What do you LOVE about your home?

I love almost everything about my home. The family who built it put a lot of thought into the layout and design and it fits my family perfectly. There's lots of tall windows which is great because I have mild SAD. There's a downstairs bedroom with an attached bath in a tucked-away spot for my MIL. I'd love to not share a kitchen with her but at least the kitchen has a great layout for accomodating two people cooking separate meals at the same time. My mom is handicapped and there's an accessible entrance for her and no thresholds for her to trip over. There's lots of useful storage including a closet in the garage for storing our holiday decorations, which is great because previous owners converted the attic into a combination of guest room/media room. The house is close to my kids' school and my DH's business, which means that we don't have to drive 25 minutes every weekday roundtrip.

One of the main reasons we bought it though is because it has a great layout for large parties and hosting the holidays. We normally have at least four parties that usually have 30+ guests every year plus smaller groups for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I really miss the parties this year. Diwali didn't feel the same without a party. I was planning on holding a party this summer to celebrate my parents' 50th wedding anniversary but that wasn't possible.

I love...
  • our great room/kitchen. Our old house had a separate living room plus a family room and the living room was just wasted space.
  • DH's office - with a door that shuts, so we can close off the view to his nest of stuff. :-) He loves his cave.
  • like another poster said, having a separate laundry room that's not the thoroughfare to the garage.
  • tile floors in all of the common areas of the house.
  • the pantry. It's awesome.
  • the really big sliding glass door, combined with no neighbors behind us.
  • how the backyard is on the north side of the house, which means that we can actually sit on our back porch late in the day in the summer and not bake in the sun (we live in AZ).
  • 3 car garage. part of 1 car section is used for storage and we can still fit our 2 cars in the garage. When the high outside is 110 F, that makes a huge difference.
  • the layout of the kitchen
  • size of the backyard - not too big and not too small. It's just right.
  • how the backyard does not have a pool. I never want a house with a pool ever again. So much hassle and cost. No thanks.
  • the front door. I love our front door.

The fact that it’s mine. I just bought my first condo about two months ago.
Uniqueness - it’s located in an old, converted elementary school and I have huge windows in my living room and bedroom.
Safety - gated parking and the exterior door is locked at all times
A dishwasher - I lived with my parents before and their kitchen isn’t big enough to have a dishwasher, it is very nice!
Central air - I haven’t used it yet, as I moved in October, but I’m sure I’ll appreciated this in the summer!
Also, for what is essentially an apartment building (though mostly owner-occupied) it’s pretty quiet. I sometimes ear my next door neighbor’s tv or my upstairs neighbors/their dog walking around, but it’s nothing terrible.
No washer and dryer in the unit - I’m next door to the laundry room, so it’s easy to run over and out a load of laundry on, but Miley annoying that I can’t do laundry at any time of day.

The neighborhood. We all sit on 1-3 acres. All of the houses are different (no cookie cutter) and are well maintained.

We have 3 wood burning fireplaces. Love the smell of real wood.

A huge fireplace, mantel, bookshelves in the living room. So fun to decorate for all of the seasons.

Nice! I love a real, wood fire! We have a fireplace in sitting room, wood burning stove in basement family room, gas fireplace in in-law suite, built in fire pit outside...and a bonfire pile:flower:
Anymore around here we have no burn days. I haven't used my fireplace in years. 30+ years ago, because it has an insert in it, it was or main source of heat. But that was when a cord of wood was cheap.

I love that our home is a peaceful place. We made that a priority when we moved in that peace would reign here and that we would work to keep it that way. One of the best decisions we ever made.

I love this! As soon as I finish unpacking and organizing the last of our moving boxes, I hope to say the same.

We moved in May to our fourth and hopefully final house. I love almost everything about it but the location is still the best part.

We are in a quiet neighborhood and 3 houses away from a long walking trail. There are a creek and fields in one direction or wooded path to the river the other way.

We downsized quite a bit but the set up allows for 3 separate sleeping areas and a big open area when the 3 teen/grown kids +1 and all the dogs are around.

Laundry room on bedroom level.
Lots of kitchen counter space.
Plenty of storage areas.

It’s got a good vibe, with lots of love
Can hear and smell the sea
Has most of what we want in a home

My ocean view

Attachments

• 9D581AFC-BA12-4C1F-BB3C-C39092A10236.jpeg
    9D581AFC-BA12-4C1F-BB3C-C39092A10236.jpeg
    42.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 601679A8-A09D-44A2-A7F6-A1D92CB2528A.jpeg
    601679A8-A09D-44A2-A7F6-A1D92CB2528A.jpeg
    104.4 KB · Views: 11
  • FC7AE748-ED19-40B3-A210-32A2EA70EDE2.jpeg
    FC7AE748-ED19-40B3-A210-32A2EA70EDE2.jpeg
    44.4 KB · Views: 11
I love a number of things. Especially that it’s a 1 story Acadian that we can age out in if we want to. Although it’s certainly not the perfect house, one of the bathrooms can easily be renovated for accessibility for wheelchair access if needed. It has a long hallway which is the perfect place for many of the framed New Orleans jazz fest posters we have collected since 1980 when we first started attending the festival. I like our wrap around covered and railed front porch. The porch faces west so good views at sunset. No acreage which is a good thing at our age, but the neighborhood is beautifully wooded and safe. We have a large park area directly behind our neighbors across the street. We walk through the park for daily walks on the pathway on top of the Mississippi River levee. We also have great neighbors of all ages, backgrounds, occupations, etc. it’s a very stable neighborhood. One positive (one of the few) of 2020 is that we have spent more time visiting our neighbors outside as many are home more. There’s a lot of borrowing, helping each other, sharing satsumas and pecans, and helping with recommendations for home projects.

Last edited:
14 foot wet bar off of family room; wine cellar (that could store 900 bottles, but I only have around 200 right now; 10 foot ceilings; hardwood throughout; second floor laundry and second laundry area in the basement; large covered deck; and great neighbors. The neighborhood is very diverse. You should smell the good dinner smells during the summer. Korean on one side of our house, Indian on the other side and Philippine a couple doors down. I cook all cuisines, but more Italian than anything because that's what DH likes.

I truly love my house.

It's off in the woods without actually being way out in the boonies. It's so quiet and dark at night with lots of wildlife around, but also within 45 minutes of a decent airport and 1.5 hours of a major international airport.

My bedroom is enormous and has it's own bonus room. My sister's room is also a really good size, which was surprisingly hard to find. So many houses have a big master and then the rest of the bedrooms are small.

It took us over two years of looking to find it and it's definitely worth the wait.

There are so many things I love about our home, but the pool is definitely one of my favorites, it has a sun shelf and I love sitting on it and reading a book! I also love that we have enough space that when our kids have friends over they have their own space.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter