What did I get myself into!?!?! PTR Jan 2011

mythreeboys

Mouseketeer
Let me begin by saying that this trip was a dream my husband and I had about 3 years ago. We were at Disney with our then 21 month old and 6 month old sons and kept saying how much better the trip would be if their grandparents were here. Knowing that there was no way his parents could afford the trip we set out a plan to save up for it. This later turned into inviting all of our brothers and sisters and their families along too.

Now that I have given the background, I can make introductions!

Samantha-The trip planner/overplanner!
Matt-My husband and secondary trip planner
Ryan-Our 4 year old son with PDD-NOS
Zachary-Our very hyper 3 year old
Aidan-Our currently 9 month old son that is trying to be like Zachary!
Grandma M-My mom
Pappy-My dad
Grandma R-DH's mom
Pap-DH's dad
Dennis-DH's brother
Marie-SIL, married to Dennis
Lacey-Dennis and Marie's 6 yr old
Michael-Dennis and Marie's 3 yr. old
Milan-DH's other brother
Kim-SIL, married to Milan
Angel-My sister
Mike-BIL, married to Angel
Nick-Angel and Mike's 9 yr old
Joey-Angel and Mike's 9 yr old
Dee-DH's aunt/godmother
Tom-DH's uncle/godfather

So that should be 21 in all! We choose Jan 15-22, 2011 for our trip b/c we had been on a schedule of going to WDW every 3 years. Since we went in Dec '07, our next scheduled trip would be for Dec '10, but we had decided to push it back a week or so due to some groups that we encountered while there. Then it occured to me that my 30th b-day was mid January 2011, and what better way to celebrate!

Everyone knew about the trip fairly early, I believe we had told them about 18-24 months in advance! And everyone was on board, but I don't think they took us seriously until I started making reservations!

I started researching everything and decided that we would stay at POP! Century in 6 rooms and everyone would get basic MYW 7 day tickets. Me being a slight overplanner and worrier though wanted the trip booked and was willing to do anything I could in January to get the trip booked! I then found out that 2011 prices do not come out till July/August and so I was stuck for a while....or was I?!??! I found an awesome surprise in January that helped me book our trip early and even upgrade! I'll share it next time though, b/c I have a meeting!

I need to continue with my insanity! This past December and January I was frantically searching for any possible loophole I could find to be able to book my vacation, b/c as far as I was concerned it wasn't happening until I had a confirmation number! Other ideas started to pop into my head, like renting a house for the week. It ended up being slightly cheaper, but Mike was out and wanted nothing to do with it.

So back to the drawing board! Somebody on a message board (may have been DIS, not sure now) mentioned RCI and this sparked my attention. I quickly went to RCI's website and sure enough saw Disney listed. You may be wondering why I was getting excited about this find! Dee and Grandma R both have timeshares through RCI, how great would it be if they would let us use them!!! I called DH in and showed him what I found, what luck I had b/c DH actually had Dee's login information. So we logged into her account to see if it was even possible. Point value for most of the resorts were around 60-70K for the week.....and by luck she had over 180K! We were going to see her at a party later that day, and planned on asking her.

That night after many calls to RCI we had a plan! If I paid everything that Dee owed to RCI and all of the fees, I could have the points to use. So I did just that, but there was still one problem. I couldn't book till March 18 and it wasn't guaranteed that I would find something. I agonized over this for months!

So fast forward to March 18, I was logged into RCI at midnight and came across 2, 2-bedroom units! One at Beach Club and one at Saratoga Springs. We opted for the Beach Club first and then debated over Saratoga. We weren't sure if staying in separate resorts was an option. So we waited for morning, but it was gone. No one had a problem with the other resort so now we just had to wait for another (actually we needed 2 more units). I waited 2 long weeks, but finally another Saratoga unit came up and I snatched it up! I just had to find something with my parents and my sister now! I got the units for a steal though, so I couldn't pass them up!

After about a month and nothing coming available on RCI I tried out the DIS. I found someone to rent me points for about $9.50/pt and was able to score 2 studios at Beach Club for my parents and sister. They were being picky and had to be in the same resort as us. This was the only way I could guarantee they would be in the same place. I was also able to get our park tickets for a $'s off!

So now everyone was happy, right?!?!!? Yeah right, I've come to learn that you can not make everyone happy! My sister had always planned on flying, but in the process of looking up ticket prices she found that driving would be MUCH less. So then I researched renting a car (to get better gas mileage than her truck) and the cost of gas. So they are now driving with us, which I am sure will be an interesting experience b/c Mike always has to be in control and with the group we have that isn't going to fly. Then Pap had to pick a fight and has determined he doesn't like Dee and Tom. So as far as I'm concerned he's an attitude risk and we can't have him on the trip. As of this point Pap has been dropped from the plans.

So we've made some changes, but for the most part no major snags.....or wait nope there was! I lost the tickets! I had been meaning to buy a security box, but hadn't gotten to get one yet. I had taken them to photo copy the backs and then could not for the life of me remember where they went! All I knew was that the copies were with them, so I had nothing to fall back on! I searched everywhere, but I finally found them in the kitchen, of all places! I quickly ran and got a box and now they are all locked up and the copies are in another location. That was a scary day, but thankfully it all worked out!

So now we have 206 days till we leave, and I feel I have so much planning to do. I can't get everyone else on board though. I seem to be the only excited about making dining reservations next month and secretly starting to pack in another 3-4 months. I just can't stop thinking about this trip! More to come later!

Samantha-The trip planner/overplanner!
Matt-My husband and secondary trip planner
Ryan-Our 4 year old son with PDD-NOS
Zachary-Our very hyper 3 year old
Aidan-Our currently 9 month old son that is trying to be like Zachary!
Grandma M-My mom
Pappy-My dad
Grandma R-DH's mom
Pap-DH's dad
Dennis-DH's brother
Marie-SIL, married to Dennis
Lacey-Dennis and Marie's 6 yr old
Michael-Dennis and Marie's 3 yr. old
Milan-DH's other brother
Kim-SIL, married to Milan
Angel-My sister
Mike-BIL, married to Angel
Nick-Angel and Mike's 9 yr old
Joey-Angel and Mike's 9 yr old
Dee-DH's aunt/godmother
Tom-DH's uncle/godfather

Wow! You are so brave to be the mastermind behind the planning for all of these people. I think it's hard work just for a family of 4! I'd certainly be in a constant state of anxiety! At least you have a good 6 months to keep on planning ;)

Good luck!

Wait!!!! Where are you located? I'm in Pennsylvania also! I live in the Richland section of Johnstown. You've probably heard of Johnstown!

We did this last year and there was fifteen of us. It was crazy, we would get to the park and be waiting for someone else to get there. Good luck with your trip and your right you can't make everyone happy.

Wait!!!! Where are you located? I'm in Pennsylvania also! I live in the Richland section of Johnstown. You've probably heard of Johnstown!

I'm in North Huntingdon, just outside of Monroeville, but I grew up in Jeannette/Hempfield Area. I've been to Johnstown a couple of times.

I'm in! We did a trip with 8 of us last October and it was fun but a bit crazy...I can't imagine 21!!! Can't wait to hear about it.

We had planned on Sept this year and then pushed it back to November b/c of finances and now I've decided on Jan. 2011 as well! We will be arriving the day after you leave.

Just noticed it said you are driving from PA, if you need any pointers/tips on that let me know. We have flown the last 2 trips, but our first trip together we drove. We are also driving for this trip, due to the mass quantity of people! There was no way I could afford to fly everyone. We usually go down through DC and hit 95 and take that the whole way down. My dad on the other hand insists on going through WV.

I can't believe some people are actually reading this! My entire family thinks I am crazy, but I don't see how you can't be obsessed about a trip like this!

Ok, so I looked up the park hours and here are my plans:

Friday 14th-Be on turnpike by 6pm, dinner around 8pm in Breezewood

Saturday 15th-arrive in Disney sometime between 11am and 1pm. Get checked in, unpacked, do a little grocery shopping, relax and then head to DD for dinner around 5pm.

Sunday 16th-MK, spectro at 7pm, fireworks at 8pm, pm EMH

Monday 17th-Cape May character breakfast, possibly, AK, AM EMH

Tuesday 18th-(My b-day) EP, AM EMH, thinking lunch at Japan or China and then Dinner at Coral Reef

Wednesday 19th-Cape May character breakfast possibly,????

Thursday 20th-Cape May character breakfast possibly, HS, Fantasmic! at 6:30, thinking about the Fantasmic dinner show that night (leaving the kids with g-ma due to the scary/loud noise factors).

Friday 21st-Cape May character breakfast possibly, EP (DH and I must have 2 days at EPCOT). PM EMH Maybe Mexico for lunch and then Japan or China for dinner (whichever we didn't do the other day).

Saturday 22nd-Check out, probably leave around 5 or 6pm to head back home. Not sure where we will go.

At this time we do not have park hoppers. We generally don't get them b/c we've found it difficult in the past with the 2 kids, and now that there is 3 I can't imagine it being fun at all! However, I am considering it simply b/c we have babysitters this time and we are staying at Beach Club. So DH and I could leave the kids with Grandma/Aunt Dee and go over to EP at night.

Something else to add into the mix is that I have found out that DH is planning on surprising me with either Discovery Cove or Dolphins in Depth for my birthday (not on my b-day, just my present). I found this out b/c he tends to talk to my mom and his mom about it while I'm in the room and they aren't very good whisperers! So I'm thinking I can probably do that Wednesday and I'm thinking we can head back to MK for the kids on Saturday before we leave.

I'm in! We did a trip with 8 of us last October and it was fun but a bit crazy...I can't imagine 21!!! Can't wait to hear about it.

We had planned on Sept this year and then pushed it back to November b/c of finances and now I've decided on Jan. 2011 as well! We will be arriving the day after you leave.

While we plan to spend time with each of them, I don't plan on spending our time together as a group. No one would have any fun that way. Everyone has already been told that they can go where they wish and we will pick days to spend with everyone. So far it hasn't been too bad just making the hotel reservations and getting the tickets.

I have tried thinking about how we could extend this trip a few days! My nephew turns 4 the day after we get back, I feel so bad for him b/c he is going to be so close to spending his bday in Disney! I'm planning to do something for him either Friday or Saturday before we leave.

We did this last year and there was fifteen of us. It was crazy, we would get to the park and be waiting for someone else to get there. Good luck with your trip and your right you can't make everyone happy.

If you have any tips I would love to hear them! I don't plan on doing the parks as a group. At most we will probably have 4 extra people with us. I figure if we go as a group we will spend the entire trip at the restrooms, drink stands, gift shops, and restaurants. So after the 15th everyone is on their own.

Just noticed it said you are driving from PA, if you need any pointers/tips on that let me know. We have flown the last 2 trips, but our first trip together we drove. We are also driving for this trip, due to the mass quantity of people! There was no way I could afford to fly everyone. We usually go down through DC and hit 95 and take that the whole way down. My dad on the other hand insists on going through WV.

Well, we're starting the drive on Saturday morning, which is just a day and a half away! My brother lives in Southern Virginia, so we are spending the first night there. We'll take 95 the whole way down since he's not too far from 95. I can only imagine how fantastic 95 will be for 10+ hours on day 2 :headache: (well, with a 3 year old and 6 year old, that is!!!)

It's really not that bad of a drive, although I have yet to do it with kids! And I feel your pain about the 3 and 6 yr old! We are taking a 12 passenger van with a trailer (for luggage, strollers, and wheelchairs), 2 mini vans, and my sister is renting a car. My sister-in-law and I refuse to drive the big van with the trailer, so we volunteered to drive one of the minivans together.....with 5 of the 7 kids that are going on this trip! So we will have a 6.5yr old, an almost 5 yr old, a 4 yr old, a 3 yr old, and a 16 month old! Of those 4 are boys! I am so thankful we are leaving at night and I'm hoping they sleep most of the time! Hope you have a great trip!

It's really not that bad of a drive, although I have yet to do it with kids! And I feel your pain about the 3 and 6 yr old! We are taking a 12 passenger van with a trailer (for luggage, strollers, and wheelchairs), 2 mini vans, and my sister is renting a car. My sister-in-law and I refuse to drive the big van with the trailer, so we volunteered to drive one of the minivans together.....with 5 of the 7 kids that are going on this trip! So we will have a 6.5yr old, an almost 5 yr old, a 4 yr old, a 3 yr old, and a 16 month old! Of those 4 are boys! I am so thankful we are leaving at night and I'm hoping they sleep most of the time! Hope you have a great trip!

If you have any tips I would love to hear them! I don't plan on doing the parks as a group. At most we will probably have 4 extra people with us. I figure if we go as a group we will spend the entire trip at the restrooms, drink stands, gift shops, and restaurants. So after the 15th everyone is on their own.

Is everyone eating there meals together or separately? We stayed together mostly at the parks but sometimes we did go our own way. Everyone would meet up for dinner, which was hard because if one person was missing they did not seat you till your whole party was present.

Is everyone eating there meals together or separately? We stayed together mostly at the parks but sometimes we did go our own way. Everyone would meet up for dinner, which was hard because if one person was missing they did not seat you till your whole party was present.

Outside of dinner the night we get there and a character breakfast we are eating separately. I'm not sure if we are for on my b-day or not (I'm leaving that in DH's hands). I've really been trying to stress that everyone just needs to view this as separate vacations, yes we will hang out with everyone at one point or another, but for the most part we will be going our separate ways.

I had originally planned to update everyone on my trip plans this weekend, since we are down to 200 days till we leave as of today! However, I had a write up for everyone, but with my sons baptism and everything else going on I just couldn't do it.

We started out the weekend with the Walk Now for Autism Speaks in Pittsburgh. I think I mentioned before that my oldest son was diagnosed with PDD-NOS almost 2 years ago. He has a come a LONG way from the speechless little boy he was then, but we still have a journey ahead of us! Saturday was very hot, but the walk was nice! There was about 12,000 people there and tons of stuff for the kids to enjoy. He had a good time overall, but a couple of times we had to get away from the crowd for him to settle down.

On our way back we were going to stop at Sams Club so that I could get some stuff that I needed for my youngest baptism reception, but as I pulled in I remembered I left my card at home. So back home we went to go swimming for a little while.

After the baby napped, we ran to Sams Club and then to Wal-Mart to get everything we needed. I waited for the kiddos to go to bed and then I started making the food. I about gave up when the cake I made crumbled into a million pieces, but DH came to the rescue and ran and got another cake mix! So I baked a new cake and then wouldn't you know it got stuck in the pan!:scared1: Then after fighting with the icing, I gave up. I was ready to just go buy a cake at the grocery store. Then I came to my senses and found a way to fix everything and his cake turned out gorgeous! Cake decorating has been something that I've been playing around with and I actually think I am getting somewhat good at it.

So after the food was made and I was done with the cake I showered and went to bed. DH showered after me and then he got to bed around 5 (I had gone up around 4). I woke up at 6:30 (yes 2.5 hours after I went to bed) to get the baby a bottle and start getting ready for the baptism. When I walked into my kitchen I found a lake!:scared1: I started screaming for DH, but he decided to ignore me:mad: When he finally got up he ran and got the rug scrubber and helped get all the water cleaned up, but we still had no idea where it came from. I then noticed that the kitchen cabinet was dripping. A few months ago he tapped into the cold water line for our new fridge and apparently there was an issue with what he did, so it burst! Now I have no water in the kitchen, until BIL comes over tonight to help him fix it.

After all of that I had no energy to go through a list of Disney planning thoughts with a bunch of people who act like they are going to the local amusement park. So I will save my list for another day. It's been a rough weekend, and now I have to go to work....hoping to catch up on some sleep tonight!!!:headache:

Ok, so the water in the kitchen has been restored! It's still hectic, but I have managed to find some time to think about Disney! I'm working on planning out our must-see attractions and then working on making a park plan from there.

What I have so far:

MK must sees
Big Thunder Mtn-Ryan is now tall enough!
Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin-2 oldest sons are now obsessed with TS
Dumbo
Enchanted Tiki Room-DH loves this
Haunted Mansion
It's a Small World
Mad Tea Party-probably several times, Ry loves to spin
Winnie the Pooh-Aidan will love this!
Phillarmagic-it was being refurbished on our last trip
Spectromagic-haven't seen this yet
Splash Mtn-Ry will love!
Tomorrowland Speedway-Zackie loves this
WDW Railroad-I have train lovers!

MK want to see, if there's time
Tom Sawyer Island-haven't been before
Stiches great escape-Ry might like this
Peter Pan's Flight
Laugh Floor-haven't been
Astro Orbiter
Country Bear Jamboree
Jungle Cruise

EP must sees
Figment
The entire world showcase
Illuminations
Figment
Innoventions
Soarin'
Test Track
The Seas with Nemo

EP if there's time
Mission Space
Spaceship Earth

HS must sees
Fantasmic-have yet to see this
Muppet Vision 3D
Playhouse Disney-a must see with 3 under 5
Rock 'n' Roller Coaster
Tower of Terror
Toy Story Mania-again I have 2 TS fanatics!

HS if there's time
Honey I shrunk the kids movie set adventure
Indiana Jones
Journey into Narnia
Lights Motors Action
Great movie ride
backlot tour

AK must sees
Boneyard-kids loved this last year
Expedition Everest-have yet to ride
Finding Nemo-haven't seen yet
Bugs Life-want to Ry back, he couldn't handle it last year, but a lot has changed
Kilimanjaro Safari
Jungle Trek
Wildlife express train

AK if there's time
Lion King
Pangani trail
Affection Station
Kali River Rapids

I think I got everything! DH doesn't do rides, so there is a lot that I haven't been on yet or for a very long time! Ry is now 41inches, so there is a ton more that he can ride. Currently Zack is only 37" and Aidan has no chance being only 16months on our trip. DH will sit with the kids while I go on rides that they can't and everyone else that is going rides, so more than likely I will have someone to ride with.

If my calculations are right, we have 19 days before we can start making ADR's. I know most in the party could care less, and just keep their attitude of "we'll see everything when we get there". However, I want to go to certain places and I feel a need to make reservations. We are planning on getting the regular dining plan and we are planning to do most breakfasts in our room.

I already know 4/7 of our table service meals. They are China, Japan, Coral Reef (although I'm second guessing this now?), and Cape May for character breakfast. I'm second guessing Coral Reef b/c I looked at the menu and I'm not sure I want to go there anymore. Possibly I would do a lunch, but it just isn't my style of food. I eat seafood, but typically only shellfish and steak fish like tuna, salmon, and swordfish. DH does not do seafood at all, and I do see they have a chicken option. So I may rethink this.

I'm not yet sure about Sunday and Monday. Sunday we are at MK, so I know we do a QS at Casey's (last yr I was pregnant and this was the only meal that did not make me sick and I want to go back!) then probably another QS at Cosmic Rays b/c the kids love it! Monday is AK and I'm thinking of QS at Flame Tree BBQ then QS at Restaurantosaurus....or possibly eat somewhere else that night. Tuesday is possibly Coral Reef for lunch (again, not sure may change) and Teppan Edo for dinner (this my b-day). Wednesday, I don't even know what park we are going to. Thursday we'll be at HS I'm thinking possibly Pizza Planet for lunch and I'm thinking of doing Hollywood & Vine for the Fantasmic! dinner package. However, we did a character breakfast there 2 years ago and didn't really care for it. Friday I'm planning to be back at Epcot and I'm thinking of doing a QS at La Cantina De San Angel for lunch and Nine Dragons for dinner. So now if my calculations are right I still have 1 QS and 3 TS meals left. I still have a Saturday and Wednesday to plan out. I know the day we get there we going to DD, but we are all eating together and I'm trying to get a vote going on Planet Hollywood or T-REX. If we don't do T-REX that night then we will possibly go there Monday after AK (we generally go to DD after a day at AK).

Now to throw in a wrench though. I have been thinking of doing some other restaurants at the resorts or possibly Epcot. I'm thinking of Boma, Sanaa, Kouzzina, O'hana, and Whispering Canyon. We've been contemplating upgrading our tickets to park hopper to, so I'm thinking we could also either feed the kids earlier or send them to eat with one of the grandparents then we could head over to Epcot for our own dinner (and spread out the countries we would like to eat at a little more). Epcot is our favorite park, so staying at BCV is like a dream of ours! I'm really thinking of getting the park hopper, just so that we can walk over there at night just to wander through World Showcase. I would love to hear any ideas anyone else or any suggestions!

One of the purchases for this trip is a new camera. DH just got one recently that is a Fuji and he loves it. I have an olympus, but it is about 3 yrs. old and could use an update! It is also a very small camera and ticked me off a lot on our last trip b/c I kept losing it in my bags/pockets. So I wanted to get a new one that was bulkier and had more options, basically a step below a SLR.

I've been researching, but I didn't plan to buy until November, so that I had the newest technology. In my research I fell in love with the Olympus SP-800UZ and it was in my price range (under $300). 30X optical zoom, 14mp, Dual image stabilization, but I still wanted to wait to see what came available in November.

Well, today I searched for the hell of it and found the Pentax X90 (which I've heard is an awesome camera) on Amazon. It only has 26xOptical Zoom and 12.1mp, but it has a super-telephoto lens and triple shake stabilized zoom. This camera was anywhere from $499-$399 everywhere else. Amazon had it for $299 and I got 2 day free shipping, so I'll have it for the 4th of July weekend. I just couldn't pass it up! I'm just hoping I didn't make a big mistake and I end up finding something much better in November or finding out that I hate the camera!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter