what car ideal for 80 yrs old?

Isn't a CRV more like an SUV than a sedan? My main concern would be that a higher vehicle like that would be more difficult for an older person like that to get in and out of. Really, to me, the ease getting in an out would be a main thing that I would consider.

I drive a CRV. It's technically a "crossover vehicle" -- built on a car frame. It's in between a car and a traditional truck-based SUV.

My father owns a Honda Civic and a Chevy Trailblazer and finds my CRV easier to get into than either of his vehicles. He's said he might buy one when it's time to replace one of his cars. Dad is 75, but has significant back problems. It's higher than a car, but you don't step up into it like the truck-based SUVs.

Isn't a CRV more like an SUV than a sedan? My main concern would be that a higher vehicle like that would be more difficult for an older person like that to get in and out of. Really, to me, the ease getting in an out would be a main thing that I would consider.

Most crossovers have kind of a "neutral" ingress/egress which makes them easier to get into than either true trucks (too high) or true cars (too low).

We currently own a Focus, GMC 2500HD, and an Acadia. The Acadia is by far the easiest of the three to get in & out of. :)

We are trying to talk my FIL (79) into changing the type of car he drives. He's been in a Mercury Sable each time he buys a new car. We'd like to see him get something that's easy to get in and out of (something a bit higher to the ground) and something he can haul things in. And a bit more fun. A CRV might be the trick for him. The only problem is the only dealership in his town is a Ford place and he's pretty intent of buying there. So we have to get him past that too.

We are trying to talk my FIL (79) into changing the type of car he drives. He's been in a Mercury Sable each time he buys a new car. We'd like to see him get something that's easy to get in and out of (something a bit higher to the ground) and something he can haul things in. And a bit more fun. A CRV might be the trick for him. The only problem is the only dealership in his town is a Ford place and he's pretty intent of buying there. So we have to get him past that too.

If he's intent on buying from the same dealer, the Ford Escape is pretty similar in size and vehicle class. I've only been in one that was a taxi.

Not related to the exact original post...
But, we have been test driving vehicles.

I am too small to drive the more 'boxy' truck like SUV's

Test drove a Kia Sorento.

OMG!!!
Couldn't believe how nice this thing is... And, it's a KIA. Amazing.
As the slogan says.

"KIA, THE POWER TO SURPRIZE."

I have a 2007 CRV and love it! It has 94,000 miles on it with no problems at all. I just got the original brakes replaced three weeks ago. I am now shopping for a new one so that this one can be passed to my daughter in college. It drives and feels like a car but since I'm short I love sitting up higher. Your dad will love it!

For all the 81-year olds I know (all two of them) the best car for either of them would be one driven by someone else!

Bless his heart that he's still driving. Because of medical issues, I stopped driving for about five years; the issues have been resolved and I'm driving again, but I remember how miserable I was being wheel-less. I hope he keeps his independence for many years to come.

Oh, BTW, I second the vote on the Kia Sorento.

Queen Colleen

I think the CR-V is a perfect car for an 80 something year old, for the same reason most have mentioned--they are just easier to get in and out of. Same goes for storage space in the back, no bending over to reach groceries or whatever. My in-laws have a Rav-4 (Toyota version of the CR-V) and my parents have a Nissan Rogue.

My dad is 81 yrs old soon, he is shopping for a new car , he`s been driving corolla his whole life. He wants to buy Honda CRV because it`s 4 wheel drive and he can sit bit higher therefore oversee the road better. I was thinking it may be a bit too unnecessary because there are totally just 3 people in the family. What would you recommend? I think his key points are solid build, driving safely and able to oversee the road easily.

The CRV sounds ideal. We are only two people but bought an SUV because we couldn't see well to drive, or back out of parking spots anymore, because everyone else had an SUV here. I have a lot of orthopedic problems and it was wonderful not to have to struggle just to get in and out of the car. Our car is a 2003 Saturn Vue with less than 40k miles and we'll be keeping it as long as we possibly can. It is in wonderful shape. Our SIL has a Honda and swears by them, so when the time comes for a new car we'd buy the CRV.

The CRV sounds ideal. We are only two people but bought an SUV because we couldn't see well to drive, or back out of parking spots anymore, because everyone else had an SUV here. I have a lot of orthopedic problems and it was wonderful not to have to struggle just to get in and out of the car. Our car is a 2003 Saturn Vue with less than 40k miles and we'll be keeping it as long as we possibly can. It is in wonderful shape. Our SIL has a Honda and swears by them, so when the time comes for a new car we'd buy the CRV.

And for someone who's shorter, another option is the Honda Fit. Easy to get into, a breeze to drive, hatch is reachable, and surprisingly lots of room inside. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter