What Disney Food Would You Buy, Even on a Budget?

I have still not eaten at Boma, but several of the food items from Boma are at Mara. We do go eat there most visits.

We get
Curried Coconut Chicken Soup
Butternut Squash Soup
Sausage Lentil Soup
African Stew
Vegetable Flatbread
Chicken Pita

Sometimes we get an extra side of basmati rice and put the curried soup or Lentil Soup on top.....it makes it a really good meal. I would buy it that way if they served it like that, but they don't.

Then we get Zebra domes for dessert

We live in the middle of the country. There is not much of a fresh seafood selection. Our big splurge every trip is Cape May Café AYCE clams.

We stay offsite and pack almost all of our meals. We have eaten in very few WDW restaurants, sit down or QS. But desserts/snacks we like...mostly for the kids, but have done a few ourselves....

We bought a popcorn bucket for the kids. Refills are $1.50. I know it's cheesy, but we bring large ziplock bags with us and just keep refilling at different locations, so that each kid has a full bucket of popcorn.

Fresh baked goods from Goofy's on Main St in MK.

Dessert at Boardwalk Bakery

World of Coke has good stuff

Now keep in mind, with my reccs, we had DDP so I paid for all of it upfront and don't know what we'd have paid without DDP

I saw T-Rex mentioned, it's more than just T-Rex when you make reservation, ask specifically to be in the dinosaur part. We were in the ocean under a giant jelly fish (group of 10) and we loved the scenery and the atmosphere. Food was really good too.

Be our guest was amazing. None of us were disappointed with the food, even though not going to lie, I just wanted to sit inside it. We peeked into all the rooms. And on our way out I spun my 9 year old daughter down the aisle of the ballroom just like in the movie. Possibly my favorite memory of that trip, and it will be 5 days into our trip and feeling silly and happy.

Ohana hands down the best food. I crave their noodles all the time. It was our last night and I teared up when I realized I could see the castle from my seat. We celebrated my daughter's 10th birthday that night. I couldn't have the peanut sauce or the dessert because of allergies but what I could have was outstanding. We're going back to the the same for my son's 10th birthday.

I didn't get a dole whip but it's like my 3rd order of business when we go back. I liked the Mickey pretzels though.

We're staying at the Fort for two weeks in November. Food costs can obviously add up, so we're trying to eat many meals at our campsite and bring snacks into the park with us. Still, I feel like some things are "must do", even when trying to save money. Here's what I'm thinking so far:

- lunch at Be Our Guest (expensive, but you don't get to see inside any other way)
- lunch at T-Rex (4YO is super into dinos)
- Restaurantosaurus (same reason)
- Satu'li Canteen (get the full Pandora experience)
- Night Blossom in Pandora (see above)
- Mickey Premium Ice Cream Bar

Surely, we'll end up buying more than that over two weeks, but it's a start. What are your must dos?
If you are staying at the Fort for 2 weeks, be sure to try this budget friendly meal from P & J's Southern Takeout. It is the same fried chicken they serve at Hoop Dee Do - yummy!:

Giddyap and Go
8 pieces of Fried Chicken served with Cornbread and your choice of two Sides: Coleslaw, Macaroni and Cheese, or Mashed Potatoes

$23.39

Cinnamon bun at Gaston's (MK) or Kringla Bakery (Norway)
Kaki Gori (Japan)
Definitely a Dole Whip (MK)
Egg Roll (AK)
Lots of good food at the Dolphin - great breakfast at the grill, good chicken sandwich at Cabana Bar, both big enough to share, and with a 20% AAA discount.
Ate at Trails End last trip for first time, a good value

What are these?

We are at Disney in 25 days and I am looking forward to experiencing a dole whip!!
They are delicious, but I think they only give you one per order, which is plenty for one person. They are super sweet and sugary.

If I were on a budget, I would defitintely hit the snacks. We think they are better than the meals!

Nutella Waffle at Sleepy Hollow (MK)
Cinnamon Roll at Gaston's (MK)
Dole Whip (MK, AK)
Leftse at Norway (Epcot)
Crepe at France (Epcot) - my daughter thinks these are the best, but the rest of us don't

Tea at the GF, it's gotten more and more expensive and they have cut down on what you get but I still have to do it every time I'm there.
Hollywood Brown Derby - we have gotten where we eat at the outside lounge more now but I have to go every trip, love me some Cobb Salad and a white wine flight (you can't get the flight outside).
Drinks at Nomad Lounge - we love the place.

Interesting...please elaborate on this one...

We're staying at the Fort for two weeks in November. Food costs can obviously add up, so we're trying to eat many meals at our campsite and bring snacks into the park with us. Still, I feel like some things are "must do", even when trying to save money. Here's what I'm thinking so far:

- lunch at Be Our Guest (expensive, but you don't get to see inside any other way)
- lunch at T-Rex (4YO is super into dinos)
- Restaurantosaurus (same reason)
- Satu'li Canteen (get the full Pandora experience)
- Night Blossom in Pandora (see above)
- Mickey Premium Ice Cream Bar

Surely, we'll end up buying more than that over two weeks, but it's a start. What are your must dos?

If you are trying to be budget-minded and really just want to see the castle, what about breakfast at BOG instead of lunch? OR share meals... or even order just drinks and cupcakes.

Restaurantosaurus, IMO, is Disney-speak for McDonald's. Not sure this is where i'd choose to spend my money, especially if you're doing the T-Rex thing.

We never miss Boma. Yes, it'll be expensive. DO you have a Disney VISA card? If you do and use it to pay, there's a 10% discount at Boma, but you have to ask. After dinner, you can go outside for night-viewing on the savanna, or go to the story telling campfire. If you can't swing Boma, go eat at the Mara (QS at AKL, serves some of the Boma food) and still do the animal viewing/campfire, etc.

So things I'd definitely buy: Boma dinner, Mickey bars, Dole whip, frozen alcoholic slushy in France/Epcot, sweet pretzel in Norway/EPcot, frozen banana in Animal Kingdom. I'm not sure how old your kids are, but consider a character meal if they are of that age to want/NEED to meet characters. I figure it this way: You have to eat/rest anyhow. Time is money in WDW, and think of the time a character meal can save. In our experience, a character M&G takes 45mins to an hour. You can stand in 4 character lines (3-4 hours of precious park time, per person) or you can pay to sit in a/c splendor, eat a meal, and have your kids meet 4 characters (or more) in a little over an hour. Thought of that way, the bill doesn't have quite as much sting!

If you are trying to be budget-minded and really just want to see the castle, what about breakfast at BOG instead of lunch? OR share meals... or even order just drinks and cupcakes.

Restaurantosaurus, IMO, is Disney-speak for McDonald's. Not sure this is where i'd choose to spend my money, especially if you're doing the T-Rex thing.

We never miss Boma. Yes, it'll be expensive. DO you have a Disney VISA card? If you do and use it to pay, there's a 10% discount at Boma, but you have to ask. After dinner, you can go outside for night-viewing on the savanna, or go to the story telling campfire. If you can't swing Boma, go eat at the Mara (QS at AKL, serves some of the Boma food) and still do the animal viewing/campfire, etc.

So things I'd definitely buy: Boma dinner, Mickey bars, Dole whip, frozen alcoholic slushy in France/Epcot, sweet pretzel in Norway/EPcot, frozen banana in Animal Kingdom. I'm not sure how old your kids are, but consider a character meal if they are of that age to want/NEED to meet characters. I figure it this way: You have to eat/rest anyhow. Time is money in WDW, and think of the time a character meal can save. In our experience, a character M&G takes 45mins to an hour. You can stand in 4 character lines (3-4 hours of precious park time, per person) or you can pay to sit in a/c splendor, eat a meal, and have your kids meet 4 characters (or more) in a little over an hour. Thought of that way, the bill doesn't have quite as much sting!
Breakfast at BoG is actually more expensive than lunch... the entrees are cheaper at lunch, and there are soups for $6 per "meal".

There are a few interesting things on the menu at Restaurantosaurus. I don't mind a Disney burger, though. My wife is gluten-free, so we can split a double burger easily and stretch it with the toppings bar. There are also some options there for a half-meal... things like chili cheese fries and the brownie for dessert sound good. Needless to say, we won't be dropping $100 in there for a QS meal, but I think it will be fun check out... even though it literally was a McD's, that was a long time ago! I picture us spending a lot of time at DAK, so I foresee stops at Flame Tree, Satu'li, and Restaurantosaurus.

We had free QS dining last trip, and we did drive over to the Mara for some zebra domes! We love Boma, but I just don't want to spend that much money for it. We may stop at the Mara, but we're staying at the Fort and we have PH+, so a lot of our free time is spoken for this trip. But I will gladly use that Disney Visa discount at Trail's End, though.

Crystal Palace breakfast used to be a great deal IMO (and right in the middle of a park), but WOOF the prices just seem to have gotten out of control. We have 10 day tickets, so our time is somewhat less precious than it would be if our trip were shorter. Most of the Fab Five can be seen easily with a FP at Epcot (most of the second-tier things at Epcot don't even need FP). We'll already be seeing Belle at Enchanted Tales. The Frozen girls aren't at a meal AFAIK. I just don't think there's a meal that "accomplishes" enough for me to plunk down the money that they want.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter