What do you think of the stimulus package?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate that people like your daughter are being left out of this, it is ridiculous and so obvious what would happen given how this was set up. Are her student loans not federal? My federal loans were already set to 0% interest and all payments suspended until the end of September without me doing anything. I am just saving my payments in case we need the cash, and then if we don't dumping it back into my student loans in September.
She hasn't graduated yet (this was her final semester) so she hasn't had to make payments on them yet. But, if people are offering to pay them off for her... :rotfl2:

Not at all what I am saying.

But I do think it would be extremely unfair to forgive student loans while not considering those that paid for college and how they would be affected. Do you think that everyone that paid for college did it with ease? Without sacrifice? Only those with student loans deserve compasion?

Exactly. We saved and scrimped to pay for our kids to go to college. I watch people around me spend money flagrantly and "complain" about student debt. We also sent our kids to (relatively) inexpensive state schools vs. (spendy) "private" or "big name" colleges. Again, I listen to them complain about student debt. I'm gonna be royally pissed if suddenly their debt is erased while I get absolutely nothing from the sacrifices we made to make it happen without debt. Makes no sense whatsoever. The level of debt people took on is often a CHOICE they've made. I'll also note that I'm as "liberal" as they come, and this is one suggestion that completely angers me. There HAS to be some sort of "fairness" aspect put on this proposal. Period.

I've helped many people over the years as well. I pay my taxes. That pays for all the welfare programs, stimulus packages, medicares, and everything else the government does for the needy. I also pay my enormous health insurance bill every month that wasn't enormous until someone decided that the poor and needy and people who know how to game the system should get free healthcare. My health insurance each month is more than my mortgage and car payment combined. And for that, I get to wait 6 months to get into a doctor because they are overwhelmed with medicare clients who don't pay a dime out of pocket. So now you want to give free college and forgive people's college loans to people and make me pay for that too? You want me to pay for people's rent, credit card bills and other bills?(And before the smart aleck replies, that's a collective me.) No. Just no. They made their choices. They chose to go to college. They chose to buy that Playstation and HD TV that they couldn't afford. This is just another byproduct of the "no personal accountability" society people are building. You want to help the poor and needy, by all means do so. Find a random person online complaining about their student loan and send them a check. Drive around a poor neighborhood and hand cash out. Call up your deadbeat friend who can't stay sober enough to keep a job and pay his rent for a few months. But don't force the people who are out there doing the right thing, paying their bills, not overspending, and still struggling to stay ahead to pay more than they already are. I get there are people out there that have just got a raw deal. Things went wrong that were outside their control and now they are struggling. But choosing a major in college that is in a field that could never pay the bills, buying a house way outside your budget, having 8 kids, or running up 20k in credit card debt because you can't stay off amazon, are not things outside your control

I've helped many people over the years as well. I pay my taxes. That pays for all the welfare programs, stimulus packages, medicares, and everything else the government does for the needy. I also pay my enormous health insurance bill every month that wasn't enormous until someone decided that the poor and needy and people who know how to game the system should get free healthcare. My health insurance each month is more than my mortgage and car payment combined. And for that, I get to wait 6 months to get into a doctor because they are overwhelmed with medicare clients who don't pay a dime out of pocket. So now you want to give free college and forgive people's college loans to people and make me pay for that too? You want me to pay for people's rent, credit card bills and other bills?(And before the smart aleck replies, that's a collective me.) No. Just no. They made their choices. They chose to go to college. They chose to buy that Playstation and HD TV that they couldn't afford. This is just another byproduct of the "no personal accountability" society people are building. You want to help the poor and needy, by all means do so. Find a random person online complaining about their student loan and send them a check. Drive around a poor neighborhood and hand cash out. Call up your deadbeat friend who can't stay sober enough to keep a job and pay his rent for a few months. But don't force the people who are out there doing the right thing, paying their bills, not overspending, and still struggling to stay ahead to pay more than they already are. I get there are people out there that have just got a raw deal. Things went wrong that were outside their control and now they are struggling. But choosing a major in college that is in a field that could never pay the bills, buying a house way outside your budget, having 8 kids, or running up 20k in credit card debt because you can't stay off amazon, are not things outside your control

You are getting really worked up over something that isn't going to happen.

She hasn't graduated yet (this was her final semester) so she hasn't had to make payments on them yet. But, if people are offering to pay them off for her... :rotfl2:

My hours were also cut so I'm not paying your daughters loans. I don't think anyone should have to pay your daughter's loans at the moment!

You are getting really worked up over something that isn't going to happen.

Obamacare wasn't going to happen until it did. There may not be a college loan or debt forgiveness stimulus as part of the covid stuff, but there are those who will keep trying to get that done after this. If Bernie, or the next Bernie, were ever to get elected with a Democrat congress, just watch out.

Obamacare wasn't going to happen until it did. There may not be a college loan or debt forgiveness stimulus as part of the covid stuff, but there are those who will keep trying to get that done after this. If Bernie, or the next Bernie, were ever to get elected with a Democrat congress, just watch out.

Hold onto your butts, poor people might have health care!

Yeah, let's punish the people that work hard, are financially responsible, took risks to start their own business, provide jobs for people. Cause we need to discourage people from doing that.

This is incredibly dismissive. Unless everyone has the same starting point, there is no way to know whom works harder than whom. And if your wealth only takes a tiny dent to help others, I can't imagine why that's a punishment.

Yeah, let's punish the people that work hard, are financially responsible, took risks to start their own business, provide jobs for people. Cause we need to discourage people from doing that.
I see it differently - let's be sure that those who need help get it, even if it comes at the expense of those who can most afford to provide that help. YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter