What does your commute look like?

I have a 4 mi commute. During the school year it takes me 15-30 min depending on what time I leave the house. When school is out it takes 10 min or less. To get home it depends on what time I leave work. It can take me again anywhere between 10 - 30 min to go 4 miles.

I have a pretty easy commute. I have a 7 minute walk to the train, 25 minute train ride and a 15 minute walk to the office. It averages 45-50 minutes door to door each way.

I have a 30 mile drive each way, half highway and half back roads. It usually takes about 45 minutes to an hour each way depending on traffic.

4 days a week - about 25 steps. 20 seconds total from my bedroom to my office. i work from home the majority of the time.

1 day a week - about 25 minutes if I leave early (around 6am) and stay late (6pm), which I almost always do. If I go in with the commonfolk (lol), it would be about 45 minutes in the morning and over an hour in the afternoon. Even one day of this commute is enough - I always dread my office day.

Commuting time is important to me, so I've always tried to live within less than a 30 min drive of my work. 15-20 min seems reasonable to me, anything over 30 and I feel like I am wasting my day away in the car.

I love the energy of downtown Chicago and very occasionally I will have to be down there on a weekday and get to see the flow of the commuters. That makes me wish I lived there or commuted there too...then I remember how much I hate wasting my time GETTING to and from work and contentedly stay in the suburbs lol

Last edited:
In my adult life I've had commutes that were as short as 5 minutes each way and as long as 1.5 hours each way.

My current commute is 30 minutes going to work and up to 45 minutes returning home. Traffic is manageable. The carpool lane is a joke as it is NOT enforced. Plenty of accidents daily as many don;t believe in using turn signals, looking before changing lanes, are on their phones, and weave at fast speeds in and out of traffic.

I walk downstairs and sit in front of my computer. I have worked from home for almost two years now. It is only problematic every fourth Monday when the house keepers come. I head to Starbucks for a few hours and work from there those days.

20 minutes from locking my front door to clocking in (about 15 minutes of actual driving but it takes me 2-3 minutes to get up to the 6th floor from the garage)
2/3 of that is on city streets and 1/3 on the highway

My drive right now varies depending on the day - partially because I carpool with another family dropping off my younger son at school. The days I drop off, it's 25 miles to work from school, which takes between 35 minutes to more than an hour. On days when I don't take in, it's 19 miles, taking more like 25-40 minutes typically.

Summer is totally different, usually lighted traffic (and, obviously, no kids to drop off at school). And next year my youngest starts high school, which is actually on my way to work. :)

Hour and a half in the morning, two hours in the afternoon.

Drive to the train, train to the bus, bus to work. Downtown Chicago. Been doing it for 10 years now.

Life goal now the kids are out of the house is to move closer to the city.

It'll take me an hour to go the 15 miles home. One of the biggest reasons why I hate living in FL.

My commute for the last 5 years has 15 minute drive to the train, 1 hour and 15 minutes on the train and 10 minute walk to the office Monday - Thursday. So far it has not bothered me.

The absolute biggest thing to adapt to when moving to the DC area has been the traffic. It takes my DH about 40 min in the AM and 40-60 min to get home in the afternoon. Weather or an accident will always extend those times. My husband parks at a commuter lot and then has the option of the bus or slugging, which he usually chooses. If you have never heard of slugging, I recommend you google DC slugging. It is fascinating. I always describe it as legalized, organized hitchhiking.

Until 2 months ago, I was driving 120 miles RT to work. Luckily, it was opposite of the traffic so it usually only took about 1-1.5 hours.

I now work 2 miles from home so it's about a 5 minute drive!

I've taught at the same school for 22 years. It is my neighborhood school and about 0.5 mile from my house. Only 2 stop signs and no lights between me and work. Plus I can park about 20 steps from my classroom. I literally go from standing in my kitchen to standing in my classroom in 5 minutes. I'm spoiled by this and all who spend over an hour twice a day have my respect.

I live 11 miles from downtown.
I drive 2 miles to parking garage, park, walk across the street take elevated public transport (the L), L lets me off in my building at work. One hour - door to door.

I can drive this at non-rush hour (if there even is a thing like that in Chicago) in maybe 23 minutes.

I am about 1.5 miles from the office. Takes me about 6-8 minutes (depends how long I stop at the lights), I work off hours from most (6-2:30), but when I worked more normal hours, it was basically the same since it is so close. I love it! I also have the option to go full time telecommunte, but being so close, I like to go in the office and be able to see people.

3 minute drive, 15 minute bike ride or a 25 minute walk depending on which method I choose.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter