What can slow down (stall) weight loss on Atkins?

disneyeveryyear

DIS Veteran
I have been faithful to Atkins for over 3 weeks.

First two weeks I lost 12.75 lbs. Now I am stuck. Not losing, regained .5 lb.

I am not cheating. I am not starving myself (3 meals a day + 1 snack).

The only aspartame I get is in SF Jell-o ( 1 to 2 cups per day).

I am usually right at 20 carbs per day.

One day I allowed myself the 40 for continuing weight loss, but that was a fluke (carbs in grilled chix, who would have guessed {Market Day product}).

Does anyone have any ideas that could help me? Is it something I am eating (allowed on Atkins, but may slow down or stop weight loss)?

Not TOM.

I am getting frustrated. Am determined not to quit, but am really discouraged.

I was so excited the first two weeks, thought I had finally found something that would help me lose.

I still have 97 lbs. to go. It is too soon to quit now!

HHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPP!!!

I know there are so many Atkins people here and I love the support.

You have gone 7 whole days without cheating! I have to congratulate you for that, it is a wonderful accomplishment.

First, try to remember that you have lost an average of 4+ pounds a week. You have only been eating low carbohydrate for 3 weeks and you are doing great. Don't get so impatient.

Okay, have you measured yourself? Please, please, please measure yourself if you haven't done it already.

I lost 18 pounds the first three weeks on Atkins then just stopped losing. The scale just sat there mocking me every week when I stepped on it. Number wouldn't get smaller. My husband had the same experience.

Fortunately I measured myself when I began Atkins. At the end of February, having gone an entire month with no loss, I measured myself again. I lost 16.5 inches. Trust me, it kept me motivated to see that and prevented me from giving up.

Are you in ketosis? If you are in ketosis you are losing.

Don't fixate on the scale, it is self defeating. You cannot set a timeline in stone, our bodies are going to play tricks on us sometimes. Fluid retention being one of the most frustrating.

There are several things that can slow or stall weight loss on Atkins, birth control pills, certain high blood pressure meds, not eating enough fat, beta blockers, not eating <i>enough</i> food.

Don't give up yet, I think we can help you figure this out. Try to remember (as aggravating as it is to do so) that you did not gain this weight in one month, or even two months...it would be great to lose it that quickly but it isn't going to happen--I speak from experience. I'll bet that when you were gaining you went a whole month without a gain showing on the scale but if you are like me, you didn't weigh yourself so regularly when you were <i>gaining</i> so we don't know for sure :teeth:

Another thing to remember: Atkins defined a stall in weight loss as being 4 weeks without a loss of weight or reduction in measurements. You still have several weeks before you can consider yourself stalled.

So, tell me....have you measured yourself?

Katholyn

She's exactly right.... you will have stalls here and there (even gain a little). Just stick with what you are doing and everything will be fine. If you have not seen it yet, check out www.lowcarbfriends.com. There is a TON of info there.

You will be okay... don't worry!!!! We are here for all the support you need!!!

Wish I could help...but I really am not a BIG enough Loser to help with this...just sending you some Pixie Dust.....~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~...hang in there!!

Tracy

OMG! I'm at the same stage! Except that I'm in week 5!! I've lost maybe a pound in the past week - nothing the week before. The first 2 weeks are a great inspiration - but it is discouraging! However, I also work out at Curves, and they weighed and measured me at the end of May, so I'll have them weigh & measure me again at the end of this month. My clothes are definitely baggier & I'm fitting into some stuff that I haven't worn in a while. I'll revisit the lowcarb website and re-read some of the chapters in Atkins' book.

(Hang in there Momster! We can do it! I have 90+ lbs to go too - we'll be at this a while!!)

Yes, I measured myself around the 28th of May, and put it in my Fitday journal.

I thought I needed to give it more than 2 weeks before I measured again. How often do most people measure?

I feel smaller (clothes fit better) and was able to get into shorts this weekend that wouldn't even begin to button three weeks before:p .

Maybe I am just too obsessed with the scales. I am used to weighing myself daily (to keep eating under control {yea, right, that's why I need to lose 97 more lbs.:confused: }).

Is it time to measure again, just as a boost?

Should I weigh less often so I don't get discouraged?

OMG, 4 weeks is a stall? I am bummed now, can't imagine after 4 weeks.

My actual cheat free has been over 22 days, but with cheat free challenge, could only start with Princess, couldn't count days before that.

Thanks for being there everyone.

Although I am no longer doing Atkins, I totally agree with what everyone is saying here...don't give up! Congrats on going on all those days cheat -free that is such an accomplishment!

Definitely use the body measurements instead of focusing only on the scale. The way your clothes fit is a great indicator that things are changing for the better for your body.

Are you exercising at all? If you are, perhaps you gaining some muscle and that is fooling the scale.

Lots of pixie dust coming your way!
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

When you lose a large amount of weight at once, many times your body will have to play a little catch-up afterwards.

MOST people lose well the first couple weeks of induction, and then have a pause while their bodies adjust to the new diet, the weightloss, etc.

Then, they'll start losing again.

Often it happens in starts and stops... most people following a low-carb diet for weight loss do not lose consistently every week... they lose more one, less the next, sometime none at all.

You're not going to experience the fast, drastic weight loss you did in the first two weeks again, either... much of that was water released as your body figured out it wasn't getting the same amount of water-holding carbs.

It WILL work. It takes patience.

And what NOT to eat? Stick to real foods... meats, eggs, veggies, even fruits and whole grains, and skip the pre-packaged stuff like sugar-free/low-carb candies, bars, cereals, etc., etc., etc. You'll be much healthier, and the weightloss part will go much better, too. Making yourself a mock danish, or whipping up some fresh cream will be much better for you than a protein bar or Russell Stover anything. :)

Listen to <b>dizneegirl</b>, she is the real Atkins/low carb expert around here. She has taught me most of what I know and she has been eating low carb for a long time.

She's kind of my hero :teeth:

DizneeGirl-

I have read other posts about cheese and weight loss.

Are they referring to only cream cheese or real cheese also.

Atkins listed real cheese as acceptable, so I have been eating 3-4 oz. per day.

Could this be it?

Honestly, everyone is different. But many people find cutting down on their cheese consumption does help them lose weight faster.

It seems that the harder the cheese, the better off you are... American cheese is probably the biggest staller, but then again, it has the most carbs.

I wonder if it has something to do with cheese having a constipating effect?

I think you're pretty safe with under 4 oz., but you might try only doing that every other day and see if it makes a difference. Or cut down to 2, and see if it makes any difference.

I just kind of clicked on the Wishes forum to see what was here, and I noticed this thread, which was funny because I've been contemplating the Atkins diet for several months now, and keep saying "yes I am going to try it" then "no, I can't do it", so I have not done anything yet. My friend at work went on it a week and 1/2 ago and has already lost 12.5 lbs! She has been exercising and trying to eat right since January, and only lost 10 lbs in 6 months, now on Atkins, 12.5 in 7 days. So this made me think, but tell me, can you EVER eat carbs again? Everytime I decide to try it, I realize that I'm saying I can not have Pizza on the weekend, or that saturday morning donut and coffee in front of the fireplace with my hubby! I'm thinking that realistically, at 45 years of age, I don't think I want to give all that up! Can you give me any advice or direction? Thanks! :(

Tig-girl,

The beautiful thing about Atkins is that you will lose your cravings for those high carb foods like pizza and donuts! Trust me, as wierd as it sounds, it does happen. I have no willpower, and the reason this works for me is because I don't have to have willpower. My appetite and my cravings, especially for all those high carb things I love, is different on the Atkins diet than it's been on any other diet! But you do have to do the induction phase very faithfully, before you'll see this happen to you!

and to Disneyeveryyear, please don't give up!!!

Your experience so far is totally typical on the Atkins Diet. As one who's also obsessed with that reading on the scale, I know how frustrated you are right now. So focus on the other positive signs, like the way your clothes fit!! If you really think about it, that's much more important than a number on the scale.

Eeeek - no cheating at all - I'm terrible at that - at least once a week - well done you!!!

I've been losing around 2-3lbs a week steadily but the inch loss has been amazing
Bust - 45 now 41.5
waist - 42 36
hips - 46 43
tummy - 47 43
thighs - 27 24

Total inches lost - 19.5

And I haven't been concentrating on the exercise at all really - going to start again on the weights next week when everything is more settled.

12.75lbs is amazing for the first week so your body is probably just adjusting itself to your new way of eating - can you get your body fat checked, see if the ratio of fat to muscle is changing - it probably is.

This is my first time trying Adkins. It's been 7 weeks and I'm down 15lbs. I am sticking to the carb count about 18 total per day most days probably 10-12. I am consuming about 80 ounces of water per day. Why the slow weight loss. I average 3.5lbs for the first 3 weeks. Only 5lb in the last 4. Am I doing something wrong.I am not cheating.

First off congrats on your loss! 12.75 is fantastic! So I am just starting back on after falling off the wagon for a month but I did it religiously for 15 weeks and lost 30 pounds. There were 2 different times though that I had no loss for almost 2 weeks. Measure yes, but can I suggest you take pictures. You'll be amazed at the progress you will see. I take a new picture every week in the same spot. As far as food goes. Make sure you are drinking tons of water! Cheese totally stalls me. Also if I don't get enough fat I stall. Fat is the key to losing imo, so lots of butter! Also, like the pp said, try to avoid anything pre packaged. Even pre shredded cheese has a sort of flour coating on it to prevent it from sticking together. I also think all of the pre packaged atkins products with the exception of the shakes, make me stall. If you drink coffee with cream, make sure the cream is not more tha 2 TBS day, that could make you stall.Make sure most of your carbs are coming from veggies. Tomatoes, onions and green beans are great for getting your carb count up. Keep a food journal in the beginning. You may think you are eating enough but find out that you are way under where you should be. Hth some!

I just want to say thanks to everyone for this great post. I'm not a regular on these boards, but I could have written the original posters comment (almost down to the pounds). I'm grateful for all the encouragement and great advice even if it wasn't meant for me. :love::love:

your first loss is water. And that is great! you then train your body to burn fat and not sugar for fuel. the loss will start up again. you can watch youtube videos on Keto and Banting to get your head around the science. It works. I am doing a Keto diet and I am amazed!! Keep doing great. your body loves you for it.

Hey guys, I'm on Keto right now and have been for two weeks. I read somewhere that sometimes if your protein is too high that will turn to fat! It's all about the macros apparently! And yes, do drink tons of water. It helps!!!

I've been following low carb since early January - I've lost 40 pounds and have about 50 more to go until goal. I'm also down from a tight size 22 to a loose size 16.... I'll echo what everyone said -- Measure measure measure.. I'll go weeks "playing" with the same 3 pounds and then whoosh, loose 5 (or gain 2 :( ) Yet, my clothes just keep getting looser & looser, regardless what the scales say.

Anyway, I focus on long term & mini goals. It can be discouraging to not feel like you are loosing because of the # of the scale - be careful to not let that sabotage you.
Instead, I try to focus on how I feel - I don't have all the little ache's that I would normally end the day with. I can physically DO more than I could before, my mind feel's clearer, etc etc. Measurements and Monthly pictures help a lot to help me see the progress when my scales don't show it, which is key to helping me stay motivated and not sabotage the progress I've made so far.
Too much dairy will stall me and also, sugar free treats (jellos candies etc) doesn't stall me, but it "triggers" my hunger which causes me to eat more ....

Good Luck! Remember what you are doing this for, and my favorite motivational thought (goes sometime like this) is "Where will I be in 6 months if I start (or stop) now"....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter