What do you do to make your room special during your stay?

emsstacey

Mouseketeer
I'm wondering what things I need to pack or think of to make our stay more special? I have heard of people using organizers and window clings.. what else is there?

Thank you!

I'm wondering what things I need to pack or think of to make our stay more special? I have heard of people using organizers and window clings.. what else is there?

Thank you!

We have found that if everyone packs the right attitude, it doesn't get any more magical.

Having said that, we also found the following helps us stay organized:

Pop up hamper
Multiple sizes of Ziploc bags
Sponges already soaked with dish soap cut up into 1/4's for cleaning mugs
Hanging shoe organizer for toiletries
Power strip
3-4 laundry pods and dryer sheets

It you are talking about decorations or gifts I've heard about the window clings too. Something I did on our last trip was to have a Disney bag delivered to the room while we were out and my wife enjoyed the surprise when she saw them. Also had a pandora charm delivered on another day. It was a little more magic when we came back to the room.

We decorate the window. :cutie:

We also take one of those pop up shoe organizers with the three tiers to hold our toiletries and beauty supplies so we're not cluttering up the sink area. We stay at the All-Stars where the sink is outside of the bathroom next to the clothes hanger area. We just hang it on the overhead rack and it's good to go. They're so cheap we usually throw it out at the end of the trip.

I usually bring gel window clings for the window or balcony door. When I'm visiting over Halloween, I string up bat and ghost garland, and I have a few strands of battery-operated Halloween lights that I throw over the furniture. I love Holiday decorating, lol

As someone sensitive to fragrance, and having a medically fragile daughter, I would discourage too many fragrance items in the room.

I do things to keep the room organized, so pop up hamper (dollar store), extra thin metal hangars (left over from my husband's shirts from the cleaners, so I don't have to call housekeeping as I hang most of my clothes), packing cubes, little bins to hold misc. stuff (dollar store). At a value resort, I also bring a small travel single cup coffee maker, and order disposable coffee cups with lids in my grocery order. I have to have my coffee first thing in the morning!

We dont add any decorations, etc because as a larger family I cannot take the clutter.

We always bring things that keep us organized. I also use the thin hangers so I can hang the majority of our clothing, a pop up hamper, (my DD uses that, I just put a plastic bag in my suitcase and every piece of used clothing goes in it) my toiletry bag that is stored on my suitcase, and since I read how folks use the drawers I am glad that I pack any personal clothing in plastic bags. I just toss them in a drawer.

We dont add any decorations, etc because as a larger family I cannot take the clutter.

We always bring things that keep us organized. I also use the thin hangers so I can hang the majority of our clothing, a pop up hamper, (my DD uses that, I just put a plastic bag in my suitcase and every piece of used clothing goes in it) my toiletry bag that is stored on my suitcase, and since I read how folks use the drawers I am glad that I pack any personal clothing in plastic bags. I just toss them in a drawer.

curious....

what do you mean "how people use the drawers"?

curious....

Putting dirty clothes in them maybe???

I don't do anything special to the room. Sometimes I decorate the window, if I'm there close to a holiday. But I don't bother packing any gizmos, I need all the room in my suitcase for my clothes and things.

I really don't understand the pop up hamper, unless you are driving. Or you are putting dirty clothes into a hamper to have to dump them out into a suitcase later.

curious....

They put their dirty clothes in them. I never gave it a thought that dirty unders were there.

My dd lines that pop up hamper thing but I think it takes up space.

Ahh, right. I always thought that was a possibility, which is partly why I love packing cubes!

They put their dirty clothes in them. I never gave it a thought that dirty unders were there.

My dd lines that pop up hamper thing but I think it takes up space.

OK, I thought that there might be something else that i didn't know. yes, I expect that lots of people use the drawers as a clothes hamper for dirty clothes. we rarely use the drawers much, partly for that reason.

When we do:
I don't think that housekeeping cleans inside the drawers (or lots of places that are probably less sanitary than I would like). So, we always bring Lysol wipes to wipe everything first (including inside the drawers). Then I sometimes line the drawer(s) that I will use with small hand towel(s) from the hotel. Then I put my 'stuff' in there - mostly a few small items for quick grab like suntan lotion, spare eyeglasses, any snacks like granola bars, etc. - the kind of stuff you easily toss into a small bag.
Meanwhile, for clothes we live out of color coded packing cubes in our suitcases. And I bring a garbage bag and small folded nylon duffle for putting dirty clothes in.

I like to be quickly mobile for changing rooms/resorts or even just packing up to leave. So, I keep everything very organized and ready to go.

That way there is actually very little around the room and it only takes a few minutes to throw everything together to leave.
We empty the safe, dump the stuff off the towel into a carryon, put our toiletries bag from the bathroom into the carryon, zip up the suitcases and we are out the door.

I guess that 'special' for me in a hotel room is very little clutter and freedom to leave at a moment's notice. Now, my luggage, THAT has to be special. The right bags, with perfectly fitted packing cubes, are essential to a well organized trip, IMO.

My room feels special when I am sitting out on my balcony with a coffee or glass of wine watching the 'world' go by......

Thanks for all of the ideas! We are planning to spend a bit more time in the room since June/July can be so hot and crowded! I love a nice uncluttered room, and all of your ideas are great for me to consider! I always pack our dirty clothes in one of our suitcases but never considered people using the drawers for dirty clothes- how gross! I think I will do a bit of all you say!

The only thing I think I won't do, is bring oils or anything fragranced because I usually adore the wonderful Disney smells and don't want to mess with that! (CBR was a major acceptation, though!)

Maybe not such a great idea, since aromas can spread and linger. But if someone were to opt for an infuser, no specific brand is necessary.

I'm sure I would hear about from a cast member if there was a problem. Of course I would never do it again. We don't do it every night so that's probably why.

I've never used an infuser, would that be a better way to get the oils into the room without a lingering aroma?

I don't sell doTerra and wasn't promoting that brand specifically, just didn't want to say "oils"...

I don't do anything special to the room. Sometimes I decorate the window, if I'm there close to a holiday. But I don't bother packing any gizmos, I need all the room in my suitcase for my clothes and things.

I really don't understand the pop up hamper, unless you are driving. Or you are putting dirty clothes into a hamper to have to dump them out into a suitcase later.
I hate shoving dirty clothes into random piles around the hotel room, especially the time we were cramped in a value, so I always bring two pop up hampers. They take up no space in our luggage and contain the mess!

Instead of a pop up hamper we bring an empty large duffel bag with us and put our dirty clothes in there, no need to transfer the dirty clothes - we just check the extra duffel bag at the airport. Plus that leaves us with extra room in our other suitcases for any souvenirs we get. I also bring a lot of hangers so I can hang most of our clothes and don't have to iron much.

I always bring an air freshener and hand soap in the same scent. Not only is it nice having foamy soap (I hate bar soap to wash my hands), but then that scent will forever remind me of that trip. If there is a lotion in that scent, I'll bring that too.

I like to decorate our door. I cut out Mickey heads and hats and put magnets a few years ago and they're still in really good shape. One year at POR, we could hear something scratching at our door. I thought it was a giant bug or something, but I looked out the peephole and a couple of small kids were playing with the magnets. Every time we opened the door or came back, they were in a different design. It was cute, just a little annoying when we were trying to nap. When we left, I left a couple of them on their door to keep.

I've also decorated the windows before, but if it's a short trip I don't waste the time. I used suction cup hooks and made Mickey head garland. It's cute and makes me smile.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter