating it was "as good as Star Wars"

He legitimately had a good time describing the shower scene to my mother....but I'll leave that one private :earboy2:

Anotehr Paul Verhoeven classic! Would you like to know more?

Last edited:
Wouldn't have been bad but I was 13 when something about Mary came out and I went to see it with my MOM. Mistakes were made...

I had a tv in my room as a kid, and somehow HBO bled in. I saw way too many scary or explicit movies before I should have 😜

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter