What are the Deluxe Villas?

Cash reservation in the Disney Reservation system (where you can book the non DVC hotels right?). In a location where not everyone's room is serviced daily, do they tend to get through mousekeeping earlier in the day?
Correct, you get daily full cleaning. Vacuuming, bed making, dishes washed, etc. It takes longer to clean a villa than it does a hotel room.

Thanks for the information! I'm super excited to stay DVC for the first time, and hopefully this will convince my family to make the switch over to using points.

Just booked my first ever cash reservation for 2 Bedroom Villa at BLT. For daily mousekeeping, what does that entail? I get the bed made/sheets changed, garbage taken out, and towels refreshed daily? Do I need to vacuum for myself? Also, I booked a standard view but would be interested in potentially upgrading to a Bay Lake view, should I just keep checking back on the regular to see if a room "opens up" or if I don't see one now it's not going to change? The theme park view is about 2500 more for a week than the standard room and isn't exactly worth it, but Bay Lake seems to be a step in between I might want.

As far as the view goes I would keep what you have. Last year we were there with a 1 bedroom with a standard view and we ended up having a great view of the fireworks for MK. I am not a fan of the lake view since we had that once it is was less lake and more like I was looking across into someones else balcony area.

And where does Disney get the rooms from? The members who want to rent their rooms? How often are actual members in their own rooms (or does one not get an assigned room, just own DVC In a particular hotel)?

Vacation Club members who bought in at the resort get first choice at rooms, followed by other DVC members, then several months before travel dates they will be released to the public who pay cash. You don't own a room, you own a number of points at a certain property.

As far as the view goes I would keep what you have. Last year we were there with a 1 bedroom with a standard view and we ended up having a great view of the fireworks for MK. I am not a fan of the lake view since we had that once it is was less lake and more like I was looking across into someones else balcony area.
Yeah I went on the touring plans website and looked at the room views of the standard 2 bedrooms, and some of them are surprisingly good...now to just hope I don't get the room by the dumpsters ;).

Vacation Club members who bought in at the resort get first choice at rooms, followed by other DVC members, then several months before travel dates they will be released to the public who pay cash. You don't own a room, you own a number of points at a certain property.
Not quite. A certain percentage of the villas at each resort are owned by Disney. Those can be offered for cash reservations at any time. Some villas are released to Disney by DVC when members use their points for ABD, DCL or for a hotel room stay. Those villas can appear at any point within the year. At 60 days prior to the beginning of a reservation date, DVC will release unreserved villas to Disney for cash reservations.

There are two completely separate sets of room inventory for the DVC resorts. Disney owns a very small (< 10%) pool of inventory of the sold-out resorts, and those rooms are made available to the public for cash reservations if they're not being used to swap out for rooms being refurbed or having maintenance issues. That's generally what you see available on Disney's reservation site. You'll also see inventory for the newer resorts that DVC hasn't fully sold yet.

The much greater portion of the inventory is owned by members, and non-members never have access to that pool of rooms. That's why it's not really correct to say that members get first crack at the DVC rooms. Members can book the inventory they own, the general public can book the inventory that Disney owns.

(Note: There are some very specific situations, as @Marionnette mentioned, where member inventory can move into Disney's inventory. When a member exchanges out of the DVC system for a cruise or other vacation, DVC gives a room of comparable value to Disney to book for cash, which is used to pay for the member's exchange. Also, at 60 days out, DVC gives unused member inventory to Disney to book for cash, and that money comes back as breakage income to the resort.)

There are two completely separate sets of room inventory for the DVC resorts. Disney owns a very small (< 10%) pool of inventory of the sold-out resorts, and those rooms are made available to the public for cash reservations if they're not being used to swap out for rooms being refurbed or having maintenance issues. That's generally what you see available on Disney's reservation site. You'll also see inventory for the newer resorts that DVC hasn't fully sold yet.

The much greater portion of the inventory is owned by members, and non-members never have access to that pool of rooms. That's why it's not really correct to say that members get first crack at the DVC rooms. Members can book the inventory they own, the general public can book the inventory that Disney owns.

(Note: There are some very specific situations, as @Marionnette mentioned, where member inventory can move into Disney's inventory. When a member exchanges out of the DVC system for a cruise or other vacation, DVC gives a room of comparable value to Disney to book for cash, which is used to pay for the member's exchange. Also, at 60 days out, DVC gives unused member inventory to Disney to book for cash, and that money comes back as breakage income to the resort.)
So at the 60 day mark out from my trip, I should be able to see if potentially there are any Bay Lake view rooms that weren't used, but if I don't see it now I won't see it until then. Got it. Thanks! Seems like it might just be worthwhile to stay with a standard view anyways.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter