what beach for a day visit?

Disney-Kim

DIS Veteran
What beach would be best for a day visit? Clearwater looks beautiful but we are concerned about sharks.......any opinions........

I think clearwaater ,nicest beach!! we were down there last Sept for 3 days before we went to disney and the kids played in the ocean but i didn't let them go out far.and next yr we are doing the same except going to disney first then to the beach.
Mrsmom
allstar resort Dec95"
hoilday Inn sunspree 98"
westagate lakes Sept 2000"
Hotel royal plaza Feb 2001"
Wyndham Palace and spa Sept 2001"
Westgate lakes Nov 2002"

The St Pete-Clearwater stretch is probably the best for families. The beaches are wide and the surf pretty low, so you get a great choice wherever you go, from Fort de Soto to Caladesi Island. Sharks are not a problem here, either (they are not a problem for beach users in Florida in general terms, but the press do like a good story from time to time).

Check out www.floridasbeach.com for more details - it's a great site.

thanks for the tips...I thougth Clearwater looked the prettiest.
Does anyone know how far the drive is from Orlando? could we do a day trip there?
thanks !!

It`s about an hour and a half drive,nice beaches.
I would try Sand Key Beach, just a little south of Clearwater Beach.
Just over the Sand Key Bridge actually. It's more quiet,less shops,more parking, and
was voted top 10 beaches 2 years in a row nationally. Shopping at Clearwater Beach is still
close by.:smooth:

We spent two days in Clearwater at the Radisson Sand Key resort in May and would highly recommend it. The beach was beautiful - much nicer than the ocean-side beaches. Enjoy your trip!

The west coast beaches are really the best. I think they are a lot prettier than the east coast ones. I don't think you'll have any problems with sharks. A lot of people swim in the ocean so there's bound to be a few biting accidents!

I really like st pete/treasure island area. I'm sure you could do a day trip - just be careful of the times you go so that you don't get stuck in Tampa rush hour traffic!

I liked the sand key park beach, just over the bridge from Clearwater Beach...metered parking. Clearwater beach was nuts on the weekend and no parking, Sand key is very quiet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter