what are the MAJOR differences-for those who've now cruised?

ldo

DIS Veteran
We're decided between just going to DVC HHI for a few days on the way back from FL or taking a 4 day DCL in Oct. Just 2 adults (kids back in college). For those who've been-what are the MAJOR differences? I read eating only with your party and reservation for pools (could you easily get a pool spot on the fly--like an hour ahead of time?). What was it like after dinner if you didn't go to the show-enough entertainment in lounges, etc.? Were excursions running on CC? And, would you say your overall experience was 75% "normal?"

We were 2 adults on the 8/9 sailing. We did feel the after dinner adult entertainment was limited but we still kept busy. The 2 main shows (Believe and B&TB) were shown 2 nights each. We had limited food at Cabanas which I usually like for the variety (and no sticky buns at Palo brunch). Laundry rooms were closed.

The adult pool and Satellite Falls were come when you want. There was no virtual queue there. Never had an issue getting a choice of chairs or a seat at the Cove Bar. The virtual queue to disembark at CC was not an issue for us. I actually kept joining to check the time then getting out as I wanted later. In the end the 2nd day we didn't need it at all around 9:30/9:45.

The CMS, the beautiful clean ship, and just being on a cruise more than made up for what was missing IMO. I think if you go in knowing its not going to be normal, and if you feel you are ok with that, you will have a wonderful time. :thumbsup2

It doesn't seem like much has changed. I haven't cruised yet but I follow a lot of TAs on social media and all of them claim it's amazing and the magic is still there.

Last edited:

We missed the musical groups (duets or combos-usually two), instead there were two individual performers. We missed late night at the Cove Cafe-It closed at 9pm. We missed The Golden Mickeys (which some people hate). We missed the larger variety of food in Cabanas. We missed the paper Navigators (long gone) and regular restaurant menus, but the app worked OK. The extra preparation hoops to get on board were a pain, but the boarding process was smooth and quick, and for the first time, we walked off the ship (at 9:30am) and walked straight to immigration with NO LINE at all!
But, we LOVED the reduced capacity (1400?) and had a wonderful relaxed time!

Check out the post on favorite DCL podcasts and vlogs and you can get a ton of information about the onboard experience. I have probably watched/listened to about 10 trip reports and they are all very honest. Definitely letting you know what is missing and what experiences are altered.

They almost certainly did. For all DCL's comms have been a clown show for passengers, I have little doubt their influencer marketing wing was in full display for some of the early sailings.
You are spot on with your comments. There were quite a few YouTube and Instagram influencers that were on the first 2 Dream cruises and I am pretty sure DCL comped them all. I also didn't see any negative comments from them. Reminds me of all the fake Yelp reviews.

Deck 13 was never crowded on our 2 cruises last week and we were up there every day. I missed Mickey waffles in cabanas, premade cheese omelets in cabanas - their scrambled eggs were inedible for me - so soft and runny. I missed a larger food selection in cabanas - we eat there 2 meals each day.

I missed the duets (singing couples) that used to perform in the atrium and lounges. They had a violinist and a piano player onboard. They were good, but it wasn’t the same. I missed the variety acts - the juggler, magician, etc. There were none on board.

That was about it. None of these changes will stop us from cruising. We sail again in 6 weeks on the fantasy.

You are spot on with your comments. There were quite a few YouTube and Instagram influencers that were on the first 2 Dream cruises and I am pretty sure DCL comped them all. I also didn't see any negative comments from them. Reminds me of all the fake Yelp reviews.

Or my favorite disclaimer...
The company gave me XYZ but my opinions are all my own.

No they aren't. If you express negative opinions, you will stop getting XYZ!

Deck 13 was never crowded on our 2 cruises last week and we were up there every day. I missed Mickey waffles in cabanas, premade cheese omelets in cabanas - their scrambled eggs were inedible for me - so soft and runny. I missed a larger food selection in cabanas - we eat there 2 meals each day.

I missed the duets (singing couples) that used to perform in the atrium and lounges. They had a violinist and a piano player onboard. They were good, but it wasn’t the same. I missed the variety acts - the juggler, magician, etc. There were none on board.

That was about it. None of these changes will stop us from cruising. We sail again in 6 weeks on the fantasy.

Yes, the eggs were the worst! And we didnt even have cheese omelets.

The the biggest difference as an observer of this forum and other cruise line vlogs, people have very unrealistic expectations. This is a soft opening. We are still in the middle of a historic health crisis. Ships have been out of service for a year. Think, Maiden Voyage, or the voyages after a dry dock. There are things not back to normal. Plus the cruise lines are dealing with Ports making decisions on little of nor notice that impact their ability to cruise. So go with your eyes open. Nothing is normal right now, and we just got a Viking cruise catalog yesterday and their big push is 2023 cruises. We just may have to wait a while......maybe another year....for more normalcy. But somethings may change forever.

The the biggest difference as an observer of this forum and other cruise line vlogs, people have very unrealistic expectations. This is a soft opening. We are still in the middle of a historic health crisis.
I totally get this! At first, I was a "no go" due to Delta. But now with everyone over 12 being Vax, that concern has dramatically lessened. However, even at discounted pricing, I just don't see this cruise experience "worth it" for us as a couple. We're not picky or entitled people. But, OTOH, we don't "have" to cruise. And, if it's not really the same DCL experience, for us, why go? It's not a family vacation and without more adult entertainment, it sounds like DVC HHI with a few good HHI seafood dinners might work just as well. thanks, everyone.

We did the Magic UK staycations. Things we missed:

-snacks in bars
-less films in cinema to accommodate character meet n greets
-no activities in kids clubs open houses - literally just the space to walk around. Also, kids activities just repeated all day long.
-actual meeting and interacting with characters - although the appear and wave did mean for less character time, we found it wasn't negative as we spent less time in line.... the odd interaction and personal photo would have been nice though.
-poor selection in Cabanas.
-not being able to spend extended time in the rainforest or the sauna in the changing rooms.

We were fortunate enough to do a UK staycation with Virgin Voyages. It was world's apart. No masks required (not that that's a deal breaker for us, we are happy wearing masks), grab and go food available, generally more relaxed and less regimented than disney. Admittedly its adults only and obviously has brand differences.

With all the changes on disney, one thing that glaringly stood out on this cruise - the food quality and the fact that menus haven't changed FOR YEARS is getting old now. We know what we are going to eat every cruise - because they never change the menus! There is no element of surprise. No effort made for variations.

I totally get this! At first, I was a "no go" due to Delta. But now with everyone over 12 being Vax, that concern has dramatically lessened. However, even at discounted pricing, I just don't see this cruise experience "worth it" for us as a couple. We're not picky or entitled people. But, OTOH, we don't "have" to cruise. And, if it's not really the same DCL experience, for us, why go? It's not a family vacation and without more adult entertainment, it sounds like DVC HHI with a few good HHI seafood dinners might work just as well. thanks, everyone.

We visited HHI last August and this May. Wonderful vacations. Heartwarming to see families and dogs having fun on the beach with excellent self-practice of social distancing.

Hope you have a great time.

We vacationed in HHI with Disney last October. It was our first visit there and we loved it. Would definitely go back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter