What are your rules on Money?

Buy staples like milk, gasoline, eggs produce and clothing at the lowest possible price where the brand doesn't matter so I have money left over from fun things.

Set a budget for the year every January which includes all expenditures/bills, monthly discretionary spending, travel and retirement savings in retirement and taxable accounts. Once the budget is set....we follow zero based budgeting....every dollar has a place to go. The only two categories we track is monthly discretionary and grocery spending. That's it.

If we're under for the month, the excess goes to the emergency fund. If we're slightly over...we'll roll over to the next month, or pull from the emergency fund depending on the expense. It works...we've been doing this for years and years.

Set a budget for the year every January which includes all expenditures/bills, monthly discretionary spending, travel and retirement savings in retirement and taxable accounts. Once the budget is set....we follow zero based budgeting....every dollar has a place to go. The only two categories we track is monthly discretionary and grocery spending. That's it.

If we're under for the month, the excess goes to the emergency fund. If we're slightly over...we'll roll over to the next month, or pull from the emergency fund depending on the expense. It works...we've been doing this for years and years.
What is zero based budgeting?

Spend more for better quality, in all things. Better quality ends up costing less in the long run, especially when it comes to food. Healthcare for chronic illness is much more expensive than high quality food.

Not many hard and fast rules, other than "pay yourself first" which I learned early on, but didn't always follow when we were younger. Savings always comes directly out before pay ever hits the bank accont. As long as we are saving what we need to for the future, and not going into consumer debt, how we spend the rest doesn't concern me too much.

Like others said, I do believe in paying for quality, it pays off in the long run.

Also over time money became a way to buy experiences and freedom, rather than "stuff". So I guess a rule is spend whatever for great vacations and don't beat myself up over it later. I don't think too many people on their death bed look back and say "man I wish I hadn't done all those great vacations with my family"

We follow a zero-based budget. No unnecessary debt (we will have a mortgage at some point but we don’t live above what we make and save for what we want). Beware of coupons/Black Friday/prime day sales - they can be nice but also can convince you to buy something you weren’t planning to buy because it’s “cheaper”.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter