What do you think school will be like in the fall? UPDATE page 29 for Mass.

That is one of the options our schools are looking at. The class would be held in the classroom with some in the classroom and the rest at home life streaming it via zoom. (There was also an option for actual homeschooling). Ballet will be doing it the same, with some in the studio and the others zooming in from home.

For privacy issues this one is going to be hard to do unless they change the current rules. We weren't even allowed to record our live zoom sessions if any student was shown or spoke due to privacy concerns.

I completely agree with you. Every student was affected. I hoped that those who believe canceling in person school is such a simple concept, would better understand the legal ramifications of that decision. They seem unaffected by other appeals. Every child with an IEP deserves the education they were promised. It is a legal binding document.

Our schools need to be open. Your area‘s example is proof. School is about a lot more than education for many children who live in poverty and/or come from dangerous home environments. Those children are not lucky enough to have the option to school from home safely.
I mean, the way the district by us decided to handle the threaten of lawsuits parents of kids other IEPs was to effectively cancel the school year entirely. The way they were advised was that if they couldn’t fulfill the IEPs, they couldn’t make anything mandatory. In a crude translation- the best way to provide equivalent education to those with IEPs was to not provide any education to anyone. So they just offered nothing for a month. Teachers were forbidden from sending out anything in case the parents thought it was mandatory work.

After a month the district released optional review packets and allowed students to re-do previous work to try to bring their grades up. But no new assignments, and nothing mandatory.

The district is currently trying to figure out what to do in August when the kids are supposed to go back. Even then they’re not out of the woods. If a student with an IEP tests positive for coronavirus and is made homebound while the rest of the school is open, they’ll have to figure out how that affects their obligation to provide education.

What does this mean? Most epidemiologists believe the virus will weaken as it spreads. Do you not agree?

That means the rate of deaths and rate of cases with serious illness is less than assumed! The virus was circulating through schools and the US since at least Christmas. Did the sky fall?

A new normal means we live with the virus, we don't hide from it.

This level of misinformation is hazardous.
You really have to stop.

I completely agree with you. Every student was affected. I hoped that those who believe canceling in person school is such a simple concept, would better understand the legal ramifications of that decision. They seem unaffected by other appeals. Every child with an IEP deserves the education they were promised. It is a legal binding document.

Our schools need to be open. Your area‘s example is proof. School is about a lot more than education for many children who live in poverty and/or come from dangerous home environments. Those children are not lucky enough to have the option to school from home safely.

There’s no disagreement from what I read, including myself, about reopening. The disagreement is with those suggesting that there needs no modification because they argue it will be inconvenient or infeasible (without actually having tried).
We are at a time where EVERYONE will have to make sacrifices to their daily routine for a better whole.

What does this mean? Most epidemiologists believe the virus will weaken as it spreads. Do you not agree?

That means the rate of deaths and rate of cases with serious illness is less than assumed! The virus was circulating through schools and the US since at least Christmas. Did the sky fall?

A new normal means we live with the virus, we don't hide from it.

Look at Arizona. They are having a surge in cases and hospitals have been asked to fully activate their emergency plans. ICU beds and ventilators will be at capacity by July. "Joe Gerald, program director for public health policy and management at the University of Arizona’s Zuckerman College of Public Health, told KPNX that the state’s case trajectory could pressure hospital capacity again."

Utah and North Carolina are also seeing large spikes. "North Carolina saw its highest single-day increase in cases on June 6, with 1,370 new diagnoses confirmed ."

Where have you seen the official report that the virus began circulating in December in the US? The only thing I can find is the CDC said January of this year. My co-workers who all thought they had COVID in December, January, and February have all tested negative for the antibodies. All are teachers who rarely get sick because we're around germs all the time and have built up immunities. Because their symptoms mirrored those of COVID, they decided to get the antibody test. They were all highly bummed about the results.

COVID has hit my school community incredibly hard the last month and several of our students and their families have suffered greatly. We now have 12 students who have lost parents or guardians in our school of around 600. Two students lost both of their grandparents who were their legal guardians.

COVID 19 is still out there and still strong. Its rearing its ugly head in places like Arizona and North Carolina where they opened up earlier than other states. Herd immunity is not a thing with this at this time. Schools need to have multiple plans in place. In-person learning is what we all want but we may be disappointed.

As a teacher, I will tell you distance learning in my rural and poor area was a joke. Out of 18 kids, only 5 did what they were supposed to do. The others did maybe one or two things a week. I had to really stretch to give them grades. Weekly Zoom meetings to teach new content? Despite trying different times and days, the most I had was 6 kids.

We go back August 13 and I would nearly bet my entire salary for the year that it will be in the classroom with "increased cleaning." Which after working for 16 years in public education could be termed as "here kid, wipe the table down with this and then wash your hands." Lunch in the classrooms? Um, does the teacher not to get their 30 minute break? We do! Great! Except most school personnel are teachers.

Hybrid Learning?- Parents still need childcare (including me!)

How many of the people making recommendations have ever been in a classroom? I would guess none or very few. We teachers are almost never asked for our input.

School is a shared experience we all go through as children but what you experienced as a child is vastly different then the reality of working there.

I mean, the way the district by us decided to handle the threaten of lawsuits parents of kids other IEPs was to effectively cancel the school year entirely. The way they were advised was that if they couldn’t fulfill the IEPs, they couldn’t make anything mandatory. In a crude translation- the best way to provide equivalent education to those with IEPs was to not provide any education to anyone. So they just offered nothing for a month. Teachers were forbidden from sending out anything in case the parents thought it was mandatory work.

After a month the district released optional review packets and allowed students to re-do previous work to try to bring their grades up. But no new assignments, and nothing mandatory.

The district is currently trying to figure out what to do in August when the kids are supposed to go back. Even then they’re not out of the woods. If a student with an IEP tests positive for coronavirus and is made homebound while the rest of the school is open, they’ll have to figure out how that affects their obligation to provide education.
I am speechless. What a difficult situation for everyone. I am so sorry for your community that inaction seemed to be the best path forward. I knew there were school districts who cancelled distance learning early in the process. I had not heard of any districts who didn’t even try.
There’s no disagreement from what I read, including myself, about reopening. The disagreement is with those suggesting that there needs no modification because they argue it will be inconvenient or infeasible (without actually having tried). We are at a time where EVERYONE will have to make sacrifices to their daily routine for a better whole.
At risk children have already sacrificed. Children with severe learning and physical differences have already sacrificed. Families of those children who have severe physical and learning differences have already sacrificed. Families in poverty have already sacrificed. The needs of these children and their families go beyond inconveniences of daily routines. I am not sure what else to say on this matter, but there are many for whom the risks of COVID-19 are minuscule compared to the clear and present dangers of staying home from school.

As a teacher, I will tell you distance learning in my rural and poor area was a joke. Out of 18 kids, only 5 did what they were supposed to do. The others did maybe one or two things a week. I had to really stretch to give them grades. Weekly Zoom meetings to teach new content? Despite trying different times and days, the most I had was 6 kids.

We go back August 13 and I would nearly bet my entire salary for the year that it will be in the classroom with "increased cleaning." Which after working for 16 years in public education could be termed as "here kid, wipe the table down with this and then wash your hands." Lunch in the classrooms? Um, does the teacher not to get their 30 minute break? We do! Great! Except most school personnel are teachers.

Hybrid Learning?- Parents still need childcare (including me!)

How many of the people making recommendations have ever been in a classroom? I would guess none or very few. We teachers are almost never asked for our input.

School is a shared experience we all go through as children but what you experienced as a child is vastly different then the reality of working there.

In my area schools have been closed and while it has been a decent experience for some, for others it has been an unmitigated disaster. Older kids charged with child care duty because parents are essential workers, others whose parents either cannot or will not monitor attendance and school work, and still others who have managed to sign in and stay online all day. We cared for the two youngsters up our street until Mom was allowed to work from home, and holy cow! My husband was in way over his head in terms of school work, and discipline, I was only home a few days to assist, and it is clear to me that teachers are teachers for a reason, and Nana's, Grandpa's and assorted other caregivers are charged with other responsibilities for good reason as well.

I have no idea how our school system will handle Fall in the event there is another severe outbreak, but no one is looking forward to that prospect, all of us hoping for a miracle.I have heard that already surveys are out for parents to give some input in terms of who is set up for online learning should that need arise, and who would need more support. I do think that the schools will open with some accommodations in place, and districts will watch how the college and university systems in the area that start about 2 weeks earlier than us fare. While the logistics of that system differ from the K thru 12, they face many of the same challenges in terms of classroom and teachers changing throughout the day as well as limited classroom space, and assistance that is provided to students.

Actually, one really good thing that has come from this is a lot of people are now given a lot more flexibility to work from home. The company I work for has no real plan to modify the office so we can return - we work from home until the pandemic is over. That's great! One of my biggest complaints as a parent has been, if my kids get sick, I have to take a day off. My PTO subsequently has always been near zero and I am very careful to budget when and how long I am off on vacation. If I can work from home and care for a sick kid, well, that solves two problems. I don't have to take the time off and I'm nowhere near as likely to send my kids to school if they are not feeling well.

I've been home since mid-March and have had my neighbor's kindergartener. I've found it incredibly difficult to do both my job and the on-line learning. As a result I'm usually up and at my computer by about 5 am to get a jump on my work. I then need to break to do school with her around 8 am. Depending on the day I can still be working at 8:30 - 9 pm so that I can get all of my work done. I just don't know how parents with young children are giving both their children and their employers their best work without working crazy hours. I know I was very happy when school ended last week and I could get myself back on a normal schedule. We've already let the neighbors know that if school is going to be on-line in the fall they'll need to make different arrangements. I can't do it anymore. We were happy to help out when it happened so quickly with no notice, but now they have three months to make a plan.

We have four kids that span two school districts, we don't have a high school do our oldest gets bused to the next town over. Both districts emailed surveys looking for feedback (or rather affirmation) about their possible plans for fall. Both surveys contained hybrid learning plans. They ranged from 2 days a week in class with 3 days online to one week in class followed by the next online. What they have not addressed is if families will receive technology. Our high schooler is issued an iPad and our middle schooler issued a Chrome book as part of their curriculum. The elementary aged kids received nothing, and while my boys have older hand me down computers not all do.

I'm fine with a hybrid learning environment. It isn't ideal like returning to school, but we can make it work. What neither survey addressed was the impact that online learning will have on working parents. Neither my husband nor myself can sacrifice our jobs to educate our kids. Nor can we expect our older children to educate the younger. This spring we stopped school in early April. We just couldn't balance the demands of working from home (actually working) and trying to enforce and educate four kids. It was taking me 3 hours to coerce a stubborn 3rd grader to complete tasks that should have taken 30 minutes to one hour. Which meant I had longer days, missed deadlines, and still had to complete household chores on top of everything. It was rough. I don't know what working parents (going into work) or without childcare will do. Again, the survey didn't address that.

What has yet to be addressed is how IEPs will be met? My boys receive speech services, and we have received no communication on this. I have a feeling that they'll force our older son out of speech services as they often do for 5th grade because 5th grade is at the middle school. But our rising 4th grader is in need of continued services. This really makes me feel for friends who have children who need more services. Last I heard they weren't receiving any services during the school closures, even though their child receives year round services.

So, instead, the better thing to do is nothing??

What specific aspects of the guideline are dystopian and ultra-restrictive. I agree some things may be unreasonable. But, to call the ENTIRE guide a complete waste and not make ANY modification is reckless.

We need precautions, but we need to make them the least restrictive possible for the circumstances. Disciplining kids until you "correct" all desire to play or interact with peers out of them is not that, but it is what a lot of these reopening plans call for. Expecting kids as young as 5 to sit alone at isolated desks, potentially separated by makeshift 'walls' even from those sitting closest to them, from the time they get to school in the morning until they leave in the afternoon, isn't that. Returning to a new "core classes only" school model that offers no arts, no music, no sports isn't that.

We do need modifications. We need major changes to attendance policies and to social norms around sending kids who are "just a little sick" to school. We need longer lunch breaks so kids can actually wash their hands before they eat. We can and should do better with cleaning school facilities and promoting overall good hygiene. But the modifications we choose need to be designed with the well-being of the whole child in mind, not just virus prevention, and we cannot ignore the "invisible" costs of the dramatic changes being proposed (whether the stress and anxiety caused by returning to school in a format just as isolating as being at home, or the hunger created by the suspension of school food service and cafeteria use, or the loss of vital enrichment programs, or the inferior services rendered to special needs students when trying to administer them without close interpersonal contact).

A big part of the problem I have with the guidelines being released right now is that they're so much stricter than the guidelines being applied to society at large. Small groups can get together at a restaurant without distancing, but teachers are being told to keep their students 6' apart at all times without any group or team work. Playgrounds, parks, beaches and pools are open but schools are being told recess is too dangerous and kids shouldn't be allowed to play with one another. Malls are open, but schools can't allow students to pass one another in the hallways. I get that the impulse is almost always (well, except when it comes to guns) to protect kids at any cost but I think the guidelines we're seeing right now go so far overboard that they're creating a needlessly traumatic school experience for fall that won't be effective educationally or socially.

We need precautions, but we need to make them the least restrictive possible for the circumstances. Disciplining kids until you "correct" all desire to play or interact with peers out of them is not that, but it is what a lot of these reopening plans call for. Expecting kids as young as 5 to sit alone at isolated desks, potentially separated by makeshift 'walls' even from those sitting closest to them, from the time they get to school in the morning until they leave in the afternoon, isn't that. Returning to a new "core classes only" school model that offers no arts, no music, no sports isn't that.

We do need modifications. We need major changes to attendance policies and to social norms around sending kids who are "just a little sick" to school. We need longer lunch breaks so kids can actually wash their hands before they eat. We can and should do better with cleaning school facilities and promoting overall good hygiene. But the modifications we choose need to be designed with the well-being of the whole child in mind, not just virus prevention, and we cannot ignore the "invisible" costs of the dramatic changes being proposed (whether the stress and anxiety caused by returning to school in a format just as isolating as being at home, or the hunger created by the suspension of school food service and cafeteria use, or the loss of vital enrichment programs, or the inferior services rendered to special needs students when trying to administer them without close interpersonal contact).

A big part of the problem I have with the guidelines being released right now is that they're so much stricter than the guidelines being applied to society at large. Small groups can get together at a restaurant without distancing, but teachers are being told to keep their students 6' apart at all times without any group or team work. Playgrounds, parks, beaches and pools are open but schools are being told recess is too dangerous and kids shouldn't be allowed to play with one another. Malls are open, but schools can't allow students to pass one another in the hallways. I get that the impulse is almost always (well, except when it comes to guns) to protect kids at any cost but I think the guidelines we're seeing right now go so far overboard that they're creating a needlessly traumatic school experience for fall that won't be effective educationally or socially.

I don’t have kids so I don’t have a horse in this race, but I think you’ve hit the nail on the head and we’ve seen this divide through the whole pandemic.

There’s been one group who has been saying we have to look at everything. Yes, mitigate the virus as best we can, but other things don’t stop because there’s a virus. Furthermore, the mitigation is causing some non-virus related problems for a lot of people.

Then there’s the side that just wants to look at the virus and stop it at all costs, thinks the only voices that should be heard are medical experts and if we just stay home until cases go to zero we will have saved lives and everything else can be fixed.

I fall in the we have to look at everything camp. As just a regular person, I can’t fathom how parents are going to be able to work with continued online learning or split schedules.

These plans seem like they’re just going to further divide along socioeconomic lines. Many on these boards are lucky enough to have flexible office type jobs that will be moving more wfh even in the future. Sure, it’s hard to work and watch your kid, but what are people who work hourly jobs with no flexibility or ability to wfh do? If you’re already living paycheck to paycheck you can’t afford to all of a sudden quit your job or pay for childcare 3x/week. especially if you already have a backlog of bills or have been out of work from all this!

I have no problem with this kind of thinking (as I’ve said many times now).

My problem is with people flat out just complaining about guidelines that people spent time working on, and not putting forth ANY of their own suggestions to precautionary modifications. Instead, they suggest going back to normal as was before because even the thought process of implementing modifications is apparently too overwhelming. Then don’t get involved in education with that kind of attitude. I wouldn’t want my kids being taught by someone who gives up on tough situations.

Editing to remove an outdated link. I don't want anybody to take old information as new. My fault.

Last edited:
I am unable to find this any place else, so question it's validity but find it interesting. And if true, might make school a little bit easier, at least for the younger kids.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/worl...adults-global-study-finds/ar-BB13qi2t?ocid=sf

This article has been critiqued thoroughly since.
There’s been a lot in literature suggesting that kids are similarly capable of spreading the virus. Yes, kids have less severe reaction to the disease but that doesn’t mean they aren’t capable of passing it on.
This kind of article is as bad as people doubting vaccines.

This article has been critiqued thoroughly since.
There’s been a lot in literature suggesting that kids are similarly capable of spreading the virus. Yes, kids have less severe reaction to the disease but that doesn’t mean they aren’t capable of passing it on.
This kind of article is as bad as people doubting vaccines.
I didn't see the date on it, my bad!

I have no problem with this kind of thinking (as I’ve said many times now).

My problem is with people flat out just complaining about guidelines that people spent time working on, and not putting forth ANY of their own suggestions to precautionary modifications. Instead, they suggest going back to normal as was before because even the thought process of implementing modifications is apparently too overwhelming. Then don’t get involved in education with that kind of attitude. I wouldn’t want my kids being taught by someone who gives up on tough situations.

Well, it's not like the school districts or the state directors of education, for that matter, are soliciting suggestions from parents or even teachers. I spoke to my son's special ed teacher last week at length about this and she was frustrated that the district has essentially enacted radio silence and has STOPPED communicating with even the teachers on this matter. They don't want to hear suggestions. They want to draft a plan that ignores any input from either teachers or parents.

Well, it's not like the school districts or the state directors of education, for that matter, are soliciting suggestions from parents or even teachers. I spoke to my son's special ed teacher last week at length about this and she was frustrated that the district has essentially enacted radio silence and has STOPPED communicating with even the teachers on this matter. They don't want to hear suggestions. They want to draft a plan that ignores any input from either teachers or parents.
How sad is that? And, unfortunately, this is nothing new in a lot of places.

some are actively including. washington state has a 'reopening washington schools 20-21 workgroup' whose report and recommendations are due to be distributed this week to districts and the public. their membership includes-

"The Workgroup includes over 120 members, representative of the diversity of our state, who share expertise and knowledge from the following perspectives: • Teachers, education support professionals, school support staff, school principals, and district administrators • Appointed statutory advisory groups • Community-based organizations • Education partners • Elected officials."

oregon is also asking for input across the board as well as from parents-

"Oregon Department of Education is excepted to publish their first round of guidance some time this month. The department is currently listening to teachers, school leaders and parents across the state through multiple engagement methods. They are also hosting listening sessions."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter