What are your favorite Urban Legends?

dbm20th

Mickey's Uncle
Popular ones, weird ones, things you think nobody knows. There are so many at WDW, it may be fun to hear some of the greatest hits. My favorite is all that surrounds the ghost in PoTC

But that really happened to my best friend's cousin; it's not a legend at all!

....oops, I'm supposed to post this later after some legends have been listed. ;)

I love the one about Cindy's castle being dismantle-able in a hurricane! On KTTK tour last year the CM said someone asked him if it was true the towers unscrewed :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Hobbes said:
I love the one about Cindy's castle being dismantle-able in a hurricane! On KTTK tour last year the CM said someone asked him if it was true the towers unscrewed :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Travel Channel must have fallen for that one too, because that's where I heard it from. I don't remember if they said the towers could be removed, but they definitely said the castle was designed to withstand hurricane force winds.

Bunch24 said:
Travel Channel must have fallen for that one too, because that's where I heard it from. I don't remember if they said the towers could be removed, but they definitely said the castle was designed to withstand hurricane force winds.

I don't think he was laughing hysterically about the hurricanes, but about someone going up there with a screwdriver and popping the towers off the thing.

Isn't there one about someone getting decapitated on Space Mountain? Because they were standing on the ride?

My personal favorite is the Haunted Mansion story. People who work the ride usually can tell you the story... (about Master Gracey and his wife) and I've heard it from 6 different perspectives, all completely different. However, the Imagineers who created the Haunted Mansion never had a real linear story. The headstones in teh graveyard are all nods and homages to the creators of the ride. (Master Gracey being Yale Gracey) but somehow guests over the years have misconstrued him as being the Master of the castle. No one knows exactly where the story came from...it was just an urban legend that kept growing in size. :)

We heard about the Ghost of George, who died during construction of Pirates.
On our November 2005 trip, we shouted George's name 3 times in the fire scene. (I have read on other threads that this can cause George to do stuff during the ride.... one DISer said the boat in back of them banged into theirs after they shouted his name.....)

Nothing happened when we shouted his name.
We tried it during the day, and at night (creepy)

I guess the CM's need to say good night to George before they shut the ride down for the evening so that there are no technical issues with the ride the next day?????

I also ready that if a door somewhere in the ride is open then George is on the loose, if it is shut, he is resting.

My favorite is the story that the towers on Cinderella's Castle are actually missile silos and are ready for nuclear warfare in the event of an attack. :rotfl2:

I've heard before that Michael Jackson is such a huge fan of "Pirates of the Carribbean" that he had his own version constructed right on his Neverland Ranch property.
Anyone heard this?
(no "who wants the redhead" jokes :) )

RSoxFan said:
My favorite is the story that the towers on Cinderella's Castle are actually missile silos and are ready for nuclear warfare in the event of an attack. :rotfl2:

Come on now, you have to be making that one up!?!?!

When on our KTTK tour our guide showed us a building by Liberty Square Market. He said some people believed that the stone step there was an actual step from Thomas Jefferson's Monticello :confused3 He said people were actually breaking and chipping pieces away so they had to put a gate around it........ come on people like Disney would leave soemthing so valuable unprotected right in the middle of the park :rolleyes:

We shouted George's name and our ride stopped! No lie!! My child freaked out. I had told him the story of George and he was like Yea right. He's 14. Anyway we were riding and I was whispering George and he was saying shut up mama. Then I yelled it and immediantely the ride stopped!!!! It stayed stopped about 30 seconds then started again. Weird!

RSoxFan said:

I've never heard this before. It's hysterical!! :rotfl2:

Skylarr29 said:
When on our KTTK tour our guide showed us a building by Liberty Square Market. He said some people believed that the stone step there was an actual step from Thomas Jefferson's Monticello :confused3 He said people were actually breaking and chipping pieces away so they had to put a gate around it........ come on people like Disney would leave soemthing so valuable unprotected right in the middle of the park :rolleyes:

I read this on allearnet under the tips section when planning my trip. I wondered why they would have something like that and not in the Smithsonian

When I was there in September, I shouted HEY GEORGE 3 times at the fire scene... the boat stopped for quite some time:) I love george!

I wonder what George is thinking during the Pirates Re-hab???

Maybe some CM's and Imagineers will have some tales to tell of occurances during the re-hab.....unless....

"Dead Men tell no Tales......."

I can't wait to ride the new Pirates version.... I wonder if there will still be the "fire scene" to shout for George......

This was on that link Cancilla posted:

The Legend: Walt Disney released live fireflies in Pirates of the Caribbean.

Behind the Legend: On several occasions, Walt Disney tried to liven up attractions with living creatures. For example, he released fireflies into the Pirates of the Caribbean bayou scene, he put a live owl in the Snow White's Scary Adventures haunted forest, mountain goats lived on the Matterhorn for a short time, and after a particularly intense story session for Alice in Wonderland, he briefly toyed with the idea of filling the Monorail with butterflies. The descendants of the cats that Disney brought in to promote The Aristocats can still be seen throughout the park.

I've never seen a cat at Disney... tho I assume they mean disneyLAND.. has anyone?

CinRell said:
I've never seen a cat at Disney... tho I assume they mean disneyLAND.. has anyone?

I actually have seen a cat at Disney World...I was shocked when I saw it....my boyfriend and his brother, nephew and cousin were on Splash Mountain, and a bunch of us were waiting around and watching all the people at the big drop, and around the mountain part, I saw a cat walking around. I wanted to make sure I wasn't seeing things so I pointed it out to my SIL, and sure enough, she saw it too. This was back in October, on a MNSSHP party night, right around 6:30 or so.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter