What Cruise to do?

Gzub1003

Mouseketeer
Hi all, looking at doing a cruise in October and want some input. Debating between a 5 night Bermuda cruise on the magic out of NY and a 4 night Bahama cruise on the dream out of Miami. We have done a Bahama cruise on the dream but that was like 10 years ago. Any advice or recommendations from anyone that has done either or both would be great. Thanks.

I'd personally pick the longer cruise going to Bermuda. However, there has been some posts about Bermuda recently that you may want to check out if you are going in October. Make sure you are ok with that.

I would rather leave from Miami than NY. Traffic, parking and hotel costs. Just using a smaller city as the port.

October is the wettest month in Bermuda. Air temps are still warm, but you gave to decide if an average water temp of 79 is too cool for you. We did not get in the water during an early September vacation. You are sitting out in the Atlantic at the same latitude of approximately South Carolina.

Both destinations have the risk of hurricanes at that point.

As far as ships, I am a Magic over Dream fan. You just have to decide that for yourself.

I assume you get to stay overnight in Bermuda? Not something you get on most cruises - you might consider it a plus. And it gives you an opportunity to dine at Tom Moore’s Tavern for dinner. We really enjoyed our evening there.

And how would you feel about no visit to Castaway Cay.

(I pretty much see this decision as a 50/50 split in my mind. It comes down to intangibles or cost and transportation issues). Having done a bunch of cruises, but never Bermuda, I probably would try it if the price of everything was decent.

Are you leaning more towards one?

I know Bermuda has a new "health passport fee" that just went into effect, not sure how that also affect debarking and embarking?

Bermuda is beautiful, it is a much nicer than some of the Bahamian ports tend to be. You get two days to explore it. WIN Bermuda
But you are sailing in water that tend to be much less tranquil than the Caribbean at times, so that's something to consider. WIN Bahama
I usually stay on ship in Nassau at this point, but Castaway Cay is well worth the trip. WIN Bahama
Both ships are nice, but the Dream is a larger and there is more to explore in my view. WIN Bahama
Comparing the rates - a 5 night out of Miami is cheaper. WIN Bahama
New York could be an additional "trip" before of after... lot's there to do. Might could do something in Miami or squeeze in a WDW trip with some travel time. But I'd say WIN Bermuda

But in the end... what interest you and fits your budget?

I would rather leave from Miami than NY. Traffic, parking and hotel costs. Just using a smaller city as the port.

October is the wettest month in Bermuda. Air temps are still warm, but you gave to decide if an average water temp of 79 is too cool for you. We did not get in the water during an early September vacation. You are sitting out in the Atlantic at the same latitude of approximately South Carolina.

Both destinations have the risk of hurricanes at that point.

As far as ships, I am a Magic over Dream fan. You just have to decide that for yourself.

I assume you get to stay overnight in Bermuda? Not something you get on most cruises - you might consider it a plus. And it gives you an opportunity to dine at Tom Moore’s Tavern for dinner. We really enjoyed our evening there.

And how would you feel about no visit to Castaway Cay.

(I pretty much see this decision as a 50/50 split in my mind. It comes down to intangibles or cost and transportation issues). Having done a bunch of cruises, but never Bermuda, I probably would try it if the price of everything was decent.

Are you leaning more towards one?

I am kinda 50/50. Not going to castaway does stink. I only live 2 hours from NY so that is definitely more convenient. As fast as cost the price is about the same with everything factored in. Miami cruise is cheaper but don’t need a hotel and air fare for Bermuda and yes you are in Bermuda for 2 days.

I'd personally pick the longer cruise going to Bermuda. However, there has been some posts about Bermuda recently that you may want to check out if you are going in October. Make sure you are ok with that.
What kind of posts are you talking about if you don’t mind me asking

What kind of posts are you talking about if you don’t mind me asking
It was just about a $40 charge to get off the boat. I honestly didn't read about the entire thread to get the whole picture and didn't want to miscommunicate what was happening.

It was just about a $40 charge to get off the boat. I honestly didn't read about the entire thread to get the whole picture and didn't want to miscommunicate what was happening.
Got ya. I did see that. Just wanted to make sure there wasn’t something I was missing. Ha

I personally would sail the 5 night for the longer cruise and the chance to go to Bermuda, where I have never been.

The 5 night Bermuda HOTHS out of NY was our first cruise! I feel like 5 nights is a nice length -- now I push for longer when I can but 5 nights still gives you a good amount of time.

Personally, I'd put a premium on not having to fly to the port. I wish I lived 2 hours away from anywhere Disney sails! It was also really neat sailing out past the Statue of Liberty (though perhaps as a New Yorker you will not find this as exciting).

We really liked Bermuda. But, I will warn you, I was super excited to do a shipwreck snorkel excursion, and it got cancelled due to rough seas. I remember our last day on the boat being very intense rocking motion. Just something to consider if you're sensitive to it.

The Royal Dockyards - the port in Bermuda - is a nice location to dock and return to at the end of the day. We took the bus there to visit and have lunch.

I recently watch a series of YouTube videos of a cruise to Bermuda (EECC Travels). Besides renting scooters, they now have some self-drive smart cars; used to be visitors were left taking taxis and buses (Or scooters).

With NY port’s being so close to home, it sounds like a very reasonable choice.

The 5 night Bermuda HOTHS out of NY was our first cruise! I feel like 5 nights is a nice length -- now I push for longer when I can but 5 nights still gives you a good amount of time.

Personally, I'd put a premium on not having to fly to the port. I wish I lived 2 hours away from anywhere Disney sails! It was also really neat sailing out past the Statue of Liberty (though perhaps as a New Yorker you will not find this as exciting).

We really liked Bermuda. But, I will warn you, I was super excited to do a shipwreck snorkel excursion, and it got cancelled due to rough seas. I remember our last day on the boat being very intense rocking motion. Just something to consider if you're sensitive to it.
Yea I have been reading about the rough seas. My wife will get sea sick from time to time so that does make me a little nervous.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter