What do you really think about T Rex

connchurch

Earning My Ears
Made a reservation at T Rex but am having some apprehension now because I read somewhere their steaks were nasty. Thought it looked like a wide variety of choices for our family of 13. But have one really picky eater who really wanted to have a good steak dinner that night. Is our first day of arrival so need a restaurant outside the parks. Also want it to be only 1 table service. Any ideas?? Opinions of T Rex wanted.

We have enjoyed the food at TRex including the steak, which is a huge portion and my mom and sister have split both times we were there together. The atmosphere is loud and chaotic, but the kids liked the dinos and food has always been good.

For other non park 1 credit dinners with steak on the menu, I like the steak at Kona Cafe. Raglan Road also has good food, but I haven't tried their steak.

We loved it. I thought the food was terrific but I didn't have a steak. I had the appetizer sampler... I still crave their quesadillas. They were excellent.

I have personally never gone, but I have a friend who is in Disney right now. We actually check in to the same resort on sunday. He texted me last night and said do not do T-Rex. They waited 90 minutes for their appetizers, ended up having to ask where their food was, and when it came out it was cold and over-cooked. Now of course like any restaurant this could of just been a bad night, but him and myself are servers, so we know how to look passed things that are out of the server/restaurant's control. He had a terrible experience.

Made a reservation at T Rex but am having some apprehension now because I read somewhere their steaks were nasty. Thought it looked like a wide variety of choices for our family of 13. But have one really picky eater who really wanted to have a good steak dinner that night. Is our first day of arrival so need a restaurant outside the parks. Also want it to be only 1 table service. Any ideas?? Opinions of T Rex wanted.

I loved it! here is a review I did on it recently :)

http://yohoyohobloggerslifeforme.blogspot.com/2012/07/t-rex-downtown-disney-review.html

It's all about the experience. Theming is awesome, my son loves it. Food is ok. We go in with the expectation of thinking its cool... not with the expectation that the food will be awesome so it depends on what you are looking for.

The experience was great. The food was ok. It was of the same quality as rainforest cafe.

The food was okay. I found the themeing---especially the noise level/flashing lights to be annoying. Of course, I'm also the one nut who thinks the whole WCC chaos is just too much during a meal:rotfl2: Obviously, I prefer a calmer mealtime experience.

We've eaten there twice! Both times the service was good and the food surprizingly tasty. It's part of the same chain as Rainforest but I think the food at T-Rex is much better.

The portions follow the theme, huge! Their chicken is delicious and the Pot Pie (can easily feed 3) has huge chunks of that delicious white meat rotiserrie chicken in it. The ribs, gigantic and very tender. We always start with the cheese dip, it comes with fresh multi colored tortilla chips. We have a few picky friends in our bunch as well, T-Rex wait staff made sure that the mahi and the steak came plain grilled, and both were perfectly cooked and came as ordered.

It's got the dinosaur theme, it can be a bit loud at times but it's a fun decor and it's worth experiencing!

We really enjoyed T-Rex on both of our trips. My kids actually prefer the Mojo Bones (ribs) at RainForest Cafe but really enjoy the atmosphere at T-Rex. I think that's really more what these two are about versus the actual food. I will say I'm a pretty picky eater and enjoyed the eggplant bruschetta that comes with the appetizer trio. We've never ordered steak at either of these so I can't comment on the quality. We had excellent service both times but we typically always visit in the off season.

DH and I really like T-Rex. We've tried the appetizer sampler, nachos, fried shrimp, ribs and rotisserie chicken....not all at once though!! The food has always been quite good. Large portions for your money, too.

The ice cave is our favorite area to be seated in. It seems that the tables are more spread out in there. I find in the main dining rooms that the tables tend to be right on top of one another. That doesn't make for a pleasant dining experience!

All in all it's a fun place with tasty food. Worth a trip at least once!

I LOVE it!!! I went twice on my last vaca just a few months ago. The first was at regular dinner time, and the server was AMAZING... The second time was a very late dinner (like 11pm) and the server was AWFUL :confused3. However, that doesn't make me change my mind about the overall experience. The food was great, and you get huuuuge portions. I particularly enjoyed the Footprints Flatbread, and the Layers of the Earth Lasagna. Yes it is a loud restaurant, but the atmosphere is upbeat and cheerful, and oh so much fun!! I have already made ADRs for our next trip. I think it's a must do! :thumbsup2

The food is good, not wow over the top, but good. My son absolutely loves the theming, so we go.
I have found plenty on the menu that appeals to me, so we will continue to go back. This time, we are hoping to sit in the ice cave. I do sometimes feel like the dinos are watching me eat.

It was terrible. Kids had the standard chicken nuggets that were unimpressive and expensive. The positive was the theming. I would go once and that is it. We sat in the middle area that was an ice cave. Kids didn't like it. It was hard to see everything.

Crazy, loud, can be dark, large portions- bruschetta our favorite! We've had excellent waiters both times and this is NOT Victoria and Alberts. Go to have a good meal and a great time. Not a romantic dinner with tuxedoed waiters. If your children can have a sensory overload, it might not be the best place. We love the ice cave, such a cool (no pun intended) experience.

One warning. Do not allow your children to leave you before the bill is paid to go "look in the gift shop". Your 16 and 11 year olds may just end up in Build-A-Dino and have it nearly done by the time you arrive if they are very efficient shoppers... Minnie the Pterodactyl and then last year Diesel the Triceratops have made the long ride home from FL to RI.

What exactly happens in TRex? I have heard there is a meteor shower but what exactly is this?
My brother will be 9 when we go. He is very keen to go and see the theming. Is TRex better than Rainforest Cafe?

meggiebeth said:
What exactly happens in TRex? I have heard there is a meteor shower but what exactly is this?
My brother will be 9 when we go. He is very keen to go and see the theming. Is TRex better than Rainforest Cafe?

I think it's similar to RF cafe. Lights, mood, etc. my 9 year old son still talks about it. I know he wants to go back but the food is so - meh - that I'm not sure I want to drop 100+ on it.

I don't know how to explain the meteor shower but its pretty neat. I liked the overall experience and how happy is made DS

DH gets the trio. I think it is shrimp, steak and chicken. Not cheap but that is his go to meal. He really likes it!!. I am usually good with an app. Nachos, mozz or the app trio. But I have had the chix fried steak. Yum and The usual sammies. And pizza. All good. We like it and will be there again in Nov!!

IMO Trex is better than RFC only because it is more updated. RFC looks old in comparison. We still go to RFC. Food is pretty much the same. But if you are looking for theming. TRex is better.

Crazy, loud, can be dark, large portions- bruschetta our favorite! We've had excellent waiters both times and this is NOT Victoria and Alberts. Go to have a good meal and a great time. Not a romantic dinner with tuxedoed waiters. If your children can have a sensory overload, it might not be the best place. We love the ice cave, such a cool (no pun intended) experience.

One warning. Do not allow your children to leave you before the bill is paid to go "look in the gift shop". Your 16 and 11 year olds may just end up in Build-A-Dino and have it nearly done by the time you arrive if they are very efficient shoppers... Minnie the Pterodactyl and then last year Diesel the Triceratops have made the long ride home from FL to RI.
Thanks for the warning. This is what I'm afraid of with DS6 and my friend's DS5. We're not expecting spectacular food, though I'm hoping for some wraps like RFC has and DS likes the popcorn chicken, so :confused3, just going to enjoy a unique dining experience. Don't you have to go through the gift shop to get into and out of the restaurant? We have a difficult time leaving RFC in Anaheim without at least some cups ...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter