What do you think about the magic?

Barbara Rhines

Earning My Ears
We’ve been on the dream, the fantasy, and the wonder, but never the magic. How do you guys think it compares? Is it better than the wonder?

I think the Magic is in great shape!
Sailed her last September, she was beautiful. I say she is right up there with the Wonder.
I was suppose to be boarding her in 2 weeks for a trip across the Atlantic. :sad1:
The majority of our cruises have been on The Wonder & Magic. Love the classic ships.

I have only sailed the Magic, so I am not much use. However, I have to reschedule my Fantasy cruise due to Covid, in my new trip planning I could either go on a 4 night Dream from Port Canaveral, or a 5 night Magic from Miami. As we go to WDW first, it makes sense to go on the Dream, but I loved the Magic so much, I'll take an extra flight to Miami to board the Magic :) Everything Tangled related was amazing, the size is just right. I didn't really care for Lumieres, but that's just taste.

I think it depends a bit what you are looking for in cruise. A very good example is the channel Legglife on Youtube. Last year, February 2019, about a week before my first cruise, they were on board. When you look at their daily vlogs of that cruise you would think they had an amazing time. The Marvel day at Sea, Rapunzel's show & restaurant, best Palo experience ever etc. however in the review vlog they did after their cruise, they decided that the Magic was lacking magic. And made them a bit apprehensive when they boarded the Fantasy earlier this year.
What happened, they thought the upkeep off the ship was lacking (it needed a coat of paint here and there), and apparently they love to talk to crew members and asked how they liked working here and they got a very honest answer from one of them. After that they started noticing that there were tensions between crew members. It's an interesting to first watch the daily vlogs and then the review.

The only thing I recognized was that service at dinner was slow, and that's something I have seen in more vlogs. I think the Magic was understaffed in early 2019, the servers had more tables than they could handle. Which could indeed mean that crew was overworked and then tensions rise.

As it was my first cruise I didn't see a lack of upkeep (and I doubt if I would notice it otherwise, it's not something I usually spot). If this is important to you I would look for more recent reviews. The Magic has a short dry dock scheduled late September this year.

We have cruised on the Dream and the Magic. We loved the Magic. I didn't notice any evidence of the age of the ships compared to each other. They both were beautiful! I also don't go around looking for every little not so perfect detail.

We loved the Magic over the Dream. It never felt crowded and when we stopped at Castaway Cay it was so much nicer to have a smaller crowd.

On both ships, we had top-notch Disney service!

We’ve been on the dream, the fantasy, and the wonder, but never the magic. How do you guys think it compares? Is it better than the wonder?

In addition to the points that others have made, I also think the magic has a much better adult pool area and adult club area. But as you have experience on the Wonder, you will be aware of those.

if you enjoy Marvel, and it fits into your schedule, the MDAS cruises are really fun. And the Marvel deck show is the best show on any of the ships.

We love the Magic and Wonder as well. The Magic adds the Aquadunk over the Wonder and a different themed restaurant (Rapunzel's Royal table versus Tiana's Place). Less people on board really opens everything up.

The Magic is our favorite DCL ship. We sailed on her Maiden Voyage back on July 30, 1998 and have sailed on her many, many times since....most recently October of 2019. We have sailed all four DCL ships but the Magic is still my favorite!!! You might say we are aging well together LOL!!! But really, she is a classy lady.

Enjoy your cruise!!

MJ

The Magic was our first ship (cruise). Well, our first 3 cruises. So I have a soft spot for her. I liked the way she used to look, not as much since the major refurb several years ago, but I still like her better than the big ships.

Nine of our 20 DCL cruises have been on the Magic, 4 on the Fantasy, 1 on the Dream (DW only), and the rest on the Wonder. We prefer the classic ships and have done more on the Magic because of the itineraries. We prefer longer cruises when possible, so the transatlantics on the Magic and the Panama Canal transits on the Wonder have been favorites. We’ve also done three b2b sailings on the Magic to get more shipboard time. We’re probably done with the Fantasy cruises now, but will give the Wish a try if itineraries work out and Covid-19 is under control. We like Rapunzel’s Royal Table better than Tiana’s Place and enjoy Animator’s on both. Otherwise, the two classics are pretty similar for us.

Love the classic ships, but prefer the Wonder over the Magic due to Tangled... didn't like the theme or show (or movie).

We’ve sailed all four ships and the Magic is by far our favorite. Next year will be the 8th time we will be on the Magic when we sail Northern Europe. Although the newer ships have the better technology I much prefer the intimacy of the smaller ships.

The Magic is very well preserved for her age. I like the art nouveau style of the Wonder better than the art deco style of the Magic, but that's obviously personal preference. The Tangled show is good. It has both the Aqua Dunk drop-down water slide and the Twist and Spout spiral slide, while the Wonder only has the Twist and Spout spiral slide. Personally, I prefer the Dream class ships in the areas of food & service, but those are so subjective and related to your particular tastes/sailing/servers that everyone can have a very different experience in that regard.

We'll be aboard the Magic next March. We've been on the Wonder twice now. I can't wait!!!

The Magic is too small for me and I thought the splash pad was a joke. Also there is no Aqua Duck

If you've sailed on the Wonder, then you know pretty much what it's like. I have to say that we just love the Magic. Best cruise we ever took was the one on the Magic. Of course the length of the cruise and the ports had a lot to do with it, but we found the CMs really nice and the ship was in great shape.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter